LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Your handbook should state the wattage of your fridge Mel.
To find out how many Amps you are using divide that figure by the voltage.

The wattage should also be on a plate somewhere on your fridge. ::bigsmile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
well I wasted another 10 minutes of my life

I was getting a bit excited when I saw this thread.. someone was going to explain the issues of volts, watts and amps... so I read, and read and I am still waiting.

The chart is useful I will say that, but I have got a bit lost with the hose and tap and butt ends... where do you plug those in to?

Bob:helpsos:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I was getting a bit excited when I saw this thread.. someone was going to explain the issues of volts, watts and amps... so I read, and read and I am still waiting.

The chart is useful I will say that, but I have got a bit lost with the hose and tap and butt ends... where do you plug those in to?

Bob:helpsos:

Bob..

Old Mo explaind in no uncertain details about Big ends And Butts, the hose he has is 12 Dennier fishnet and a Brass Tap...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Your handbook should state the wattage of your fridge Mel.
To find out how many Amps you are using divide that figure by the voltage.

The wattage should also be on a plate somewhere on your fridge. ::bigsmile:

Ken.... I know about the above amps divide, or times amps, voltage, watts ....I was just being lazy I am sitting here on the Med (south of France)at the mo replying on Fun and to get the books out would take a little time so I just asked the question as one good funster might have known from the top of his head seems not to be....it was just a average i wanted not an exact...watts....but thanks Ken all the same:thumb:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Right, fellow funsters,, here is my second question of the day,,,

We are as most of you know the owners of a Rapido and we have had two solar panels (80W) and an extra battery fitted.
We now have two, yes TWO things that I can press to find out the Vots, amps, sunlight hours, the temprature in Mumbai etc. BUT. What does it all mean...

Volts, what is Good, bad, fire up the engine?
Amps. lost on me.....
Watts - Yep that got me, we were kicking in some 120+ in Northern France, far better than watching TV, up and down went the Watts.

So come on you techie heads, spill the beans...

Oh yes the temp in Mumbai was made up....

We are as most of you know the owners of a Rapido
our hart felt condolences go to you for your loss :ROFLMAO:

Only joking honest ::bigsmile:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I am bored too Mel all ready for France now will be arriving at Calais at 1300 your time on the 7th.
That is why I am answering Hilda's daft questions he he. :thumb:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I am bored too Mel all ready for France now will be arriving at Calais at 1300 your time on the 7th.
That is why I am answering Hilda's daft questions he he. :thumb:

Now the question is this, do I (and the rest of the Motorhome community club together) and get a Submarine or is he going by train? Hmmm, lets ponder this....

Train V Boat...

If he goes by boat we can get in mid stream 1200v/75hp torpedo at 30knots, downstream using GPS and some string...

But

Being a tight Jock what he is and a Weegie, I bet he goes by train, thus eliminating the need to spend money (any money ) in the onboard shops.
On the other hand he can raid the onboard toilets and replenish his personal stock of bog paper, ensuring that 4Cups loses.

Questions, oh so many questions....

And

Where are the Nutters when you need them.. Old Mo is 'out' buying some new tights, Sundance is spending all his time under his 2Amp 240V Sunlamp he got from Poundland... JohnP10 is away... This is getting despeate..

Ship or boat?

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
Ahh you tried to stop me getting back in last time and failed.
4cups homing system (much better than Garmin or Tom Tom) defeated all your 12ft fences and bofors to ensure i returned to continue my life task of depressing you all with my nutterisms.
So :moon::moon::moon:

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
[HI]I was getting worried when you mentioned Butt in, you being a nautical man an all.[/HI]..

ShiftZZ, you now have an official invite to come sailing, I have however consulted Jim and he has checked the roster.

It would appear that it is your turn in the barrel.............

.....................................just smile and think of [STRIKE]Eng, Wales[/STRIKE], Britain
...........:roflmto:

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Note to All Nutters...

