Urgent. New proposed legislation affecting Motorhomes/Campervans/Caravans (1 Viewer)

jetjem

Free Member
May 8, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 04
Exp
Please read, if this goes through unchallenged and is not amended it will have far reaching consequences.

Summary of the bill: "A Bill to amend the Caravan Sites and Control of Development Act 1960 to remove planning permission requirements for caravan site licence applicants; and for connected purposes."

As it's already gone through 1st reading, and 2nd reading is 23rd of this month, it's so very important to get moving now and to let MPs know of the URGENCY of amendment proposals.

Broken Link Removed
Copied from proposal
The council should be able to designate areas that no overnight stops are allowed for caravans or motor homes. This could mean that lay-bys on highways are for registered long distance lorry drivers only and no caravans or camper vans. This can include any field, gateway or common land. This legislation should be in line with the DETR guidance Managing unauthorised camping October 1998, which limits travellers’ and gypsies’ occupation of land within council districts.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jetjem

jetjem

Free Member
May 8, 2013
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Chausson 04
Exp
Yes authorities do need more powers to prevent illegal camps. BUT this will affect lots of us if left in its present form.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
So what happened?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Yes authorities do need more powers to prevent illegal camps. BUT this will affect lots of us if left in its present form.
In what way? According to the Broken Link Removed, there are no Bill Documents from which we can understand its "present form".
Additionally, it is apparently only one of Chope's latest batch of 41 private members bills - https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/n...pe-puts-forward-41-new-private-members-bills/
Does it have any "Chope" in Hell of getting any further?

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
As I don't camp park for the night illegally, I'm not sure how this would affect me if it ever came to law.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
Isn’t Chope the guy who blocked the FGM bill? I suspect he proliferates private members bills just to clog up the system because he seems to block everyone else’s.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The legislation regarding itinerant traveling community removal from a site is already enacted. However it is rarely enforced due I suspect fear or retribution.
On there hand one off stopping by a mild mannered motorhome occupant my well be easy to enforce, and provide good "process" figures.
Be careful of unintended consequences, as is ever the case

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
NPCC Operational Guidance on Unauthorised Encampments.
June 2020.
Clause 10 is most relevant to this thread.
Tried to copy it over however too large unfortunately.
The powers required exist and you will see why little used

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
[ The contents of the proposed bill can be found here:

Broken Link Removed ]

Details of its progress through parliament can be found here:

Broken Link Removed

Edit: Hmm, not so sure that the above [ link ] is the relevant text.

Ian

Last edited:

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Official [Revised Operational Advice on Unauthorised Encampments]
National Police Chiefs’ Council
9. It is suggested that attending officers should complete an initial site assessment. A
suggested form for this is attached at Appendix B; to be used by the senior officer present to
determine the potential need to evict using police powers. This will usually only be the case
where criminality, anti-social behaviour, or environmental damage is present.
10. The decision whether or not to utilise police eviction powers should be periodically reviewed
to establish if circumstances have changed that will require the use of a police eviction to
protect the rights of others. All information concerning the site and the site occupants
should be shared with all involved agencies (subject to the provisions of the Data Protection
Act), to ensure that a balanced common approach is adopted in fairness to all.
11. Assessment visits should only log details of vehicles and people where there are grounds to
suspect those individuals of anti-social behaviour or criminal activity.
12. Where appropriate, vehicle and / or any person details should be checked on the Police
National Computer (PNC) for ‘markers’ (which if present should be acted upon as
appropriate). Any criminal intelligence should be submitted in the normal format using
intelligence systems.
13. A separate log should be created for each unauthorised encampment notified to the Police.
Any calls from the public relating to the encampment, or directly attributable to its
occupants, should be recorded within the log, including any complaint calls.
14. Forces should ensure that there is a clear audit trail of decision making which sets out the
rationale for all decisions made. A suggested Eviction Rationale Record is attached at
Appendix C. Where separate Command and Control logs are created for specific incidents,
which relate to the encampment, these should be ‘incident-matched’ to the main log once
concluded. At the conclusion of the occupation of the encampment the log should be
endorsed suitably with the outcome, including any eviction powers used, and the general
behaviour and conduct of the residents.
15. All officers and police staff are responsible for ensuring that all crimes they become aware of
in the course of their duty are identified for crime recording. The principles of the Home
Office Counting Rules and the National Crime Recording Standards should be used by
officers and staff in their assessment of all potential crimes arising from unauthorised
encampment situations.o

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
The contents of the proposed bill can be found here:

Broken Link Removed

[ Details of its progress through parliament can be found here:

Broken Link Removed ]

Edit: Hmm, not so sure that the above [ link ] is the relevant text.

Ian

Your first link is to a Submission by S. Oxfordshire dated 2012.

Clipgate

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Folkestone
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The power already exist that is my point, however rarely used due to sensitivity.
Now the new act will not change that sensitivity at enforcement level I suspect, merely target the leisure motorhome user

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
From clipgate's post #16

"11. Assessment visits should only log details of vehicles and people where there are grounds to
suspect those individuals of anti-social behaviour or criminal activity.
12. Where appropriate, vehicle and / or any person details should be checked on the Police
National Computer (PNC) for ‘markers’ (which if present should be acted upon as
appropriate). Any criminal intelligence should be submitted in the normal format using
intelligence systems."

It can hardly be relevant to a couple of law-abiding motorhomers pulling up to park anywhere.

Geoff

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Have read the links and still don't know what it's about, are we for it or against it, no idea.
On the one hand it appears to be stopping illegal travelers sites but on the other hand it appears to make it that you don't need planning permission to open a site.
All over my head.

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
I read the 1st paragraph of the submission, pissed myself laughing at the way it was written ( should, could, ideally etc) and then asked myself how much these incompetent public servants are wasting proposing rubbish like this
”need tax, mot and insurance to park up” ....lets re write everything whilst we are at it

Rivermount

Free Member
Dec 3, 2019
West Berkshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2019, a bit before lockdown!
Lay-by's on the public highway are designed for rest stops, irrespective of what vehicle and a safety feature. Whilst I can see there is an issue of people "moving in" to layby's and staying there on a long term basis in vehicles of various states, maybe all that is needed is a clause which says that there must be no stopping for more than 24 hours in any period. This will prevent individual or groups of vehicles taking over said layby's and using as temporary encampments for longer periods.

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
The National Police Chiefs Council need to send these rules to Lincolnshire Constabulary / Council, as they evidently do not know about them. A couple of months back 25 caravans (gypsy/tinkers) pulled up in the sports field opposite my house (Sutton on Sea), they proceeded to break into the football club, stole alcohol, trophies and destroyed the fittings, they also visited the local shops and removed goods forgetting to pay for said goods on leaving premises, local police visited but did nothing, my wife phoned the council, only to be told by some plonker, that they could not be moved, as the caravan was classed as their home and as such were allowed to park on the field. 🤬

thebriars

Free Member
Oct 20, 2018
Teesside
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 1990
This is simply shocking. I have decided to write to my local MP who was in post at the time. Sadly there is no forwarding address for him. Sooo frustrating.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
This is simply shocking. I have decided to write to my local MP who was in post at the time. Sadly there is no forwarding address for him. Sooo frustrating.
Can someone tell us in plain English just what this thread is about? :unsure: :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back