Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
It appears that we have fat in the waste tank.....we took our Haarvey in yesterday to have a ??leak in the waste tank area and were told that there was a lot of grease in there. :(:cry: Harvey is a 'new to us' MH but had a previous owner....I'm pescatarian and though MOH is carnivore I don't put fat down the sink...we use site facilities on the rare occassions when I cook him anything fatty. I use olive oil or rapeseed oil for cooking.
We need to get rid of the fatty stuff in the tank ....has anyone tried any of the waste tank cleaners? and are they any good for getting rid of ughhhhh fat :eek::eek:? Which one is best for this :unsure::confused::confused:???

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Been getting away since 2008
Empty your tank, put 1/2 dozen bottles of full fat Rola Cola in, have a drive around and leave a couple of days. That should sort you out.
Or you could use expensive tank cleaners but cola sorts it.

OP
OP
Pia

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Empty your tank, put 1/2 dozen bottles of full fat Rola Cola in, have a drive around and leave a couple of days. That should sort you out.
Or you could use expensive tank cleaners but cola sorts it.
Thanks ever so much....off out now to get the Cola:D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Pund shop Mr mustil two bottils then half fill the tank drive round for a few days the dump
Mis up sum calgon tabs fill tank half full drive rund and dump after a few days every month or so desolve for calgon tabs with a cettel of boiling before a trip it it will be cleaner than a munks habit
Bill

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Never found the cola trick any good. Only things I've found that work are bio washing liquid, fill the tank with hot water put a good dose in and drive for few hours.
More expensive but works best is the Thetford waste tank cleaner.

Reactions: DBK
May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Thetford tank cleaner diluted as per instructions worked for my tank and probably less expensive that putting lots of cola

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Thetford tank cleaner diluted as per instructions worked for my tank and probably less expensive that putting lots of cola
The cheaper the cola the better, doesn't need to be branded gear, the tank's not fussy.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Never found the cola trick any good. Only things I've found that work are bio washing liquid, fill the tank with hot water put a good dose in and drive for few hours.
My Dad was a butcher and he used to scrub the bake house floor with cola, works a treat.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I put the same stuff, bio washing liquid, as I use in the crapper. Also hand wash your smalls in the sink with lots of hot water and bio liquid, empty sink and drive about a bit keeps the grease down too and saves water too. Drain down after a day or so, Sorted.

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I put the same stuff, bio washing liquid, as I use in the crapper. Also hand wash your smalls in the sink with lots of hot water and bio liquid, empty sink and drive about a bit keeps the grease down too and saves water too. Drain down after a day or so, Sorted.

If I washed my smalls in the sink, fat in the waste tank would be the least of my worries!:)

Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I imagine that cola will work as the active ingredients are Phosphoric acid and Citric acid. Both of these can be bought quite cheaply and added to the tank for a through clean.

OP
OP
Pia

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
tank now has a 3 large bottles of Cola from Aldi in it ...we are off out tomorrow so we'll see if it works...lot of other things to try if it doesn't......thanks to all the helpful suggestions on here.:D(y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
That sounds OTT !
Might be but it works for me I put it down the bath room plug hole the shower pluge hole the sink for whasing up leave over night then poor lots of hot water down them till tank I half full and drive round
Once it's done
And good and clean calgon tabs desolved and pord Dow the plug holes helps to keep them smelling nice each to there own Ways
Just nice to share if no one trys it I don't care
Bill

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
That sounds OTT !
Might be but it works for me I put it down the bath room plug hole the shower pluge hole the sink for whasing up leave over night then poor lots of hot water down them till tank I half full and drive round
Once it's done
And good and clean calgon tabs desolved and pord Dow the plug holes helps to keep them smelling nice each to there own Ways
Just nice to share if no one trys it I don't care
Bill

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Biological clothes washing liquid, same stuff as we use in the toilet cassette. £1 for a litre from Aldi.
Both receptacles stay "spotless" ( and smell very nice as well. )
BUT. I CAN recommend a litre of Cola for a "gippy belly". A doctor told me that " it will either come up and cure it, or go down and cure it ".
;)
Mitch.

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
Smells and cleaning can be avoided if you leave the dump valve open :reel:

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
tank now has a 3 large bottles of Cola from Aldi in it ...we are off out tomorrow so we'll see if it works...lot of other things to try if it doesn't......thanks to all the helpful suggestions on here.:D(y)

Our camper is 13 years old now and I doubt the grey water tank has been cleaned out in that time so thought I would give it the cola treatment as @Pia .
Poured in 6 litres of cheap Aldi cola on Sunday morning and went for a bumpy and wobbley ride around the country lanes for five or six miles, did the same this morning and the drained the grey tank down. Verdict, yes cheap cola does work and a pretty impressive job at that. Interested to see if @Pia had the same results.

Had several buckets of this grot. I'll give it another go at the end of the season.

greytank.jpg

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
I had a this problem and and tried cola ect but no good BUT the thetford tank cleaner cleared the lot

Dec 20, 2010
birmingham
Funster No
MH
kon-tiki 669. mazda bongo
Exp
since2011
I wipe all cooking utensils and plates down with kitchen roll. So nothing really goes down the waste pipe.

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
ran hot water though my tank for an hour, and then dumped 8 litres of coke into it yesterday , will stand for week or two now, but will flush it through

OP
OP
Pia

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
Interested to see if @Pia had the same results.
Well....the coke didn't seem to do much...we've put a whole bottle of Aldi bio liquid in but have yet to see how that has done. If that fails we shall use Thetford tank cleanaer...I think the previous owners were very fond of bacon....and clearly poured the fat down the sink with alacrity :(it may take a time to get congealed fat cleaned:eek:. Fortunately, bacon is not on our menu when we travel :Dand I wipe the plates etc clean with kitchen roll befre washing:D. We usually use facilities to wash BBQ or pour boiling water and fairy liquid on to the BBQ plates to remove cooked food, empty that into a bowl and empty the bowl outside as appropriate depending where we are. Coffee pot is emptied into a hedge (coffee grains make good compost) or down a drain NEVER down the sink.

May 22, 2015
Wem Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E Line 51QB
Exp
Well....the coke didn't seem to do much...we've put a whole bottle of Aldi bio liquid in but have yet to see how that has done. If that fails we shall use Thetford tank cleanaer...I think the previous owners were very fond of bacon....and clearly poured the fat down the sink with alacrity :(it may take a time to get congealed fat cleaned:eek:. Fortunately, bacon is not on our menu when we travel :Dand I wipe the plates etc clean with kitchen roll befre washing:D. We usually use facilities to wash BBQ or pour boiling water and fairy liquid on to the BBQ plates to remove cooked food, empty that into a bowl and empty the bowl outside as appropriate depending where we are. Coffee pot is emptied into a hedge (coffee grains make good compost) or down a drain NEVER down the sink.
Sorry it hasnt worked, I have just refreshed mine in between sites (countries) and left it over night. It works a treat for us tbh but I have done it from new.
Like you say the bacon has took its toll.

Rob

Reactions: Pia

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010

It would appear that there is no all round product suited to clean all grey waste tanks, very much a case of what works for you.
I first tried Thetford tank cleaner a couple of months back and the results I thought were poor so I thought I would give the cola a try and I had good results with it although I think there's still a few years of grot in there to be loosened and removed. I'll give the Aldi bio a go next.

Reactions: Pia

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back