Urgent gearbox part search - can you help? (1 Viewer)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
An unlucky start to our European trip last month has resulted in us needing a new engine on our 2005 Burstner Elegance 821.
That part is sorted, but one offending item which needs replacing is the

automatic gearbox oil cooler.

We need to find this part.
It is available from the manufacturer in Germany but will take some weeks and at a cost of over £700:censored:
( it's already cost me over £4K for the new engine and fitting:confused:)

The engine is the 2.8jtd with automatic gearbox. (Lhd)

The garage we are at have been fantastic and we are staying in the van at their premises with full facilities laid on for us ( Tomsett Kent) but even they are struggling to source this part in the uk.

We are all sending out enquiries to source his part, and maybe just maybe someone on here may have a bright idea and know where we can find one in the uk, either from a garage or parts supplier or even a breakers.

Photos attached! Help!!!!

IMG_1283.JPG
IMG_1284.JPG
IMG_1285.JPG
IMG_1286.JPG

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Blinkin heck Dave .. gremlins at large again.. someone doesn't want you going to TDM ..change your plans head a diff direction ..things will get better then

Seriously though hope it can be found soonest ..

Kath n John x

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
We are just about to cross the new Queensferry crossing and stopping at a large breakers so will ask.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
That thing will do almost nothing to cool the gearbox oil under normal running conditions. Block the oil inlet & outlet so you can refit it to complete the coolant circuit. Then connect the gearbox oil pipes to one of these:

Just make absolutely sure it isn't really a Diesel fuel heater - if it is you can safely bypass (join the two small pipes together) unless you intend visiting Polar regions.

Either way there's no reason to be stuck just because you can't immediately replace it.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Sorry it's a no, he said your best bet is to try Poland.

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
That thing will do almost nothing to cool the gearbox oil under normal running conditions. Block the oil inlet & outlet so you can refit it to complete the coolant circuit. Then connect the gearbox oil pipes to one of these:

Just make absolutely sure it isn't really a Diesel fuel heater - if it is you can safely bypass (join the two small pipes together) unless you intend visiting Polar regions.

Either way there's no reason to be stuck just because you can't immediately replace it.
Thanks Tony, all things are under discussion with the mechanic. The engine will be refitted with a bypass for now, as you suggested, as the cooler really does very little, unless going up steep hills or mountains and in hot climes, which is actually where we are most of the time! I will show him this cooler though, he has also found a unit fitted to a Peugeot engine which seems identical to the original, so we're getting there! Will get up and running ne t week with the bypass, and wait for a cooler to be fitted before we cross that channel, I want it all done properly as we do high mileage all over Europe !!!

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Thank you for the plug @hilldweller (y) Indeed I could have made a custom one to fit a certain space but the cores are very expensive (I have them made to spec/size then I weld tank's/inlet outlets on etc) so one off the shelf will be much cheaper, but glad its all sorted @BreweryDave (y)

Broken Link Removed

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
It looks more like a heat exchanger to me, than a cooler but I have no experience of autos.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Going back about 5 yrs, we were tugging back from France with an Audi Auto. We developed a leak (of water) and it was discovered that the water was coming from the Auto gearbox fluid cooler that looked similar in size to that shown above.
We were stuck in Kent over the weekend in a compound of the garage while they sourced the part.
It wasn't until I saw the Citroen part from Ebay (above) that my brain engaged gear to remember the incident.

You've got away with it pricewise as I remember the german part was at least twice that.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Thanks Tony, all things are under discussion with the mechanic. The engine will be refitted with a bypass for now, as you suggested, as the cooler really does very little, unless going up steep hills or mountains and in hot climes, which is actually where we are most of the time! I will show him this cooler though, he has also found a unit fitted to a Peugeot engine which seems identical to the original, so we're getting there! Will get up and running ne t week with the bypass, and wait for a cooler to be fitted before we cross that channel, I want it all done properly as we do high mileage all over Europe !!!
Just thought - is the Fiat Comfortmatic box?

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Blimey I always said there is no half measures with you two. :doh:

Hope your soon sorted, would have bbeen worse in France ;) not only that the weather was rubbish, now in Northern Spain wall to wall sunshine. :LOL: (y) Safe journey. Bob and Janie.

Ps 2 loads of washing dry and away.

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Sorry I didn't see your other post, can I ask what caused complete engine and gearbox failure on a not very old vehicle ?
Hope you get it sorted and can continue your travels

OP
OP
BreweryDave

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Sorry I didn't see your other post, can I ask what caused complete engine and gearbox failure on a not very old vehicle ?
Hope you get it sorted and can continue your travels

Well, we have now worked out that the most likely sequence of events was that the gearbox oil cooler failed, flooding the gearbox with coolant, thus depriving the engine of cooling, the thermostat melted and didn't register on the temperature gauge, the engine ran dry and overheated blowing the head gasket and sending oil into the cooling system - and the vicious circle is complete!

As to why, the engine had only done 46k kilometres and hadn't missed a beat since we had it and have covered about 8000 with no problems and she was well serviced. However that particular part isn't really a service item and probably more relevant was that prior to my ownership she had been sat in Italy for 3 years.
Shit happens but we should be on the road again very soon, and will be looking for a px in Germany next year on our way back!!!

Oct 2, 2008
Salopia
Funster No
MH
Duro 6x6 Overlander
Exp
since 1968
I would dump that heat exchanger , as they are a poor idea at best
about all they do is aid quick gearbox oil warm up which helps it meet emissions target (unless its aVW!) The very time you need them to do their job ie when climbing the engine is working hard as well so radiator is working flat out to cool that . You would be far better off with a dedicated trans cooler as posted by other .
I speak from 15years experience of operating a garage with recovery service in Australian temperatures. JMHO
PS what happened to your vehicle is not the least uncommon as they fail disastrously
on several vehicles where I have seen them fitted.
ZF gearboxes on landrover gearboxes for the most part just use a separate oil cooler , and they are heavy towing vehicles. My own 110 also has separate trans oil cooler and thats on a manual box .

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
I would dump that heat exchanger , as they are a poor idea at best
about all they do is aid quick gearbox oil warm up which helps it meet emissions target (unless its aVW!) The very time you need them to do their job ie when climbing the engine is working hard as well so radiator is working flat out to cool that . You would be far better off with a dedicated trans cooler as posted by other .
I speak from 15years experience of operating a garage with recovery service in Australian temperatures. JMHO
PS what happened to your vehicle is not the least uncommon as they fail disastrously
on several vehicles where I have seen them fitted.
ZF gearboxes on landrover gearboxes for the most part just use a separate oil cooler , and they are heavy towing vehicles. My own 110 also has separate trans oil cooler and thats on a manual box .
Yep hate them with a passion, I know lets cool the oil with ( 100°C ) hot water :rolleyes::p

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Oil coolers are only small but very significant if they go wrong. I had one go I think it was on a Peugeot, I was lucky in respect that it filled the cooling system with oil lifting the pressure release and sprayed oil through the grill making it visible before it did too much damage.

jtp890

Free Member
May 16, 2014
wakefield
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs 7014
Exp
13 years on n off
I it the same technical advisor that sorted us?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back