victron solar controller (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria compact dl
Exp
Thanks to previous posts and articles on here, I’ve started my solar upgrade process on a Adria compact, but I’ve hit a snag. Currently I have 2 175w panels wired in parallel to a victron 100/30 and a Roamer 230ah lithium battery. Everything to the controller is fine, but the current solar output to the Nord NE350 fuse board is undersized, its plugged in from the controller with a mate and lock connector, pretty sure this will not except the cable size I now need. I presume the ideal solution would be to wire the controller straight to the battery. But then I would lose information on the habitation control panel and maybe something else that the NE350 monitors and controls during operation? Anyone come across a similar problem or could offer some help?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
350 watts is too much to put through Mate 'n Lock connectors also doing it that way you will lose over 5%.
Wire direct to the batteries and fit either a Victon Smart shunt or BMV712 then you will have all the information you need.

OP
OP
Bigjay1968
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria compact dl
Exp
350 watts is too much to put through Mate 'n Lock connectors also doing it that way you will lose over 5%.
Wire direct to the batteries and fit either a Victon Smart shunt or BMV712 then you will have all the information you need.
Thanks Lenny, I thought that would be the case. I have a victron shunt fitted so i can get the info, just a shame to lose it from the control panel. What size cable would you recommend from controller to battery? Distance is approx 1.5m

Nov 9, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Adria
Exp
8 yr
Not answering your question in any way, but interested as I have a compact dl on order which is due fairly soon so am planning ahead for the solar installation. Would you be able to tell me the distance between the bathroom vent forward to the vent above seating area, I am trying do decide the max width of panel I would be able to fit that space?

OP
OP
Bigjay1968
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria compact dl
Exp
Not answering your question in any way, but interested as I have a compact dl on order which is due fairly soon so am planning ahead for the solar installation. Would you be able to tell me the distance between the bathroom vent forward to the vent above seating area, I am trying do decide the max width of panel I would be able to fit that space?
Hi Dave, will have a look tomorrow

OP
OP
Bigjay1968
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria compact dl
Exp
That would be great!
Hi Dave, this might help
The 2 panels are renogy 175w Dimensions: 49.7 x 27.5 x 1.38 in (1262 x 699 x 35 mm)

Attachments

• E556BE49-9F40-462B-AAFC-19ED7D3EA366.jpeg
    E556BE49-9F40-462B-AAFC-19ED7D3EA366.jpeg
    453.2 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
Bigjay1968
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria compact dl
Exp
Wire direct to the batteries and fit either a Victon Smart shunt or BMV712 then you will have all the information you need

OP
OP
Bigjay1968
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria compact dl
Exp
Digging up and old thread of mine but i read something the other day that got me thinking about my setup. As per your advice I wired from the solar controller direct to the battery, but also having a victron shunt in the system, should the solar output negative go to the battery terminal or the load side of the shunt?

OP
OP
Bigjay1968
Aug 7, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria compact dl
Exp
Digging up and old thread of mine but i read something the other day that got me thinking about my setup. As per your advice I wired from the solar controller direct to the battery, but also having a victron shunt in the system, should the solar output negative go to the battery terminal or the load side of the shunt?
The BMS battery percentages and the shunt battery percentages were always vastly different, was wondering if this could be one of the reasons?

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
EVERY Negative connection should go to the LOAD side of the shunt.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Makes sense now i think about it, fortunately an easy job to move over
I connected all my negative loads to a negative bus-bar similar to this - bus-bar, and then just took one heavy gauge cable from it to the Load terminal on the shunt.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back