Using a Nextbase Dashcam (1 Viewer)

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
I've been bought a 522GW :giggle: and am setting it up, it's all going very well, one thing I notice when using it is that there is a gap in the recordings when it 'backs up' to the sd card, meaning some 'action' is not recorded.

I've tried various video length recording in the settings, but not sure that makes much difference, I've watched various dashcam recordings on the forum and their doesn't seem to be gaps in the recordings.

Is this how it all works or have I missed something in the settings?

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
Maybe you got the G sensor on high sensitivity and stores the file on a separate folder as not to record over them?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Dont think my 412 has continuous recording either but 1/2/3 minuet clips but when you found clip that you want, you can write to disc with the clip either side and produce 3/6/9 min clips or more
think you might ned a go pro type camera to record total journeys

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
My mate has had similar problems with the 522GW, halfords even swapped it at one point. We've got the 312 and it's been ok.

OP
OP
LesW
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Thanks for the replies, somethings to check out.

I don't think there are 'missing' files, it's just when the 'images' are backed up to the SD card it takes a fraction of a second (or so), and in that time (depending on the speed I'm travelling at) when the camera is not recording a few hundred yards could be covered.

I think what Geo says sounds feasible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
What’s a KB
I'd never heard of them either..

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
You should have continuous recording. If anything there might be a very slight overlap between the segments.
If you look at any of my videos you will be hard pressed to find many gaps in the recordings. (Link is in my signature below if you want a shufty)
I also gave up on NextBase after having two that had problems.
I went back to BlackVue.

Richard.

OP
OP
LesW
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
You should have continuous recording. If anything there might be a very slight overlap between the segments.
If you look at any of my videos you will be hard pressed to find many gaps in the recordings. (Link is in my signature below if you want a shufty)
I also gave up on NextBase after having two that had problems.
I went back to BlackVue.

Richard.
It was looking at your videos that made me notice the lack of gaps..

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
I've been bought a 522GW :giggle: and am setting it up, it's all going very well, one thing I notice when using it is that there is a gap in the recordings when it 'backs up' to the sd card, meaning some 'action' is not recorded.

I've tried various video length recording in the settings, but not sure that makes much difference, I've watched various dashcam recordings on the forum and their doesn't seem to be gaps in the recordings.

Is this how it all works or have I missed something in the settings?
Could it be the SD card? Are you using the Nextbase one? If, not, then it could be that the dashcam is having issues with writing to the card.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Clarky-had a look at some of your videos of aires. Thanks. They’re really useful and also a great reminder of why we enjoy motorhoming so much in France. (Sorry Chris!)

OP
OP
LesW
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Could it be the SD card? Are you using the Nextbase one? If, not, then it could be that the dashcam is having issues with writing to the card.
I'm using a Samsung 128GB Micro SD Card Memory Class 10 U3, the same as the Nextbase item (or so I was told)... but I have thought this may be an issue.

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
I'm using a Samsung 128GB Micro SD Card Memory Class 10 U3, the same as the Nextbase item (or so I was told)... but I have thought this may be an issue.
The following is from Nextbase site:

Q) “What errors may I encounter using a faulty or incompatible SD card?”

A) You may experience any of the following:

• SD error messages
  • Recording failure
  • Automatic recording failure
  • Frozen screen
  • Gaps between recordings
  • Corrupted or unplayable files
  • Failure to startup and shutdown
  • Inoperable buttons

See https://www.nextbase.com/en-gb/hub/which-sd-card-do-i-use-in-my-dash-cam/

Kelsae2

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 9, 2011
kelso,scottish borders
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
LesW . I had the same problem. Changed to a less sensitive SD card and that seems to be working fine. I cannot remember the brand at the moment, but i am going to bring the van out of storage tomorrow, so can check then.

OP
OP
LesW
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
LesW . I had the same problem. Changed to a less sensitive SD card and that seems to be working fine. I cannot remember the brand at the moment, but i am going to bring the van out of storage tomorrow, so can check then.
I've taken the plunge and ordered a (very expensive) card from Nextbase. Hopefully that'll help.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a Nextbase in my car but prefer Roadhawk hd in motorhome, doesn’t miss a beat.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I use both Sandisk and Samsung 128Gb micro sd cards in our Nextbase 312GW and have had no issues. Best cards you can get for the money. Where did you get your Samsung card from as I believe there were a multitude of fakes being sold online from a year or so back?

The Nextbase own brand card will just be a rebadge generic card albeit from a reputable manufacturer.

OP
OP
LesW
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Where did you get your Samsung card from as I believe there were a multitude of fakes being sold online from a year or so back?
From eBay a few months ago, it works well apart from the gaps... as you say the Nextbase one should be 'better'.

This is the reply from Nextbase after I contacted them..

"Unfortunately Samsung Evo SD cards are not designed to be used inside dash cams, Samsung actually void the warranty if an Evo is used inside a dash cam"

I suppose that could be a standard reply, but we'll see.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2016
Essex
Funster No
MH
Burstner IXEO I728G
Exp
Ex tugger
Make sure your have downloaded & running the latest firmware as nextbase are always updating them

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I’m using a 128gb Sandisk Pro (something or other 🤷‍♂️ ) which are popular with Drone flyers and extreme sports filming.

Working fine with my 522.(y)

Mar 26, 2020
Uranus
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 185
Exp
Just taken mine out for a test drive with the SanDisk High Endurance 128GB V30 card from my old DoD dash cam. Worked fine for the ~30 mins drive, with no gaps. Time will tell.
I suppose on the plus side, if you're still having problems with your 522 with its new card, then there's only one company that's at fault: Nextbase.
Best of luck with it.

OP
OP
LesW
Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Went out today in my car, the Samsung SD card back in until the (expensive) Nextbase item arrives.

The only difference was that I turned the 'G' sensor off, (my car has quite stiff suspension), and that seemed to have 'fixed' things, whilst the recording paused for a tiny fraction of a second on playback no recording was lost, playback resumed exactly where it paused (we are talking the blink of an eye type pause).

So it could be I've wasted ÂŁ35 on a SD card, ho hum.. Nextbase even sent me a link to Samsung's website where it states that they (Samsung) do not recommend using their super dooper SD card in dashcams..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back