Very low MPG, now we know why and NOT happy!!! (3 Viewers)

WhiteCheyenneMan

Free Member
Sep 29, 2011
TN30, Nr Tenterden
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011
Practical Motorhome TV is very low budget, poorly presented and incredibly boring. Nevertheless I record it every week and watch it for the occasional useful titbit. Guess what, this very task, replacing the fuel filter, was covered this week! Go to for an unusually clear explanation/demonstration of what is involved.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
It is my Theory, that the Filter seals deteriorate more quickly than the filter replacement period. I base this on the fact that, the one I took off when mine leaked, was larger and felt more "spongy" than the new one, suggesting IMV that the Seal material is being affected by exposure to diesel fuel?.

2 factors come to mind, one, is that the seal material is wrong for the installation, or two, with the introduction of Bio-fuel and Bio-fuel mixes at the pumps, the Chemistry is in some way affecting the seal material.?

There are issues currently with the addition of Ethylene to Petrol, which affects the Fuel system components, especially of older cars. so IMV, this cannot be totally disregarded?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
24yr
Hi PeteH,
Just read all the posts from Sep 13th,,, unbelievable,!
Thanks for the heads up, much appreciated.

What has really irked me/us is that the garage who carried out the service are, Moho "experts"?!
They do all the servicing/repairs for the Hitchin co we bought the vehicle from and have done for many years,,, they must have known about this problem, so how could they have made such a cock of fitting the new filter,,, I'm not exaggerating when I say that diesel was haemorrhaging from the joint,!

Will be interesting to see what the response is from the garage, and the selling co?
Watch this space,!

was the garage in steavenage

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Practical Motorhome TV is very low budget, poorly presented and incredibly boring. Nevertheless I record it every week and watch it for the occasional useful titbit. Guess what, this very task, replacing the fuel filter, was covered this week! Go to for an unusually clear explanation/demonstration of what is involved.

You do of course realise that this is 'our' very own Dave Newell ... what else would you expect but common sense from a 'diamond' bloke!!!! :D

Jan 11, 2014
Medway, Kent
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
My filter developed a leak and is due its MOT this month. Spoke the garage that I use and they said that it would fail due to the leak. Having read several threads on this subject I ordered a complete filter unit off tinternet (Coastal Motorhomes about £70). Filter arrived and fitted last weekend, took about 15 minutes. Now considering buying a second unit as a spare, again following tips on this forum. Didn't smell diesel prior to visually seeing the leak while I was checking levels etc.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
As someone who has had 2 go on different vans I can concur that they go without warning. One - a 2007 - was fixed by the AA Chap who went off and got a filter and seal from a local place and replaced it. I didnt see if he used the tool to tighten it but it didnt leak again while I owned it. The second one - a 2010 - went on the drive and I got it fixed at the local garage after having the RAC recover it. A new filter housing (at Fiats prices - ouch) was fitted.
This remonds me I was going to get a spare off the internet in case the current 2008 van does the same.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back