Want to use my 1965 Morris Minor as a towed car. Advice please... (1 Viewer)

Sep 9, 2019
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 632
Exp
Since Sept 2019
Boys n Girls,

I dragged Boris the Morris out of the lockup two weeks ago and, having re-furbed the brakes, (hydraulic but only single circuit although modified to a disc front drum rear set up) and the fuel pump, and listened to my new SWMBO who insisted on a sex and name change, (can't think why....?) (Maisie now I think??) I am planning to tow her behind our Autotrail Apache 632. I've seen plenty of owners towing with an A-frame set up, can you learned Yoda types out there advise on a particular kit to buy please? I need advice regarding tow bar, advice regarding MoHo electrics, advice regarding the A-frame, advice regarding the braking system to activate the Morris brakes and finally advice on the lighting for the Morris, brake lights, indicators, side lights etc. The Morris doesn't have the benefit of a steering locked steering wheel, the brakes don't need/have a servo and the lighting system is 1960's rudimentary.

Constructive comments please! Over to you oh learned Jedi Yoda types!!

Cheers!

Russ

Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
I wouldn't do it --

Stone chips on the front.
Wear on the elderly transmission.
Stresses on the elderly steering and suspension.

I would never consider submitting my elderly car to such treatment after a friend tried it with a car a bit older than your Moggy and regretted the damage to the front from grit etc. These old classic cars deserve better.

PS Mine is a 1946 VW Beetle which I don't mind driving on long European trips but wouldn't consider 'A Framing' it except in an emergency.

<Broken link removed>

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The answer is a resolute no, to have the car adapted as there is no kit made for the old banger would cost more than you might expect. Then the wear and tear to a vintage vehicle with ancient suspension and gearbox would be considerable.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jan 17, 2014
Wellington, Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1977
The answer is a resolute no, to have the car adapted as there is no kit made for the old banger would cost more than you might expect. Then the wear and tear to a vintage vehicle with ancient suspension and gearbox would be considerable.

Please don't refer to classic cars as ' old bangers '.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2017
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
Lunar Champ H621
Exp
15yrs
Having experienced the stone chips when A framing I would certainly endorse the idea of a trailer but also with a vehicle cover
Have Fun
Mike

Upvote 0
Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
i would not consider A framing a classic it's just to-much for them and theirs so-many things to take in to consideration.
where and tare on diff and gearbox driveshaft bearings are the brakes up to it drum brakes.
steering wishbones track-rod ends ball joints it all old technology.
then theirs the Waite to consider
I personally would tralor it and a good tralor will do you in franc and Spain
bill

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
I wouldn't consider any vehicle on a A frame across the water, those that have got away with it thus far have been lucky I reckon.
A trailer would be the most sensible option, but I guess that makes it more expensive to stay on some campsites....if they allow trailers that is.
LES

Upvote 0
Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Might fall foul of latest rulings as will be difficult and a custom job to incorporate braking?
Speak to one of the big a frame fitters. They must have been asked before.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I wouldn't consider any vehicle on a A frame across the water, those that have got away with it thus far have been lucky I reckon.
A trailer would be the most sensible option, but I guess that makes it more expensive to stay on some campsites....if they allow trailers that is.
LES
Over the past three years or so I haven't found any campsite that charges extra for a car & trailer or one that doesn't allow them. CMC and CC sites go out of their way to recommend the best pitches - even asking whether I'd prefer to remain hitched. One CL did try it on but I pointed across the way at the 26ft caravan and Range Rover. They backed down.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I disagree with all the doom-mongers. The Moggy Thou is easily robust enough to be towed - certainly using it in this way is less harmful than it sitting in storage. It's systems & brakes especially are more than sufficient for what is a 4 wheeled trailer weighing considerably less than any modern car. Track rod ends have changed little in design over the years and unladen the suspension is doing nothing. The front bumper is a real bumper and is attached to chassis extensions ideal for A frame connection. It has non of the issues associated with complex electronics. If you don't mind stone chips or are prepared to guard against them go for it. I think you'll find any A frame manufacturer worth his salt won't charge an arm and a leg because it'll be the easiest job he's had for a long time. A company with any commonsense would see it as excellent publicity for his business.

I've had three of them in the past, have done a couple of engine conversions, and I'm totally familiar with the structure and mechanics. They're brilliant cars.

Upvote 0
Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Back to your original question: a 7 pin socket wired to the appropriate lights on the car will connect to a towbar socket on the motorhome. There are two braking methods: the first which is falling out of favour but would suit your simplistic set-up is an overrun (trailer or caravan) hitch on the A-frame a cable from which passes through a hole in the bulkhead that aligns with the brake pedal. A simple loop around the pedal or a clevis and pin arrangement allows the overrun hitch to apply the car brakes; the second method involes a box containing a servo motor that is placed between the car seat squab front and the brake pedal. the servo output rod pushes the pedal when the box electronics sense deceleration. Being electronic it can be tweaked to suit the car and minor adjustments in use can be arranged from a remote control at the motorhome driving position. Personally I'd go for the simple overrun arrangement for your purposes.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
hope it works out for you, whichever way you go. my first car was a MM, 1963 - it was 1980 and there were still some on the road. i taught myself to weld and put new cills on that i my dad manufactured at work (when we had a thriving engineering workforce) - i think he made them from armoured tank gauge metal LOL.

i think i still have the original owners service/repair manual somewhere, a loose leaf ring binder. everything was simple those days, including starting with the starting handle if necessary !!!

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
LES
I have towed a Harley on a trailer a lot and never had a problem on any site, it's no different than a car and caravan

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Know nothing about a frames, but I presume the mileometer is still working while towed so adding to the milage of both vehicles, small point but it's there.

Upvote 0

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
Could be difficult to set up the brake, unlike most vehicles, with a pivot mounted above the pedal, so you push the pedal forwards to brake, the standard Morris Minor set up uses a pivot below the pedal inside the chassis member so the pedal moves downwards to activate the brakes, it can be done but will either need a pivoting lever below the floor or a loop of cable as the entry point will need to be 90 degrees to the floor.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2015
Shropshire, UK
Funster No
MH
A motorhome!
Exp
we are still learning
Know nothing about a frames, but I presume the mileometer is still working while towed so adding to the milage of both vehicles, small point but it's there.
A frame towing does nothing to the mileage Guys on cars. The gear box has to be driven for it to record mileage on Moggy's of which it wont be. Most newer cars have electronic mile counters working in line with the Alternator and the gearbox. Towed for some time now with Smart cars and Fiats none of which turn the miles over.

Kev

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
One thing that you seemed to have missed is weight considerations. How much does the Moggie weigh and how much will the motorhome weigh while you are towing it? Dont forget to include the weights of the towbar and A frame. Add that all up and if it is greater than the plated maximum train weight of the motorhome the idea is dead in the water

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
A frame towing does nothing to the mileage Guys on cars. The gear box has to be driven for it to record mileage on Moggy's of which it wont be. Most newer cars have electronic mile counters working in line with the Alternator and the gearbox. Towed for some time now with Smart cars and Fiats none of which turn the miles over.

Kev
It's not worth arguing about, but from my experience of old motors if you put them out of gear and coast the Speedo still works.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I think.on older cars like the this the speedo drive is on the final drive on the gearbox so will still operate whenever the wheels turn

Kev

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back