Write to your MP advising him/her/it/thieving git (delete as appropriate) That Munchie and 4cups are know terrorists and have been active on the dark side (Hull and anywhere North) often seen on hills trying to identify secret British Secret Service Offices and planting treet, they are classed as potentialy lethal and are full trained eco warriors and have been trained at several car washes.

Just to conform this, we have had Laneside under surveliance for at least 4 hours and we undertook intense questioning, it was torterous, he just kept mumbling about his missing truss... Anyhow he confirmed everything that we have made up about him...

So write to anyone get this individual banned, I dont mind the odd Afghan or Iraqi but a Munchie Eating Weegie is a step too far.

Just think, 3 months of garlic, organic veg no deed fried Pizza the man will be an ecological time bomb.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
ShiftZZ, you now have an official invite to come sailing, I have however consulted Jim and he has checked the roster.

It would appear that it is your turn in the barrel.............

.....................................just smile and think of [STRIKE]Eng, Wales[/STRIKE], Britain
...........:roflmto:

I more concerned about my piles thank you very much.

OP
OP
ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Ask any nautical types, we often swing free off Piles, in Yarmouth IOW it's the only way.:roflmto:

Yes I hear they do a lot of things within iscolated Island Communities, just look at the island of Tanna who considers Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh a god. I have heard the same about the Isle of Wight and David Ike....

So many thanks for the very very kind invitation, but for the forseable future, I am having my wellies MOT'd

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
One thing to watch out for though is if you have solar panels.....

The voltage being given will be the charging voltage during the day.

For example if your batteries are at 12.4 Volts and you connect a solar panel it could for example read 12.7 volts. This is the charge voltage and does not represent how much is left in your battery.

The only way to have a reasonable idea of how much is left in your battery is to get a proper monitoring device such as the victron BMV or the Nasa BM.

these watch what is going out and what is coming in and give you a % full meter that is a lot more accurate. The Victron one is much better but the Nasa one gives a reasonable idea.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
One thing to watch out for though is if you have solar panels.....

The voltage being given will be the charging voltage during the day.

For example if your batteries are at 12.4 Volts and you connect a solar panel it could for example read 12.7 volts. This is the charge voltage and does not represent how much is left in your battery.

The only way to have a reasonable idea of how much is left in your battery is to get a proper monitoring device such as the victron BMV or the Nasa BM.

these watch what is going out and what is coming in and give you a % full meter that is a lot more accurate. The Victron one is much better but the Nasa one gives a reasonable idea.

Hi Gromett, I have read your post and your findings on another site.

I have the NASA on my boat but the instructions say that I would need two to be able to monitor both batteries. If I fit a second Hab Battery to my MH will the other unit you mention be able to distinguish between the two batteries.

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Idiots guide to elastictrickery

Volts
Think of this as the bloke that shoves your car when its broken down. The bigger the bloke (or higher the voltage) the harder he can push.

Amps
Think of this as the amount of force the bloke pushing the car is using. He might be a big bloke but he doesnt have to push with all his effort to get it moving does he. The higher the amps the harder the bloke is pushing.

Watts
Think of this as the weight of the car fighting against the bloke pushing the car. The higher the weight of the car (or the bigger the wattage) the more effort it is going to take to shove it.

Battery Charge State.
Think of this as how much energy the bloke has to push your car.

Less than 12volts....bloke is knackered and needs a sleep (charge the battery!!!)
12-13 volts.....bloke is ok and can shove your car when you need him!!!
13-14 volts....bloke is having a very strong coffee and a bacon butty and can shove your car all day!!!
14 volts + ...... bloke is overdosing on coffee and bacon butties and will explode if someone doesnt stop feeding him. (Theres a problem with the charger...turn it off!!!!)

Think this pretty much covers it :thumb::thumb::thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I've plodded all through this thread.

Thank the Lord that Mark (CLS) put our control panel at the back of the wardrobe when he fitted the solar panel.

:Doh:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Gromett, I have read your post and your findings on another site.

I have the NASA on my boat but the instructions say that I would need two to be able to monitor both batteries. If I fit a second Hab Battery to my MH will the other unit you mention be able to distinguish between the two batteries.

