Free Member
Sep 17, 2018
Beckenham
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
2 years
My family has been going on holiday in a rented motor home for the past couple of years, and we are so pleased we tried it. The distinct lack of constant planning & scheduling is a relief.

We are now ready to move to the next level I think, and a purchase is on the horizon, so here I am for advice, guidance and suggestions!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
as for your poll, avoid anything made by swift or autotrail as build quality is crap and they leak from brand new

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 2, 2017
South Kent Coast.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2004
My family has been going on holiday in a rented motor home for the past couple of years, and we are so pleased we tried it. The distinct lack of constant planning & scheduling is a relief.

We are now ready to move to the next level I think, and a purchase is on the horizon, so here I am for advice, guidance and suggestions!
Before any advice can be given it would be helpful to know your budget and the number of people you are expecting to travel and sleep in your new motorhome.

OP
OP
Chris Mac

Chris Mac

Free Member
Sep 17, 2018
Beckenham
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
2 years
I'm new to this forum stuff too (a late developer) so was pleased to see such an abundance of mixed responses, thanks to you all...

Ambulancekidd, I have ditched the hat, thanks for that advice!

Figaro, the layout is pretty much set in stone now, the Swift 649 and K-Yacht are similar and are what we want, the Swift has a bit more in the length dept, but the Mobilvetta is a little more modern in feel, although the oven is tiny, but that's a compromise I'm happy to make.

TheBig1, thanks for the advice on the Swift, is that a generally accepted opinion/fact, or just personal experience? Don't mean to offend there, just clarifying.

Daveandjen, the budget, although not obtained yet, is around the 70 - 80k mark, and I can get both vehicles for around that, minus kitting them out of course, we are yet to get to that.

Thanks so much again everyone, appreciate your time and expertise!

Feb 16, 2017
Maidstone
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
20 years
Hi Chris and welcome to the site.
I have owned a second hand Swift Bolero for 2 years now and use it winter and summer.
I have just returned from a 3 month tour around France , Spain etc.
I experienced the huge thunderstorms that hit France this year and the campsite I was on was flooded badly.
The point of this is I have not had a single issue with water ingress in the Swift so don't be put off, ask around on this site and the swift forums that are also out there, I may have been lucky but I talk to other Swift owners I meet on the road and have not had any negative feedback on water ingress, most seemed very happy with the choices, any regrets were more in layout, locker sizes etc.
Hope that helps.

Mark

OP
OP
Chris Mac

Chris Mac

Free Member
Sep 17, 2018
Beckenham
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
2 years
Thanks Shrosie, appreciate the response, there's certainly some mixed responses out there about Swift, so I'll keep an open mind still.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
The thing about news is that there's always plenty of bad, but you never hear of the good.

As a 9-year Swift owner I'm also quite happy to debunk the idea that all Swift motorhomes are rubbish, not only mine but many others I've met too. Yes, there will always be one or two with problems, as there is with every other brand of motorhome.

I also think the same applies to Autotrails too.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As a family the most important question will be what is the maximum gross weight (MGW) and payload (difference between MGW and MIRO) of each? Also what licence do you hold? You will need a C1 licence for anything with a MGW above 3500kg. And if you passed your test after 1997 (I think that is the year) you will not have the C1 unless you have also passed a test for that as well.

I am afraid it is difficult to find one at 3500kg that has enough space and payload for a family. Not impossible, but you really need to look into this as a priority.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
I certainly wouldn't go near a Swift far too many water ingress problems. Mobilvetta is typical of Italian vans they tend to go for bling rather than solid build I don't know about Mobilvetta but other budget Italian brands also suffer from water ingress. I think you would be better spending you money on a budget or a s/h German made van.

You will need the Mobilvetta on the heavy chassis it does not have enough payload to run legaly at 3500 kg so you will need a C1 licence.
Don't forget any manufacturer or dealer fitted extras reduces your payload. For a family of 4 you need a payload of 800 - 1000 kg.

OP
OP
Chris Mac

Chris Mac

Free Member
Sep 17, 2018
Beckenham
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
2 years
Great additional advice since my last post. I have the C1 license since 1987 so I'm all good, and the upgraded weight option will be a must. I am contemplating extending my license so I can tow a Smart car too, but that will a consideration for much later on.

I was a little concerned about the build quality of the Mobilvetta, as mentioned, it looks great, but maybe doesn't had the more solid feel the Swift had. Guess trying to keep weight down whilst trying to incorporate a lot "things" comes at a cost.

Lenny HB, (and this question could backfire) but any suggestions on a German wagon that's 7.5m long roughly, with two single beds at the rear, a good size living space, and smart looking for 70k?

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate all the advice.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny HB, (and this question could backfire) but any suggestions on a German wagon that's 7.5m long roughly, with two single beds at the rear, a good size living space, and smart looking for 70k?
How about a Hymer Exsis i678, that was our last van the latest model has vastly improved, we currently have a 2017 B678 DL main difference being the Exsis doesn't have the double floor but it is still well insulated and fully winterised. UK prices will take it above 70k but we always buy in Belgium and save a fortune.

OP
OP
Chris Mac

Chris Mac

Free Member
Sep 17, 2018
Beckenham
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
2 years
Ah ha, buy in Belgium eh, not thought of that.... Hmmmm

Layout of the Hymer is what we had considered, spot on, not 100% sure about the external looks in comparison to the Mobilvetta or the Kontiki, but that's totally personal.

Going to look more into this Belgian option, thanks for that!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back