**urgent fiat non starter ** (1 Viewer)

Aug 16, 2015
Evesham
Funster No
MH
C class elddis
Exp
Newbie, long time caravaner
Had a similar issue when I went to start my Peugeot. Vehicle battery flat and wouldn't start when charged. Problem was the non start battery had also gone flat causing the non start to activate and immobilise the van.

champbob

Free Member
Jan 17, 2011
Wirral
Funster No
MH
fiat ducato
Exp
Since 2004
Had same issue and had to get AA chap who sorted it pointing to barlttery terminals. Phew

tescoal

Free Member
Jan 4, 2014
Felixstowe
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
If you need a new battery look on-line at Batterymega store they have bosch batteries at very good prices
delivered next day , free p&p

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
That was what I was thinking - some power getting through but not enough. There is a poor connection somewhere, @michndan did you try connecting a jump lead from engine to chassis, I know you've put a new earth strap on but I would still suspect a poor connection. @eddievanbitz Does the jumpstart tab connect to the engine bat pos or to the starter motor?

RobGriff

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2010
TONYPANDY Rhondda Wales
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker LB
Exp
Since 2009
Had this problem only way is take off the earthing straps and clean them and add a extra earth strap from the engine to the chassis this done the trick, no problems since . Garage told me that it was the starter motor .but. a nice man who towed me in told me what to do he said that it is a common fault with Fiat . Hope this helps Rob

Flook

Free Member
Jan 1, 2015
Chelveston, Northants
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 4th January 2015, first registered in January
I have my one on trickle charge via a battery tender, same with the motorbike. Cold weather will drop any battery's energy quickly.

Oct 4, 2015
nottingham
Funster No
MH
A class Rapido
Exp
since 2000
Have had the same problem when I couldn't get a good connection between the battery clamp and the battery post no matter how much they were cleaned. Check the battery voltage with a multi meter actually on the battery post while trying to start the engine, if there is no voltage drop you have a bad connection.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
the other day i had a quick look and tried to find the gearbox earth strap on my 2007 Fiat x250 to check its condition , but i never seen it , is it viewed / changed from the engine bay or below the vehicle? and is it on the drivers or passengers side ( RHD Vehicle )

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Could you have a problem with the starter motor
the other day i had a quick look and tried to find the gearbox earth strap on my 2007 Fiat x250 to check its condition , but i never seen it , is it viewed / changed from the engine bay or below the vehicle? and is it on the drivers or passengers side ( RHD Vehicle )
it is a crawl under the front of the van, 9-12 inch braided strap bolted between engine and gearbox.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I had a similar problem with my Volvo. Consensus was an earth strap fault. I went to undo the strap but could hardly undo the fixing bolt, I was expecting the head to shear off and thought this is so tight, it cant be a bad connection. I substituted a jump lead from the battery neg to the engine and everything worked fine, so I persevered with removing the original strap. I eventually got it free using a 3/4" breaker bar and socket, the bolt and strap terminal were covered in that white aluminium oxidation which was preventing a decent electrical contact. A wire brushing and a smear of copperslip sorted it out but I did make up a fresh lead from welding cable and soldered lugs and fitted it to the other side of the engine.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Could you have a problem with the starter motor

it is a crawl under the front of the van, 9-12 inch braided strap bolted between engine and gearbox.
thanks ill have another look after the snow buggers off :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back