Vehicle Jack - carry one or not? (1 Viewer)

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Hello All,

Our van was supplied without a spare wheel, we have only pump and gunk. Therefore, is there any point in carrying the OEM Fiat scissor jack or is that just dead weight (bearing in mind we are 3500kg so every kg saved for payload is useful). I’m struggling to think what I else would use it for.

If the consensus is that I should carry a jack regardless of the lack of spare wheel, should I replace the scissor jack for something a bit more robust/stable?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Apr 21, 2009
East Cowes, PO32 6RU
Funster No
MH
Caravan
Exp
Caravan since 1970, motorhome or RV since 1999 then back to a caravan in 2017.
I would think that without a spare there is no need for a jack. Personally I could not be without a spare and the ability to 'rescue' myself but I have over a ton of payload!

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
In the event of a wrecked tyre, check the terms of your breakdown cover, if they don’t require that a jack has to be carried, then it’s pointless carrying one.

I appreciate it's not what you’re asking, but I’d be upgrading to a full spare too.

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Unfortunately, according to Burstner dealer, we have no OEM option to carry a spare wheel. We don’t have a garage, only a skirt locker which is not big enough to accommodate one. No Alko carrier available for mid chassis where there looks to be enough room.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Best plan is to buy a spare wheel.. but if not, then I would carry the OEM jack as it may come in useful if you want to remove a wheel to have a slow puncture repaired without calling out the breakdown services .. sods law says, the day you leave it at home will be the day you wish you hadn't

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Best plan is to buy a spare wheel.. but if not, then I would carry the OEM jack as it may come in useful if you want to remove a wheel to have a slow puncture repaired without calling out the breakdown services .. sods law says, the day you leave it at home will be the day you wish you hadn't
If only that were an option, no viable means of carrying a spare without perhaps some expensive custom fabrication for a mid Alko chassis carrier.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Not compatible according to Burstner dealer and Alko. :(

Maybe not in it's standard form. You have to remember that dealers and manufacturers are not or do not want to think laterally or out of the box.
If fiscally there is space for a spare wheel to fit then a carrier can be made or a standard carrier can be modified to fit.
Of course carrying a spare does not help your quest to save weight.

OP
OP
RowleyBirkinQC

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Maybe not in it's standard form. You have to remember that dealers and manufacturers are not or do not want to think laterally or out of the box.
If fiscally there is space for a spare wheel to fit then a carrier can be made or a standard carrier can be modified to fit.
Of course carrying a spare does not help your quest to save weight.
We could probably manage/sacrifice as necessary to accommodate a spare wheel if it were possible to buy a solution. I doubt I will pursue custom fabrication options though.

I did get quite excited by the spare wheel carrier @Techno made and documented on here, right up until the thread where it apparently didn’t fit a Burstner Aviano. No prizes for guessing what model we have... ;)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
In the event of a puncture while stationary , a jack would take the weight off the flat bottom when inserting the tyreseal to be sure of even inflation.
I obtained a spare for ours but the extra weight on our 3500 kgs not helpful.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
CA_07221416313863-X2.jpg

CA_07241419471198-X2.jpg

CA_04071316403459-X2.jpg

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yes that is for the rear and hinges down.(y) Not suitable for many vans due to something else fitted there unfortunately. Especially with a garage there. My own chassis actually stops where the garage starts

of course it may not suit all vans.. I never said or implied it would, as far as I know the OP doesn't have a garage ..

my Hymer has a garage and an ALKO chassis that extends the full length of the van.. and would be eminently suitable for this type of carrier.. but I don't need it as my spare is stored in the void between the floors.. accessed from the garage.

May 5, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2011
Having a spare wheel on board just feels a bit more belt and braces. Our previous Hymer B544 had a spare stored in between the double floor. Although thankfully we never had to use it, it does give you peace of mind should the worst happen.

When we were buying our latest B544 I asked the Travelworld salesman where the spare was located. I’d had a quick look around and could not see one. I was told it’s somewhere underneath, turns out, after we played hunt the spare for 10 mins, it wasn’t. There was just a jack and some tyre gunk you inject into the tyre.

The jack is stored in a ridiculously large plastic case which for some reason was strapped to the bottom of our wardrobe. Needless to say the case has now been dispensed with. I purchased a small canvas bag that the jack now fits very neatly into and stores away in the outside locker. I still carry the jack and the question I asked myself at the time was “do I need to carry a jack in spite of having no spare on board”. I certainly will be looking into the possibility of retro fitting a spare underneath should space allow.

Dare_Devil_Dennis

Free Member
Apr 22, 2017
Derby
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My Autosleeper Stanton does not come with a spare wheel. Neither does it come with a jack. However, it does have breakdown cover that avoids me having to get my hands dirty (but seriously put myself in harms way changing a wheel in the road).
I considered this when I bought it and decided that in my 40 years of driving I have had one puncture and one blowout. The puncture needed an offside wheel change on a busy ring road at dusk by me (never agian) and the blowout happened on the M25 near Housnlow at 5:00pm rush hour. The AA man put his life at risk changing the wheel. It made the subscription fee seem ludicrously cheap at the time.

So I went for the no spare option. I have added Tyreseal sealant to each tyre to reduce the risk further, and I will always change the tyres based on age rather than wear. (Which is why the blowout occurred - tyres more than 7yrs old, self inflicted disaster)

Long answer, but in summary, I would check your breakdown service by email, so you have it in writing, that you can travel without your jack and if so throw it out. As mine was not supplied with one, I cannot "not" carry it.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would still carry the jack/a bottle jack, simply because if you have a puncture and someone nearby offers to take you to get it repaired they are unlikely to have a jack strong enough to help you get the wheel off to take it there ... punctures are fortunately pretty rare but if one happens you'll likely want to get it sorted as quickly as possible and be on your way rather than having to hang about for the breakdown service to come and sort it for you.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I wouldn’t risk jacking my MoHo up using the standard jack. I also think it would be near impossible to use for a rear puncture on many vehicles, as the jack is designed for standard vans, not MoHo’s.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back