Not sure I understand your setup exactly. The Nasa system can only monitor one battery bank, BUT it can also if I understand it correct monitor the voltage (just the voltage) on a second battery.

If you add a second battery to your MH then so long as the terminals are connected directly in parallel with the shunt being the only thing connected to the negative terminal it will monitor both batteries. You do need to tell it that you have a larger bank now though.

The mistake that I have seen made is that people parallel the batteries then connect the solar charger straight to the batteries. The negative needs to be on the opposite side of the shunt from the battery so that all current returns to the battery via the shunt.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Not sure I understand your setup exactly. The Nasa system can only monitor one battery bank, BUT it can also if I understand it correct monitor the voltage (just the voltage) on a second battery.

If you add a second battery to your MH then so long as the terminals are connected directly in parallel with the shunt being the only thing connected to the negative terminal it will monitor both batteries. You do need to tell it that you have a larger bank now though.

The mistake that I have seen made is that people parallel the batteries then connect the solar charger straight to the batteries. The negative needs to be on the opposite side of the shunt from the battery so that all current returns to the battery via the shunt.

My point is that I had not intention of connecting the two batteries, just a switch to use 1 or 2 or both. Just like on my boat
AFX_8_28991_L.JPG

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
bit of high lighting

Idiots guide to elastictrickery

Volts
Think of this as the[HI] [HI]bloke[/HI] that shoves your car[/HI] when its broken down. The bigger the bloke (or higher the voltage) the harder he can push.

Amps
Think of this as the amount of force the bloke pushing the car is using. He might be a big bloke but he doesnt have to push with all his effort to get it moving does he.[HI] The higher the amps the harder the bloke is pushing.[/HI]

Watts
Think of this as the weight of the car fighting against the [HI]bloke[/HI] pushing the car. The higher the weight of the car (or the bigger the wattage) the more effort it is going to take to shove it.

Battery Charge State.
Think of this as how much energy the [HI]bloke[/HI] has to push your car.

Less than 12volts...[HI].bloke [/HI]is knackered and needs a sleep (charge the battery!!!)
12-13 volts....[HI].bloke[/HI] is ok and can shove your car when you need him!!!
13-14 volts...[HI].bloke[/HI] is having a very strong coffee and a bacon butty and can shove your car all day!!!
14 volts + ......[HI] bloke [/HI]is overdosing on coffee and bacon butties and will explode if someone doesnt stop feeding him. (Theres a problem with the charger...turn it off!!!!)

Think this pretty much covers it :thumb::thumb::thumb:

i use the AA

to push mine

but their charges are electrifrying :Blush:

§
§
§
§
§
§
§
§
§
§
§
§
only joking i use the RAC really
but they add amps on the line
and couldnt find the amp powder:Doh::cry::Blush:

now can we have a groan button please

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Solar Power Explained For Idiot Motorhomers...

Fully explained in plain English by a man with over twenty years experience of living full-time in an off-site motorhome (luxury)...

Enter your van when ever you want/need/have to... put kettle on gas for a coffee and a Fray Bentos Pie in the (preheated) oven (after taking the lid off with a can opener) (Note last instruction, Yosser.)

Turn on the telly/computer/sound system/play station... your choice...

Does it work ok?

Yes... your amps/watts/volts/resistance/cable thickness/battery condition and ohms law are fine... enjoy. (Don't forget the pie in the oven)

Does it work ok?

No

Go down the pub and watch telly there and wait for a sunny day...(after consuming pie or switching off oven.) or park next to Chris (Green) and say... "that looks like an interesting machine... can you show me it working?

Any questions?

JJ :Cool:

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Just thought I would give the explanation I give to my nephews on electrics.

I prefer to use the hose pipe analogy.

You see a tap on a wall. The pressure of the water coming out of the tap equates to the voltage (V). The speed of the water flowing out of the tap equates to the current measured in Amps (letter I). The quantity of water coming out equates to the power measured in Watts.

Now if you put your finger over the tap you are applying resistance to the flow of the water (current)

The amount of pressure (resistance) you apply will directly and proportionally affect the flow.

