Using your van on the drive... is it me? (1 Viewer)

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
I’ve seen lots of posts on here and other forums showing people sat outside their vans and caravans on their driveways with awnings out having bbq’s and drinks etc. Good luck to you all. Now... I don’t know if it’s just me, but I really don’t get it. I look forward to getting out and about again but until then I don’t feel the need to pretend I’m away on my driveway! Is it just me?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
it might be just you or even a few others, i dont know, but i have enjoyed my little camp outs as it also makes you do other things, such as talk together, do a bit of sudoko, lie in bed watching a movie together. i have loved overnighting on our drive and intend doing some more. we have (almost) spent all day out there, even cooking on the bbq.

the reality is that when you go into your motorhome for the evening, it doesnt matter whats outside the door or window, perhaps we are lucky in that our outlook anyway is just fields, but when the blinds are down we could be in the middle of a housing estate and wouldnt know (other than sounds etc)

so, in our defence, we are not pretending to be away, we are just making the most of and enjoying what we are lucky to have.

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
Maybe it’s about...................

“A change is as good as a rest”

By camping on the drive/back garden it makes a change from the normal routine.

The Duchess suggested it a few days ago.............. I declined.
I may change my mind if she offers extras!:ROFLMAO:;):rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Can't see the point the view from the van is just the road from the house I can look out over fields in two directions.
Anyway can't hardly get in the van for my tools, too busy modding it.

Feb 20, 2017
Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey 75-2
Exp
Tugger now Motorhome
If that is what makes people happy - why not. Great that they are self isolating and keeping themselves safe whilst having a bit of fun in their Motorhomes. Mine is sitting on the drive looking to all intensive purposes like my folly ?.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
How many times have we all left home, all excited to be getting away, then find that although we sort of used the check list, we have forgotten something, then end up having to buy another whilst away?
At least if you spend a night in the van, even on the drive, it gives you a better chance to work out that your misses does not need 12 pairs of shoes & wellies, and I dont need 15 pairs of pants & socks for a week away.
Do we need the BBQ or leave it, as we will be cooking in the van, shall we take the E -bikes, with their massive batteries?
Its a good chance to give everything a good pre -flight run, especially the Fridge Freezer, heating and hot water etc. A non performing FF can ruin a holiday as we found out once.
You see conversations such as those are more focused somehow when you are sat in the van.
LES
EDIT: another example would be after a long drive home, arriving in the dark, I run in the house put the heating & hot water on if needed, the return to lovely warm, bed made up van to sleep, as I can unload all the unused food, milk, & beers from the fridge the next morning, plus drain down the water properly if its very cold overnight.

Last edited:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Our Moho FF is currently performing a public service since the next door neighbour's house FF has broken, he's ordered a new one but ruddy thing can't be delivered until next Friday - so Betsy was plugged into the garage and the FF turned on for him. Has a key to get in and out the Hab door - yes we do trust him, he's Pete's cousin!

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
In our minds we will be travelling down to the Dordogne over the next few days so I got the wife to put some clingfilm on the front of the overhead to stop the bugs making it look a mess.

Adds some realism to it and lets me have 10 minutes peace

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
No - it's not just you

If ever my life was so bad, that I chose to sleep in my box on wheels parked on my driveway, instead of sleeping in my beautiful home, I would get in my box on wheels & head for Dignitas

It's only motorhoming!

There's lots of other things to be enjoyed in life (even in lockdown - yes here in Wales it's still full on lockdown ) I've has a brilliant day today and haven't even looked at my Moho

Each to their own......

Apr 13, 2019
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Ci Coachbuilt
Exp
Since September 2018
No - it's not just you

If ever my life was so bad, that I chose to sleep in my box on wheels parked on my driveway, instead of sleeping in my beautiful home, I would get in my box on wheels & head for Dignitas

It's only motorhoming!

There's lots of other things to be enjoyed in life (even in lockdown - yes here in Wales it's still full on lockdown ) I've has a brilliant day today and haven't even looked at my Moho

Each to their own......
Bah.....Humbug!

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
We are sleeping etc in our van on someone else's drive due to lockdown and having nowhere else to go!
Neighbours up the road moved their van from drive into back garden and slept in it a couple of nights, said it was like being away!
I think it’s a nice idea specially whilst we are all in this madness, it gives you a change of scene!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't see why not ... when you stay in your MH you have a different frame of mind, more relaxed, not 'reminded' of all the chores/jobs that need doing at home, you can simply switch off to them all for a while.

If it means that people can cope with lockdown more easily by being able to 'chill' in the MH and do things that remind them of lovely holidays then it can be a positive move to keep their mental status well.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
Yes we have on many occasion during lockdown as well as taken part in the Great British Camp Out in support of the NHS (y)
For us our Motorhome is our holiday home on wheels and therefore, any night spent away feels like a night away from the norm.
It’s very much a case of each to their own and life for us, is all the better for Motorhoming!!
2B153E51-AE5C-436C-923C-4EB350952192.jpeg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Yes we have on many occasion during lockdown as well as taken part in the Great British Camp Out in support of the NHS (y)
For us our Motorhome is our holiday home on wheels and therefore, any night spent away feels like a night away from the norm.
It’s very much a case of each to their own and life for us, is all the better for Motorhoming!!
View attachment 390785
Strewth ... what size (depth) awning have you got ... it looks massive!!! :oops:

scally

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 15, 2010
essex and lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Eldiss Autoquest 320
Exp
since 1998
So envious,, no chance for me. The moho is in Boston,I'm in Colchester.
Hopefully rules will be relaxed more soon

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
Me and the dogs are motorhoming every day, after chores it's a lovely walk, (if not too hot) then it's van time, dogs sleep I read or whatever, then a bbq, my friend says I'm a saddo, nahh, - am i. ???

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back