Using the Habitation Heater Whilst Driving (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

15Degrees

Free Member
Dec 15, 2018
Corby
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 747-2
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Hi Guys

I am off to Austria Snowboarding on Jan 2nd and this made me think about the temps. It will be cold down there, very. In my manual (Burstner Argos) It says not to use the heating whilst driving along. I have done this before though after forgetting to switch it off.

What is the logical the reason for not using it whilst driving? I mean ships have gas going all the time and move around a lot more than we do. What am I missing? On lovely French and German roads the rig will be quite stable.

If the flame went out then the system auto shuts it off anyways right?

Cheers
Mark.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think you are supposed to fit a regulator with an electric shut off if theres an accident not a problem for us ours runs on diesel so ok to use on the move!
By the way have a good trip we are off to Les Arcs on the 12th but on a package (£550 each flights transfers half board free wine couldn't see how it would be any cheaper in the m/h for 2 and difficult to fit the other 8 people going in!!!!!!!!)

Last edited:

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We run ours when travelling, not a problem. We have the crash cut off thing fitted. Just have to remember to stop before a refuel to turn it off, then stop at garage, fill up, then stop again to put heating back on.

This might or might not be necessary, but in my mind ther must be a flame somewhere and so I err on the side of caution!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 14, 2008
Cromer norfolk
Funster No
MH
Bailey approach 745
Exp
since 2002
Does the Argos not have Alde heating? If so would possible have a heat exchanger fitted so radiators are heated from engine water via heat exchangers.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Fan flued heaters are OK to leave on while driving, I assume you have either a Truma Combi or an Alde both are fan flued. But you must have a Seumotion regulator which has crash protection and either anti-rupture hoses or bottles with an anti-rupture cut off.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
This is a Secumotion regulator with an anti-rupture hose.
upload_2018-12-16_10-44-24.png

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Quick question - is the Secumotion regulator a direct swap for an "ordinary" regulator? Can I just replace or is there any other connections needed?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Quick question - is the Secumotion regulator a direct swap for an "ordinary" regulator? Can I just replace or is there any other connections needed?
If you mean by ordinary a bottle top regulator it's a no. The Secumotion is a bulkhead regulator (screws on the wall) they are around £125 and you will need the anti-rupture pigtail around £35.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Thanks Lenny, it's a bulkhead mounted regulator supplied by twin Gaslow bottles through a filter. Just wondered if there were any other connections, e.g. electrical.

Although, on second thoughts, unlikely to be any electrical connections in a gas locker.................:xdoh:

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Just been out for a lunch run in our van, heating on because it's very cold. No problems. We have a Secumotion gadget fitted. When touring in Scotland in the winter the van would be intolerably cold without the heating on.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
None
unlikely to be any electrical connections in a gas locker.................:xdoh:

Insulated and or I.S. (intrinsically safe) kit can be fitted.

For example, a 12v Gas Solenoid valve designed for hazardous atmosphere, gas detector, level transmitter for remote gauge, (as available for the Gaslow R67 Bottle) .. but NOT a battery, anything with an open enclosure such as a battery charger, 12v fuse box, or anything that can cause a spark.

The Truma crash valve is now called, MonoControl CS Regulator

https://www.truma.com/uk/en/products/truma-caravan-rv-gas-fittings/truma-monocontrol-cs.html

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thanks Lenny, it's a bulkhead mounted regulator supplied by twin Gaslow bottles through a filter. Just wondered if there were any other connections, e.g. electrical.

Although, on second thoughts, unlikely to be any electrical connections in a gas locker.................:xdoh:
Should be a straight swap then.
Only need electrical connections if you fit the C Remote, it gives indication inside the van when the bottles swap over and it has a heater for the regulator.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I think my system is an Alde isnt it? I have to check..

If you have the additional heat exchanger fitted (that uses engine heat transferred to the habitation radiators) then it should be no problem.

Do you know if you have this feature?

Ian

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If a standard Truma it is recommended you fit the taller flue, but thats about it.
No nowt about the alde system though

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
If a standard Truma it is recommended you fit the taller flue, but thats about it.
No nowt about the alde system though
They have a balanced sidewall flue don't they? Unless there are roof flue versions. Or do you mean the fire?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
They have a balanced sidewall flue don't they? Unless there are roof flue versions. Or do you mean the fire?
On older models ( ours is 2007 ) they do the fire which also supplies the heat for the blown air system.. Only seen balanced flues on water heaters

Christoph

Free Member
Apr 9, 2016
Lytham
Funster No
MH
VW California
Exp
Since 2014
Ours uses diesel and or elec for water and van heating so it can be left on safely when travelling which is great. Continental vans are much better equipped for the winter traveller.

OP
OP
15Degrees

15Degrees

Free Member
Dec 15, 2018
Corby
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 747-2
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Ietoi Guys

Ive checked and it appears I have a small heat exchanger which also has an electric pump bolted to it. It seems if I open the valve on the exchanger then the engine will heat the rear.

If I use the electric pump then the rear will heat the engine bay when stationary I guess to stop it freezing up.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Ietoi Guys

Ive checked and it appears I have a small heat exchanger which also has an electric pump bolted to it. It seems if I open the valve on the exchanger then the engine will heat the rear.

If I use the electric pump then the rear will heat the engine bay when stationary I guess to stop it freezing up.

Got it in one! Well, in two paragraphs to be more precise! :xgrin:

Ian

OP
OP
15Degrees

15Degrees

Free Member
Dec 15, 2018
Corby
Funster No
MH
Burstner Argos 747-2
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Got it in one! Well, in two paragraphs to be more precise! :xgrin:

Ian

Why would you want to use the rear heating to heat the engine bay though Ian? I mean the engine will have anti freeze so it would have to be damn cold to freeze it up. Not sure I see the point to that part of it.

Im assuming that with the valve open I dont have to use the interior heating controls or thermo?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Why would you want to use the rear heating to heat the engine bay though Ian? I mean the engine will have anti freeze so it would have to be damn cold to freeze it up. Not sure I see the point to that part of it.

Im assuming that with the valve open I dont have to use the interior heating controls or thermo?
It doesn't heat the engine bay, it heats the engine via the heat exchanger to prevent cold starts and make starting easier in cold weather. To heat the hab area the engine coolant is directed through the heat exchanger and the transfered heat warms the hab heating water when driving.
In its basic form its a cylinder within a cylinder, one connected to the engine, one to the heater.
Whichever is hot transfers heat to the other.

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006

It’s as @pappajohn explained; used mostly, I guess, by those who go skiing.

Ian

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
On older models ( ours is 2007 ) they do the fire which also supplies the heat for the blown air system.. Only seen balanced flues on water heaters
The newer Truma boilers are all balanced flues and do water and heating:xThumb::xThumb::xThumb:our last three vans had BF through side wall.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
We've got a small heat exchanger under the drivers seat that blows hot air into the habitation area when on the move. Took me 5 years to find out what that switch on the dash did!

It's very effective.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The Truma combo water & blown air heaters have a sidewall balanced flue. These things in link are what I was thinking of.

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back