Free Member
Oct 23, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 586
Exp
Since 2007
We are off to Europe on the 17 Aug, travelling to the Mosel Germany for about 4 weeks via Euro Tunnel. Can anyone advise of any new rules and or regulations that we should be aware of? Many thanks in anticipation. Can't wait it will be our first time this year out of UK!

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
We are off to Europe on the 17 Aug, travelling to the Mosel Germany for about 4 weeks via Euro Tunnel. Can anyone advise of any new rules and or regulations that we should be aware of? Many thanks in anticipation. Can't wait it will be our first time this year out of UK!
Interested, we’re 12 days behind you!! Enjoy your travels, use common sense and you should be fine👍

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
12 days in front.
You need to go to the euro tunnel website and fill out and sign the health declaration form for each person travelling.
Must be a translation from French as the grammar is appalling.
Not more than 48hours before you return you need to go to the U.K. government entering the U.K. website and fill in the health declaration form.

Don’t think you need an international driving permit for Germany, you don’t for France or Belgium yet maybe after brexit

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
Don’t turn up to eurotunnel too early or they will fine you. 90 mins max. They are also just giving you the crossing you booked and the machine does it all for you. Normally you press glass screen to select options, not any more, it does it all for you then spits ticket out. Terminal open but very odd and very controlled. Only a couple of food outlets working.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
Take some coins with you various denominations

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Came back through the tunnel last Thursday (by car) let us on the earlier train. When we went out the week before, they let us on two trains early. (y)

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Both going and coming they were happy to let us on very early. By all means fill in the forms, we did but nobody was remotely interested in them. The rules are all on the website but nobody seems bothered about enforcing them. The tunnel is not at all busy and the French seem very pleased to see us.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Make yourself aware of the federal state of germany you are in.
Find the german news in english. Unfortunately i am on phone atm and its in favourites on lappy.
Find out if you can fill up in luxembourg. You could on way out as germans consider you come from luxembourg after 3 nights.
Masks are strict in shops.
Be prepared for it to be very normal out there. Quite disconcerting.
Check out moselle rolling meet thread

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
When we travelled to France a few weeks ago, they had stopped the requirement of a form for entering France. Has it changed again?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
For info as i know many pass through Luxembourg for cheap fuel..

"The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against all but essential travel to Luxembourg. This is based on the current assessment of COVID-19 risks. "

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Thursday 6th Aug on the train on time no one asked for the health form.
Nice English female police officer asked what we were travelling for, how long and how much cash we had?
Don’t know if it was because it’s an evening train on a Thursday but not busy at all

OP
OP
Billy R

Billy R

Free Member
Oct 23, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 586
Exp
Since 2007
Are you allowed to travel through Belgium under the new quarantine list if you don’t stop or get out until you reach Germany? Alternatively, any serious route suggestions?

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
In umpteen years of travelling to France I have never been asked how much money I am carrying. Whats the idea of that then?
I never carry much cash anyway, cup of coffee is about the only thing I pay cash for.

OP
OP
Billy R

Billy R

Free Member
Oct 23, 2018
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Burstner Ixeo 586
Exp
Since 2007
Thinking about it on the way down it would be wether Germany would let us in or expect us to self isolate? Alternatively, avoid Belgium and Luxembourg! And then after 4 weeks we would need to get back ....... to UK.

Feb 18, 2017
Greenwich, London, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
In umpteen years of travelling to France I have never been asked how much money I am carrying. Whats the idea of that then?
I never carry much cash anyway, cup of coffee is about the only thing I pay cash for.

I've been travelling to France (and Spain) for more than umpteen years, and It's a question I been asked several times, and they want to see some sort of proof.
In the old days it was travelers Cheques, now a days is a selection of credit cards and a fat wallet

Feb 2, 2019
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C
Exp
I've been travelling to France (and Spain) for more than umpteen years, and It's a question I been asked several times, and they want to see some sort of proof.
In the old days it was travelers Cheques, now a days is a selection of credit cards and a fat wallet
Why though? It seems a bit random and in reality, if your passports in order and the van is legal, what's it got to do with anyone how much money you have?
Shame they dont do the same with the people in the inflatable dinghy 's and kayaks?

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Why though? It seems a bit random and in reality, if your passports in order and the van is legal, what's it got to do with anyone how much money you have?
Shame they dont do the same with the people in the inflatable dinghy 's and kayaks?
We've never been asked. None of their business really.

Jun 25, 2013
Funster No
Exp
Old wild camper in transit
We've never been asked. None of their business really.
Oh yes it is , they are after money laundering wait till they get the sniffer dogs going like they do at airports , if they find a LOT of cash you got to prove where you got it from .

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Perhaps we've never been asked because we don't look like we've got a lot of money.

Were you asking because of the post advising to take coins? If so it was probably that some of the Aires/SP machines will only take coins and occasionally the card machines don't like your particular card so its a good standby. I tend to keep a few 2E 1E and 50c in a pot on the dashboard. It helps if you quote the post or tag the poster Reallyretired

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I think in the 70's there was a currency crisis and there were strict limits on cash being taken abroad.
Today we have a variety of crisis, but I don't think currency is one of them ......... yet ?

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

I can't remember ever being asked this at a ferry port or the tunnel. If at all they are more interested in stowaways or the gas tap.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Were you asking because of the post advising to take coins? If so it was probably that some of the Aires/SP machines will only take coins and occasionally the card machines don't like your particular card so its a good standby. I tend to keep a few 2E 1E and 50c in a pot on the dashboard. It helps if you quote the post or tag the poster Reallyretired
It was in reply to the preceding posts about checks for large amounts of cash when crossing to France. We also carry a pot of euro coins etc, mainly for supermarket trolleys. I think it was UK currency the border folks were asking about.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
I guess it depends how affluent you look. Haha

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Don’t turn up to eurotunnel too early or they will fine you. 90 mins max. They are also just giving you the crossing you booked and the machine does it all for you. Normally you press glass screen to select options, not any more, it does it all for you then spits ticket out. Terminal open but very odd and very controlled. Only a couple of food outlets working.

Ive been on it 3 times in the past few weeks and each time had a choice. It seems to me that they are condensing trips so are managing it very proactively even coming around the carpark in Folkestone and using the radios to determine how much room is left.

I dont think there is a form to go out but they have looked at the phone (download) both times coming back.

btw there are roadworks on the A16 from the ferry turnoff to just before the tunnel, northbound OK to get to the tunnel but quite a queue for the ferry, southbound you need to allow another 20 minutes or so for either

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
It was in reply to the preceding posts about checks for large amounts of cash when crossing to France. We also carry a pot of euro coins etc, mainly for supermarket trolleys. I think it was UK currency the border folks were asking about.

I think it was Vipar s post that got them going. Maybe he/she will be along soon to clarify. I certainly think anyone with enough coins to attract attention as a money launderer would stand out somewhat.

John Barrett

Free Member
Jan 19, 2020
Hamble, Southampton.
Funster No
MH
One Eyed in Hamble!
Exp
Since 2012
On the 7.00 am News that France may be next on the self quarantine list...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back