Waeco CR110, runs ok & cools down, switches off & on a few times before finally switching off? (1 Viewer)

Andy-in-weymouth

Free Member
Jun 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion - Sprinter
Exp
Hi Guys,

First post so any help would be appreciated.

I installed this fridge (new) in a Sprinter about 4 years ago and it worked fine until the leisure batteries started to fail (it is 12v only). During that time I improved the venting which is only internal and also added 2 extra fans to circulate the air around the heat exchanger.

During the past year, the fridge works ok (replaced batteries with 2 AGM and increased wire csa to reduce voltage drops), I have noticed that the fridge cools correctly and then switches off. Within a few seconds it starts up again and runs for a few seconds before switching off. This can be repeated for another 2 or 3 times then the thermostat can be heard latching closed properly and the fridge remains off for the next 1/2 - 1 hour before the cooling cycle starts once more.

Looking at the manual, I can see it is easy to remove the thermostat and capillary tube - not sure about checking it apart from a quick visual.

Has anyone else experienced this and know of the solution - it was an expensive fridge and I don't really want to replace it if I can avoid doing so.

Many thanks,

Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
:welco:
I would check it's not a problem with your batteries first. AGM batteries are pretty useless for lesiure vehicle often fail with the capacity often falling off in under 2 years.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We have a Waeco coolbox that can do the same thing. With ours, and it may be the same with yours, it has a low voltage cut-off. When it senses the voltage dropping it switches off and when the voltage recovers from say solar input it turns back on. This cycle repeats.

The only answer I've found is to turn it off until you have more power.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
A

Andy-in-weymouth

Free Member
Jun 2, 2019
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion - Sprinter
Exp
Thanks both, I will check that when out next - as soon as it plays up I can check the LEDS inside the fridge to see if it is low voltage.

The batteries were both new about 6 months ago and only used 3 times since. We have a 150w solar panel on the roof which keeps the batteries topped up.

I was wondering if the bi metallic strip on the thermostat had become corroded and this was causing the irregular switching off / on - a sort of arcing problem.

The fridge is cold so no problem there and it starts up correctly - just wont shut down normally until 3 or 4 attempts.

It could be voltage as you say - this was the problem when the last batteries failed - but it manifested itself on start up instead.

Thanks,

Andy

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
If you've only had cause to use your batteries 3 times in 6 months, what sort of maintenance regime have you in place for them ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
So it's a mechanical thermostat not electronic controller? Unusual these days.

A couple of thoughts spring to mind. You say it keeps clicking off? This could be the compressor overload Klixon, they operate when the compressor either takes too much current or simply overheats.. Check the condenser fins are clean, shine a torch in and check. It's unlikely the compressor is duff at 4 years old.

Most probably though, the thermostat may well be faulty, I've had them in the past switch randomly and temperatures fluctuating all over the place.

Tip of the day.
You can increase the thermostat differential by either lagging the phial/sensor. Or shoving it inside something dense (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back