So if you have a tap putting out 10V of pressure and you apply 5 units (5 ohms) of resistance using your thumb will get 2 units of flow (2 amps).

If you now turn the tap on harder until you have 100V of pressure but still only have 5 units of resistance then 100/5 = 20 units of flow (20 amps)

Roughly speaking Watts is a measure of work and equates to how much water is coming out of the tap. The formula for this is Volts X Amps. or in the analogy water pressure times flow rate. In the first example above 10v of pressure times 2 amps of flow equals 20 watts.

I could go on but I think this gives a rough idea.

If you know 2 of either V I or R in a circuit you can work out the third. You can also work out the power. This page has a forumula circuit.
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technical/Ohms-Law/

So;

• Voltage = How much pressure
  • Current in Amps = how fast is the flow
  • Resistance = how much you are trying to stop the flow
  • Power in Watts = how much water is flowing

The main point of possible confusion in this analogy is between amps and watts. The first is the speed of the flow of water, the second is the quantity of water in total. A final example cleared it up for my nephews.
If you have two pipes over equal length but one has 10 times the internal size. If water flows through both pipes at the same speed the second pipe will have 10 times as much water flowing through it as the first.

I hope this helps. I explain this better in person with bits of paper and pencil in front of me :Doh:

PLEASE NOTE:
To avoid the technically accurate or pedants having a go at me I have to include this disclaimer.:Eeek:

The above analogy and description only work in very basic circuits and doesn't take into account such things as resistivity of cables, capacitive or inductive reactance, power factors, Network theory or any of the other real world effects that make electronics so much fun. Do not use bare ohms law and expect your results to be accurate and do not rely on the above information in any real world application.

Last edited:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Just thought I would give the explanation I give to my nephews on electrics.

I prefer to use the hose pipe analogy.

You see a tap on a wall. The pressure of the water coming out of the tap equates to the voltage (V). The speed of the water flowing out of the tap equates to the current measured in Amps (letter I). The quantity of water coming out equates to the power measured in Watts.

Now if you put your finger over the tap you are applying resistance to the flow of the water (current)

The amount of pressure (resistance) you apply will directly and proportionally affect the flow.

So if you have a tap putting out 10V of pressure and you apply 5 units (5 ohms) of resistance using your thumb will get 2 units of flow (2 amps).

If you now turn the tap on harder until you have 100V of pressure but still only have 5 units of resistance then 100/5 = 20 units of flow (20 amps)

Roughly speaking Watts is a measure of work and equates to how much water is coming out of the tap. The formula for this is Volts X Amps. or in the analogy water pressure times flow rate. In the first example above 10v of pressure times 2 amps of flow equals 20 watts.

I could go on but I think this gives a rough idea.

If you know 2 of either V I or R in a circuit you can work out the third. You can also work out the power. This page has a forumula circuit.
http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technical/Ohms-Law/

So;

• Voltage = How much pressure
  • Current in Amps = how fast is the flow
  • Resistance = how much you are trying to stop the flow
  • Power in Watts = how much water is flowing

The main point of possible confusion in this analogy is between amps and watts. The first is the speed of the flow of water, the second is the quantity of water in total. A final example cleared it up for my nephews.
If you have two pipes over equal length but one has 10 times the internal size. If water flows through both pipes at the same speed the second pipe will have 10 times as much water flowing through it as the first.

I hope this helps. I explain this better in person with bits of paper and pencil in front of me :Doh:

PLEASE NOTE:
To avoid the technically accurate or pedants having a go at me I have to include this disclaimer.:Eeek:

The above analogy and description only work in very basic circuits and doesn't take into account such things as resistivity of cables, capacitive or inductive reactance, power factors, Network theory or any of the other real world effects that make electronics so much fun. Do not use bare ohms law and expect your results to be accurate and do not rely on the above information in any real world application.

Thanks for that simply laymans explaination:Eeek::Eeek:

I think the bloke shoving the car is a bit easier to understand though :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back