Vango Air Awnings (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Looking at these , but before making commitment can anyone out there give an honest review. Are they worth the cost, and are they much hassle to erect and take down. I have a 5 metre fiamma Awning fitted so I would be looking at the 3.6
Thanks Guys.
Martin

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have a look at the Vango Idris ones, main difference is that the ground sheet is removable so much easier to clean if it gets dirty, and you don't get the bedroom part with it but as most people don't want it that's not a problem, it also means it's cheaper.

<Broken link removed>

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=vango+idris&rt=nc&_dmd=2

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
I had ours up over the last week. 40 odd mph winds Friday night.
I removed the tunnel section from the Fiamma as I was worried about the strain put on it.

Free standing it was fine.

Ours is the original Kela air. My only criticism is that once attached to the Fiamma, there are elasticated ties at the top to tension the sides. It works well apart from once pulled, you end up with a loose flappy bit.

There was a guy opposite us that had a kampa rally air. He took it down in the end.
I was impressedwith the way it bounced back to shape after almost collapsing in the wind gusts.
I have a few vidoes of them both but they're to big to upload here.

Attachments

• 20160816_162819.jpg
    20160816_162819.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 20160818_104903.jpg
    20160818_104903.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 39
Aug 10, 2008
Hawes, UK
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Very good awning, I would suggest buying a 12 volt air pump,as the hand one gave me a bad back,and the 12 volt one sucks the air out as well,it is very bulky and heavy,mine is the kampa one which I think is similar, but the other makes sometimes do not have the peak sticking out above the door and when you unzip the door when it's raining the water pours in, the Kampa one does not,sewn in ground a must

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    388.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
OP
OP
M
Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
Thanks for all the info, however I have one issue, the Kampa spec says you need 12 cm between the door top and the awning rail. I have about 6cm. to do with hab door clearance. Looking at other mh s similar to mine it varies as to which door has been fitted and whether it is hi or lo line. Mine is Hi-line.
Has anyone had problems like this?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I have one issue, the Kampa spec says you need 12 cm between the door top and the awning rail. I have about 6cm. to do with hab door clearance.

are we on Kampa now ? :LOL:

Just measured mine..

I fitted a rail under the pull out awning and I have 9 cm between top of door and rail .. the door rubs ever so slightly on the roof.. it is not an issue ..

At 6cm the door would certainly rub.. but you could fit an RV Awning door roller (or similar ) to stop it rubbing the roof

s-l225.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
I'm liking those pop up gazebos that lots of Funsters recently purchased .

Petest

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
New convert
Here's a link to a Kampa awning in strong wind. Very impressed with the way it re shapes itself.

Excuse my commentary - I was well into the vodkas.

I did pop out and offer my help taking it down (which the chap did a bit later), but I wasn't needed.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's the PROBLEM with air awnings IMV they should NOT flex that much ... if you don't get them blown up sufficiently they will do that which isn't what you want! When it comes to inflatables the more rigid the better!

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We spent a lot of time looking at them but in the end we went for the pop up Quest shelter and are thrilled with it. We have the side covers so it will be coming to Benidorm with us. At £150 even it it only lasts a year or two we will be happy and its so easy to put up and take down. No use for sleeping in though unless you are very hardy.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
That's the PROBLEM with air awnings IMV they should NOT flex that much ... if you don't get them blown up sufficiently they will do that which isn't what you want! When it comes to inflatables the more rigid the better!

absolutely correct..

but people forget or don't appreciate, that when they blow them up hard during the day the air is hot.. at night the air cools and contracts so the pressure drops.. the may need a bit of extra air after dark to keep them rigid.. that has been my experience..

mine was rock solid during the gale, it flexed a lot but didn't fold in .. nor should it ..

as for gazebos etc they are not awnings .. they will not stand up in gales or be any use in winter as a cloakroom.. some sites now ban them..

they have their uses but can't be compared to a proper attached awning

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
SJL - I agree totally regarding having to keep the pressure up, especially once the temperature drops, but I was under the impression that you used a gauge to ensure it was correct in the first place so I suspect the one that was dancing in the wind had just been put up by 'feel' and not checked. We don't use a gauge now with our inflatable Gumotex canoes as we've had them a long time and know how much give there should be when correctly inflated but the air tubes in an awning are nothing like as tough so a gauge should be used to ensure they are not under, and especially over inflated otherwise when it gets hot during the day they could pop.

as for gazebos etc they are not awnings .. they will not stand up in gales or be any use in winter as a cloakroom.. some sites now ban them..

they have their uses but can't be compared to a proper attached awning
I agree totally about gazebos normally but having played with our 'new to us' Quest pop-up I should think they'll stand up to a heck of a LOT of battering from the wind however it doesn't come with any securing points on the upper corners so if anyone is intending to use it where there is the likelihood of extremely strong winds I'd suggest finding some way of attaching corner straps too just to be on the safe side, more to stop any sideways movement and prevent the Quest being damaged rather than to keep it where it is as the existing side straps should do that.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Double post .... stupid ruddy internet connection ... can't wait to be able to dump the land based one!

voyager14

Free Member
Aug 7, 2016
Kidderminster
Funster No
MH
Compass Avantgarde
Exp
I'm a newbie, did have a Caravan about 8 years ago.
Looking at these , but before making commitment can anyone out there give an honest review. Are they worth the cost, and are they much hassle to erect and take down. I have a 5 metre fiamma Awning fitted so I would be looking at the 3.6
Thanks Guys.
Martin
I have one for sale, send me your email address and I will send some piccy's, Don't know how to upload piccy's on here.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I was under the impression that you used a gauge to ensure it was correct in the first place so I suspect the one that was dancing in the wind had just been put up by 'feel' and not checked.

No gauge supplied with awning and not fitted on the hand pump .. the optional 12v two stage pump probably has a gauge..

I pump up by feel.. and, as you point out, keep an eye on it when it gets warm in case it get's too hard ;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back