Awning rail fitted for Kampa Rally Air Pro

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Jul 28, 2016.

1. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I was unhappy with using the Omnister wind out awning to attach the Kampa Air Pro..

several reasons..

1. The awning walls didn't sit snuggly against the side of the van.. big gaps.
    2. It wasn't in the correct place to clear the hab door..
    3. Risk of damage to the wind out awning..

I don't think it was designed to support a heavy porch awning.. someone on the forum (can't find the thread) reported they had broken their wind-out awning using it for this purpose..

I bought the rail from JohnsCross and fitted today..

It has an adhesive backing which makes it easy to fit.. it comes suppled with s/s self tapping screws and 2 drill bits.

I measured down from the Omnistor 3/4 " and used a chalk line to mark the van.. stuck the rail on (3 pieces,) then drilled and fitted the self tapping screws.. the come suppled with tiny plastic washers.

We were apprehensive that it may be difficult to feed the awning on, but it was easy.. I stood on steps and fed it on while Jan pulled from the other end with a cord I had attached..

I am really pleased with it now.. it fits perfectly, close to van walls and the hab door now opens into the awning.. it clears the awning roof with ease..

a few pictures..
    IMG_0981.jpg IMG_0982.jpg IMG_0983.jpg IMG_0985.jpg IMG_0984.jpg IMG_0986.jpg IMG_0987.jpg IMG_0988.jpg IMG_0989.jpg

• Like Like x 9
    • Useful Useful x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I fitted a similar rail to our Autoquest when we had a porch awning. It worked well apart from the fact that the wind tended to blow the kador strip along the channel, twisting the awning a bit. You might need to purchase a pair of awning end stops to prevent that. I'd send you mine but I can't remember where I put them :D

3. Hymie

Hymie Funster

Hi Jim, is that the air pro 260?

I am going to look at one today, but was wondering how to fit it.

We have a 91 vintage Omnistor which I wouldn't want to fit an awning to and was looking at these rails yesterday.

Is it a secure fix, I am a bit worried as the older Hymers have the mottled hammer type finish outer skin and am wondering if the screws provided give enough strength.

Nice job by the way.

TIA,

Hymie

4. golly

golly Funster

I was thinking of putting a rail on our new Van, how did you locate the support battens to screw into

5. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Great job..
    My only concern is it's strength.. You're happy so it must be good enough.
    Looks great though (we love our Kampa awning)

6. Bellini

Bellini Funster

I've had no problems, so far, attaching our Kampa Air Pro 390 XL to Udo's '92 vintage Omnistor.

With the Omnistor wound out for eaae of attachment, we semi-inflate the awning to add some support and gently wind it fully back in.

I do like your arrangement, Jim. Good job!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Speve

Speve Funster

We have the air pro and found as Jim not happy fitting on Ormistor so I pop riveted awning rail to underside of Ormister casing that way I didn't need to drill bodywork of van it works well.(y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  8. Ber090

Ber090 Funster Life Member

If Sikkaflex can hold my solar panels and sat dish I wonder if it would hold the awning rail. Anyone tried it?
    Cheers Bernie

9. kelv

kelv Funster Life Member

I have the kampa air pro and you are right the air pro is heavy when winding the awning in.
    I am very careful and use a brush to take some of the weight but even so I still managed to damage the awing so putting a awing strip seems a good idea.
    2016 1152.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  10. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

We have an awning rail Sikkaflexed to our van. We have a Kampa Air Pro 390 XL which was attached to it for 4 months last winter in Spain. So far no problems.
    Brisey.

• Like Like x 5
    • Useful Useful x 2
  11. Robin McHood

Robin McHood Funster

I bought the Kela drive away and have had it connected to our Omnistor ok, though ours is fitted so the porch fits over the door. Haven't had any problems so far and the porch is snug when wound back, though not as snug against the sides of the van as I'd like. Only other problem is that on CC sites it breaches the 6m rule which is a pain and something I should have thought of first!
    Like your installation though @scotjimland, very neat fit

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Ber090

Ber090 Funster Life Member

Hi Kelv, I think you could repair that damage with " Bondic" available on amaxon or fleabay. It is now my weapon of choice to repair everything . Expensive but works.
    Cheers
    Bernie

13. Steve

Steve Funster Life Member

yes, been on there for 18months still ok.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. kelv

kelv Funster Life Member

Thanks Bernie but I have already ordered a replacement end £19 + vat from leisure spares just hope it's the right one.

• Like Like x 1
  15. busby

busby Funster

They are very small self tappers,,,they just screw through the skin. Awning rail is also self adhesive,,,,Did mine earlier this year,,works well. BUSBY...

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Yes.. the air pro 260 .. as other have said , with dimpled skin use Sikaflex and small self tappers

as said .. not fixed to battons, just short self tappers and the adhesive on the rail .. for dimpled skin you would need to use Sikaflex

yes. no problem.. but use self tappers to hold it in place while the Sika cures ..

Thanks.

the 6 meter rule is between vans.. as far as I know, it is 3 mts between awnings ..

In Wales at present.. on a lovely CS .. called Cwmcuttan.. SA20 0LY www.cwmcuttan.com

£12 per unit , no extra charges for dogs etc. .. 16A EHU and Free WIFI

sorry for delay in replying ...

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. walburga

walburga Funster

Also got the 260 Kampa air pro, tried winding out the awning and fixing the kampa to that...hell of a struggle winding it back in ! In fact, couldn't get it to wind in fully, so we had a bit of a gap at the wall.
    I'd already thought of fixing an awning rail to the underside of the omnistor casing...so glad it's been done successfully by you.
    This is a job (one of many) that will wait till after our return from S of F late October.

Allen

• Like Like x 2
  18. Hymie

Hymie Funster

Thanks for the thorough reply, do you find the 260 big enough Jim?

Was affected a new (ex display) air pro 200 yesterday for £125 but it feels a bit on the snug side.

SWMBO is convinced we need a 390, not so sure myself but wondering, if you have 2 loungers and a table inside, is there enough room to access the hab door without weaving through an obstacle course?

Sorry to pester you while you are chillin.

Hymie

19. Adbt

Adbt Funster

Really not sure I could be bothered with banging all those pegs in , especially into hard standing . What do you guys actually use those awnings for ?

20. Hymie

Hymie Funster

We went to a site for the weekend, Fri eve until Sun lunchtime, brilliant sunny day Friday, woke Sat morning to clouds, strong chilly wind, the Mrs ended up wrapped in a Slanket after persevering with the cold Reece for several hours.

With the awning up you can shelter from sun and wind or sit outside in the sunshine if you wish.

The one we are buyin on Friday has 2 pegs on each side only and erects/dismantles in minutes.

Hymie