Very light on front end. Poor traction. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Feb 16, 2021
Salcombe Regis
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 600SL
Exp
Delivered April 2021 šŸ˜ƒ. Still new, still learning. Only a couple of mishaps so far....
I have an Adria Matrix 600sl axess. A coach built on the fiat ducatto chassis. 2021. 4.4T. I have air bags on the rear and upgraded front suspension. Good tyres and monitor pressure regularly.

I love most things about this van but the big minus for me is what appears to be the lack of traction of the front end. It takes very little to spin the front wheels on the slightest of gradients or gravel surface.

Is this normal for all vans or specific to Fiat? Do the A class vans have a similar issue?

Had a tricky situation in Spain where I lost traction and could not go up so I had to reverse on a sharp bend to turn round and find another route.

Add a wet road into the mix and it can be a squeaky bum moment.

Look forward to hearing your views/experiences.

Oct 9, 2019
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
FUNSTER in a PVC
Shift as much weight out of the garage when travelling as you have quite an overhang from back axle in addition, maybe increase pressure on Air suspension at rear only to create a slight arse up nose down attitude, if you can.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
Camping tyres are terrible. I've managed to do a burnout mounting a raised kerb in the dry. Switching to van tyres or winter varieties will give far more grip.

A-classes are roughly the same weight and weight distribution as coachbuilds on the same configuration.

If you're 4.4t, then you've probably got a lot in the garage. All weight behind the rear axle takes a bit of load off the front. Think of a seesaw. And going up hill will make it even worse.

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2018
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral 600SL
Exp
Since 2017
I also have an Adria 600SL Axess (2022 model, Coral not Matrix, automatic, with MAM on delivery of 3,500 kg for B licence purposes) and have not experienced the problem you describe in almost 23,000 miles so far. I used VWE to upgrade to 3,960 kg. In effect this took the revenue weight to the origional chassis design weight, with the front axle being 1960 kg and the rear axle 2,000 kg.

You mention you have a registered MAM 4,400 kg. Have you (when fully laden, including driver and passengers) been to a flat-bed weighbridge to check the load on each axle? I suspect you may find that your load distribution is very much heavier at the rear than it should be. This will move the centre of gravity rearward and in effect make the front too light. The garage on this Adria model is quite large and very easy to overload. Also, if you have bikes etc mounted at the rear, this will also have a disproportionate effect in moving the centre of gravity away from the front end.

Upvote 1

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Camping tyres Michelin 5.5 bar
About the worst tyres you can get for grip.
Our van was originally fitted with them. Front wheels would spin & TC cut in the slightest bit of gravel. I changed them well before they were worn out for Toyo Observe Van vast differences.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Apr 15, 2015
Whitchurch, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago E-Line 50
Exp
Since May 2011
Had 7 front wheel drive motorhomes, three of them tag axles. The single rear axle vans were all plated at 4250kgs maximum gross weight. All have had camping tyres on, either Michelin or Continental. Done about 100,000 miles in total and not had any of the problems you describe.

As others have said, Iā€™d look at the weight distribution.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 19, 2020
North Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 670SC
Exp
Do you have bikes on the back? Is your water tank behind the rear axle, do you travel with it full?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
Feb 16, 2021
Salcombe Regis
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix 600SL
Exp
Delivered April 2021 šŸ˜ƒ. Still new, still learning. Only a couple of mishaps so far....
Do you have bikes on the back? Is your water tank behind the rear axle, do you travel with it full?
Yes to all of that.

I have taken it over a weigh-bridge fully laden with a full tank of fuel and just me on board. The axel weights all came in within what I would consider evenly under limits with surplus capacity - so not overloaded.

I always try and spread the weight trying to avoid the heavy items in the garage.

I think the advice on tyres is good advice but any other pointers is very welcome.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
My last van was 1630kg on the front axle the current one is 1930kg and is far worse on wheels spin.
The last one was a light chassis current one heavy chassis both same engine and gearbox, 150 bhp, Comformatic box.

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Camping tyres Michelin 5.5 bar

Adria Compact here up plated to 4250kg with 1960kg/2400kg and the same Michelin CP tyres. I run at 5.5bar rear and 4.5bar on the front and it has made a difference but theyā€™re definitely not the best for traction on loose surfaces.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Adria Compact here up plated to 4250kg with 1960kg/2400kg and the same Michelin CP tyres. I run at 5.5bar rear and 4.5bar on the front and it has made a difference but theyā€™re definitely not the best for traction on loose surfaces.
Those can't be your actual axle weights as they total more than 4250, you need actual weights to set the tyre pressures correctly.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
One thing that nobody seems to have picked up on is that you beefed up the front suspension. This has likely raised the front and made the issue worse than it would have been without this mod. Is there any way to adjust it?

Failing that rearrange your kit to put as much heavy stuff towards the front as possible, under front seats even, to get the nose down and thus put more 'pressure' on the front end.

You could also stuff yourselves silly and turn into a couple of Mr Blobbys and add more weight upfront that way but you might then get jammed trying to move between the cab seats! šŸ˜„

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 17, 2016
Peterborough, Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic E Line
Exp
Since March 2004
If you must have Michelin tyres, their cross climates are good. A lot better than the standard Michelin camper tyre Had good traction when fitted to a 2 axle van . Never had them on a tag. There are many tyres now that will give better traction than the Michelins. Lenny HB has the Toyo along with others and they give good reports. Do a search on here and you will get a decent amount of bedtime reading.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
It is a common problem, particularly if you have a lot of weight at the back. Some tyres may have better grip than others, but there is no beating physics.

Upvote 0
May 10, 2023
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail
Exp
Since 2002
It's also good practice IMO to never let the front-mounted fuel tank level drop below a half full. Apart from other reasons, letting the fuel tank run low will remove weight from the front axle and increase the see-saw effect. Thus adversely affecting grip. Running with no more than a half tank of fresh water, unless essential for some reason, will also help balance the MoHo.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
It's also good practice IMO to never let the front-mounted fuel tank level drop below a half full. Apart from other reasons, letting the fuel tank run low will remove weight from the front axle and increase the see-saw effect. Thus adversely affecting grip. Running with no more than a half tank of fresh water, unless essential for some reason, will also help balance the MoHo.

It depends where your freshwater tanks are though. In my case, the main one is centre/forward of the chassis. Full this gives me 350kg loading with a front axle bias, which is very useful for weight distributionā€¦ Put it this way, if I run empty of water, Iā€™m definitely overweight on the rear axle.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
It depends where your freshwater tanks are though. In my case, the main one is centre/forward of the chassis. Full this gives me 350kg loading with a front axle bias, which is very useful for weight distributionā€¦ Put it this way, if I run empty of water, Iā€™m definitely overweight on the rear axle.
If it's between the axles, the load will be distributed between them (although not necessarily evenly).

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back