bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We have a 80mm water bottle, ? and 50mm flask of coffee. ? Bob.
He meant 800ml water and 500ml coffee. Each. Which is what I always take walking in the mountains too, plus Izzy's water and maybe an extra water if it is looking really warm weather. I love a flask and my packed lunch. And a view. It is not just about the exercise ? Janie

joemocks79

Free Member
Nov 17, 2019
Brighton, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm a newbie
I can recommend a hydration pack over a bottle.
1. They keep the water cool all day
2. They hold up to 2 litres
3. They don't weigh a lot and you can also carry additional items in the backpack such as an extra layer, a hat, snacks etc.
4. They aren't very expensive if you go for a non camel-bak. I've been using BTR who are based in the UK and they also sell cleaning kits so you can air out the bladder and brushes to clean the pipes. You can use Milton sterilising fluid to get rid of any biofilm just like cleaning out your motorhome water tank every season.
When storing it for a long time, I just slip a sheet of kitchen roll into the bladder to absorb any remaining moisture and it stays dry and sanitary.

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
I take two 700ml bottles with electrolyte tabs in, 2nd bottle is frozen overnight. If I need more fluid on longer rides (50miles+) then coffee stops will normally refill one for me ?
Cheers. Nige

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
When kayaking we use water bottles.

I've had green growth inside camelpacks and the like which puts me off.

With water bottles you can also move them round for balance if necessary.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
In principal for my road bike rides:

up to 50km rides i take 1 x 700ml bottle with water in
50 - 100km rides i take 1 x 500ml bottle with an isotonic powder mixed in and 1 x 500ml with water
+100km rides as above but both with an iso powder mixed in

if i need more then i just stop at a cafe or garage to fill up with water.

I would simply buy a bottle at cage at decathlon (about £5) and see how you get on, you can easily add another as your rides get longer. Decathlon also sell CamelBak type devices which are cheaper.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
For those who use a Camelbak etc and want it cleaned properly.... I use Chemgene. This is produced for AP Valves to disinfect their rebreather counterlungs. As a one time rebreather diver I had a bottle of this in my cupboard and it works well for my Camelbak. It is odourless and tasteless and if it can kill all the nasties from something you are going to breath through then cleaning a water bladder is easy....

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
I have a Klim, this is a 3ltre back pack very comfy. I use when out on the motorbike, now I use it when out on the cycle, it has a special system that allows the air circulation around your back as well. Easy to remove inner bladder and strip down, turn inside out to clean, love it.

Cost, well it is expensive, but well worth it to me.

Keep safe every one, see you at the campsites when or if they open this year.

Flook

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
A plastic water bottle with the top and bottom cut off, placed into the empty and cleaned bladder helps it dry out completely and keeps it aired. Even the tube dries out quickly.

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
I always use a camelpark HAWG. (holds a lot of water and gear).with 3 litre bladder, on road or MTB.
Only fill with water and put in the fridge the night before, or if it’s hot sometimes put some ice cubes in.
Yes it was expensive but the new models have a much improved system to keep most of the bag off your back.
Because the bladder shrinks as it gets empty you’ve got more room for your stuff, the bag also has straps that you can tighten to make it smaller.

To clean the bladder I put in a spoonful of bicarbonate of soda, fill a 1/3rd with water squeeze out the air give it a shake and leave for a few hours.
Rinse and hang upside down with the cap open. I use one of those trouser hangers with the spring clips.
I’ve got the cleaning kit as mentioned above.

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
Personally couldn't put up with something on my back for a long ride.

My roadbikes always had two bottle cages; my touring/audax bike has three. As well as the usual bidons, the cages also fit most one-litre bottles of water bought from the supermarket and I also have steel flasks that fit (for hot drinks on winter rides).

Unless you are really off the beaten track, there is generally somewhere to refill anyway (except now with Covid of course).

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Now I do the odd long (for me) ride and summer approaching. Which way is best to go. Bottle or back pack. Also what do you guy put in just water ?

How long are you expecting to be out of your house on your ride? It would have to be very hot for me to use more than 2 x 750ml bidons on a 3-4 hour ride and it is rare to not find a shop to buy water if you need it because the ride is longer or hotter than expected.

I have several hydration packs but, IMHO, they are a faff so I only use them on mtb rides if I am expecting to be out for several hours otherwise a bidon is sufficient unless you're going on rough terrain where they can fall out. They are also difficult to pace when drinking - working out how much you have drunk and have left is difficult unless you stop and check the bag ... more faff. Then then to clean them and store them .... faff.

If you are going fast and for more than 90 mins or so I would use something like Hi-5 2:1 or 4:1 but to get started, diluted orange juice and a bit of salt should be sufficient. All will provide extra energy and help with hydration. The 4:1 can help reduce muscle ache after hard rides.

I would avoid freezing water; you might find that you become refreshed with the cold drink but not consume enough to become hydrated.

Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
I use a camelpack for my mtb rides and i clean it by soaking it in a bowl of milton

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back