LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
I have got one of these sonic Marten repellents fitted in the engine bay and one under the centre of the van, plus when the E&P levelling jack are extended the van is 6" off the ground.
Not sign of any mice to date.

1573502290752.png

Amazon product ASIN B0000WR76I

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the best bait is peanut butter, but you need to know where they are getting in. experts say use unperfumed baby talk sprinkled on the floor to spot their footprints. I got confused once and sprinkled my daughter's cocaine on the floor. found dozens of dead mice all in a heap with their eyes wide open

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I use spring traps, but no good just having one as once its caught the first one the mice have a free run. I find 6 is a good number and check weekly. Not keen on the ones with all plastic, I use the rentokil ones with metal working parts and a stronger spring.
I also have a 12v Marten repeller but not convinced it does much.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deneb

Free Member
Oct 20, 2015
Europe
Funster No
MH
PVC
I have got one of these sonic Marten repellents fitted in the engine bay and one under the centre of the van, plus when the E&P levelling jack are extended the van is 6" off the ground.
Not sign of any mice to date.
I've got an elephant gun in my van and it works because I've never seen any elephants in it :D

Sorry, I couldn't resist! I'd like to think that those repellers work, but I need convincing.

Did you have a rodent problem before you fitted it?

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Vinegar is good to remove any scent of other mice then mothballs scattered about--- they can't stand the smell----- nor can I -----but better than the damage and smell of mice!!!!!!
Last winter we had a plague of mice here, we often caught more than 8 a night in each of our bucket traps------- the local wild cats got wise and used to scoop them out so I never knew what we caught in the end!!! --------Keeping the bucket traps in the sheds now, but not many around yet
This year we also have a caravan to protect!!!! But at least the wild cats are hanging around a lot!!!

Sep 10, 2019
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer camp c546
Exp
Since 2019
Hi all, we were advised to use Jeyes Fluid spray around the wheels, our hymer is stored on a farm, we visit every couple of weeks, removed bedding, put cushions up on their sides, some people say leave cupboard door open?, Others say keep doors cupboards closed? Difficult to know what's best? :unsure:

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
I cant seem to find that product on the tinterweb, what is the actual product name and make?.
I can’t find it either but we’ve had it about three years so it may have changed. It’s called Rat Repel. We bought two big bottles at the time and haven’t used the first one yet. There may be an alternative repellent powder available. It appears to work.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I can’t find it either but we’ve had it about three years so it may have changed. It’s called Rat Repel. We bought two big bottles at the time and haven’t used the first one yet. There may be an alternative repellent powder available. It appears to work.
you see it sold by the gallon in farm/equestrian shops

Jun 25, 2016
Ynys Môn, UK
Funster No
MH
2016 Benimar 243
Exp
Since 2016
It is illegal to sell glue boards to non professionals, has been for several years. There is a very strict procedure to be adhered to by professionals.
Sonic devices do not work, no professional pest control company uses them for rodents, only for birds with mixed results.
30 years in the industry.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
It is illegal to sell glue boards to non professionals, has been for several years. There is a very strict procedure to be adhered to by professionals.
Sonic devices do not work, no professional pest control company uses them for rodents, only for birds with mixed results.
30 years in the industry.
Would you be able to give any recommendations as to a viable \ legal solution?(y)

Jun 25, 2016
Ynys Môn, UK
Funster No
MH
2016 Benimar 243
Exp
Since 2016
First of all try to keep them out, seal up any holes or gaps unde the Motorhome, and use mesh if they are required for ventilation.
Don’t leave any food in the Motorhome.
Humane traps are not practical, as they must be checked frequently, so it’s poison, but the rodents tend to die in inaccessible places, or break back traps.
I prefer break back traps, best bait is peanut butter, it stays stuck and lasts a long time before drying out.
We did have a specially made non toxic bait which we had to use in food factories where peanuts were not allowed, it was far less successful than peanut butter. I used crunchie variety only because that’s the one I eat!
Place traps against a wall but end on, so they can be approached from both sides, and not on carpet as when they decompose they can stain.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
I hate vermin but I also hate to see them suffer, so I would never use gluemats in a laid up van

IMO Unless you are checking on gluemats at least twice a day they are just too cruel. A mouse could take days to die.

Better to catch them as they come in, rather than eradicate them when they've made themselves at home. but with a trap, SNAP, dead in a moment. (y)
Agree with Jim, we used several basic spring loaded traps and a more commercial box with poison outside that prevents other than tiny mice to get to it. Cought 14 of the blighters within 3 a three week period but shortly after changed storage facility and the motorhome.
Also remember that mice are also incontinent so wipe everything down.

OP
OP
bobski
Jan 30, 2012
doncaster
Funster No
MH
a class
First of all try to keep them out, seal up any holes or gaps unde the Motorhome, and use mesh if they are required for ventilation.
Don’t leave any food in the Motorhome.
Humane traps are not practical, as they must be checked frequently, so it’s poison, but the rodents tend to die in inaccessible places, or break back traps.
I prefer break back traps, best bait is peanut butter, it stays stuck and lasts a long time before drying out.
We did have a specially made non toxic bait which we had to use in food factories where peanuts were not allowed, it was far less successful than peanut butter. I used crunchie variety only because that’s the one I eat!
Place traps against a wall but end on, so they can be approached from both sides, and not on carpet as when they decompose they can stain.
I can confirm that the sonic devices are a pile of poo ( mouse poo all over the one that i placed in MH). Save your money and don't buy one.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back