Uplating - double standards ? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
A bit fed up with the threads and posts about payload especially around 3500kg particularly the 'just a paper exercise'

So many uprate then try and pretend to be less to avoid tolls, restrictions, Angles Mort........

So it's not OK to be a bit over 3500kg but OK to ignore the rules and laws when uprated......

:unsure:

125BEER

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 5, 2018
PLYMOUTH
Funster No
MH
BENIMAR MILEO 282
Exp
Since 09 2018
A bit fed up with the threads and posts about payload especially around 3500kg particularly the 'just a paper exercise'

So many uprate then try and pretend to be less to avoid tolls, restrictions, Angles Mort........

So it's not OK to be a bit over 3500kg but OK to ignore the rules and laws when uprated......

Rant over....🙄

Cheers🍻

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Think it's called ... cake and eat it

Tory GIF by GIPHY News

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp

Presumably there's also lower speed limits in other countries as they have a much more logical limit of over 3500 all up weight for reduced speed limits not 3050 unladen like us

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now

If there was clarity around Unladen weight and urban areas then it may be possible to comply

Nov 19, 2021
Nr Wigan, UK
Funster No
MH
Rapido A Class
Exp
I totally understand where you’re coming from.
Our 7m 2.9m Motorhome is only class 2 on French toll roads.

I do feel guilty about this but would feel even more guilty if I was to hold up any vehicles behind me while I pressed the button to explain that I wanted to pay more because my vehicle is 3.7t.

I try to keep the peace by just accepting the class 2 toll but do loose sleep about this as I’m sure you could imagine. I also carry a white flag that I wave after passing through the said tolls because I know the French are familiar with this.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Still can't see were it states Camping Cars Class 2 if over 3.5 tonnes GVW. 😄

It shows, to the right of the page, if over, it should be Class 3 🤔
"Camping car " is not a class

Vehicle category is determined by three criteria:
  • - Overall height
  • - Gross vehicle weight (GVW)* (for trains, towing vehicle only)
  • - Number of axles.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
"Camping car " is not a class

Vehicle category is determined by three criteria:
  • - Overall height
  • - Gross vehicle weight (GVW)* (for trains, towing vehicle only)
  • - Number of axles.
In the link you showed, the only thing below 3.5 tonnes GVW is Category 1 and
Intermediate Vehicle in Category 2
Everything else is Category 3,4,&5.

If Categories are not Class, the link you posted tells us nothing?

Edit: I can see why some people might get confused because, initially, on my phone, all it displayed was the first 2 columns, I had to move the page over to the left to read details in column 3.

Last edited:

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Guilty. Going over the Grossglockner pass a few years ago… yes I’m @4600kg…. Yes I only pay PHGV road tax at £165…. Yes, the ticket booth lady/person/man wanted to charge me loads of money to go from Italy into Austria…yes…I’m from Yorkshire, so it’s my nature to convince the ticket booth person that I was most definitely only a class 2…yes,I got away with it……and then drove from Ze am See to Germany on the back roads to avoid the tolls👍👍👍
A good trip was had by all.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Guilty. Going over the Grossglockner pass a few years ago… yes I’m @4600kg…. Yes I only pay PHGV road tax at £165…. Yes, the ticket booth lady/person/man wanted to charge me loads of money to go from Italy into Austria…yes…I’m from Yorkshire, so it’s my nature to convince the ticket booth person that I was most definitely only a class 2…yes,I got away with it……and then drove from Ze am See to Germany on the back roads to avoid the tolls👍👍👍
A good trip was had by all.
I hope you have better luck than an owner driver trucking friend of mine who was convinced (or so he claims) that the vehicle he was driving did not need a go-box (or whatever it's called if you're over a certain weight) while travelling a short distance through Austria.

The Austrian Authorities pursued him at his UK address and after he did not pay the fine, was asked to attend the court in Austria, which he refused, and now is afraid of ever going back to Austria in case they stop him

This has cost him more in lost business and extra diversion mileage than if he had paid the initial cost.

One lives & learns! 🤔

PS. This was a few years ago, so possibly all different now we are out of the union?

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
I hope you have better luck than an owner driver trucking friend of mine who was convinced (or so he claims) that the vehicle he was driving did not need a go-box (or whatever it's called if you're over a certain weight) while travelling a short distance through Austria.

The Austrian Authorities pursued him at his UK address and after he did not pay the fine, was asked to attend the court in Austria, which he refused, and now is afraid of ever going back to Austria in case they stop him

This has cost him more in lost business and extra diversion mileage than if he had paid the initial cost.

One lives & learns! 🤔
Yes, I agree now. I/we were very lucky at the time.. We are hoping to do Southern Germany next year, and I also fancy a trip to the Dolomites…. But I don’t fancy Austria/ Gobox, but it looks like the Gobox is the easiest option…

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
sorry my link told you nothing .. 🤔

it is the official autoroutes.fr. French motorway companies websit. 🤷‍♂️
It told me a lot!

It told me that if my MH is over 3.5 tonnes, it's classed as a commercial and is in Category 3.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
It told me a lot!

It told me that if my MH is over 3.5 tonnes, it's classed as a commercial and is in Category 3.
But the sensors only check height (and maybe number of axles) so if you are less than 3m high and single axle it thinks you are class 2.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
But the sensors only check height (and maybe number of axles) so if you are less than 3m high and single axle it thinks you are class 2.
When I, & my Coaches, did a lot of work in France, it was rumoured that the French Police, in there little offices attached to the tollbooth building, got a percentage of the fines and, towards the end of the Summer and Ski sessions, there was certainly more checks of tachographs, vehicle etc. and on the spot fines for the slightest infringement.

So, I guess, you makes yer choice and pays her money? 😄

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Malibu Van 640 LE K
Exp
Since 2003
If they think you are Class 2 and charge accordingly then that is their problem and a weakness in their system, which they seem prepared to live with. I take a different view about deliberately telling porky pies to get a lower charge.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
When I, & my Coaches, did a lot of work in France, it was rumoured that the French Police, in there little offices attached to the tollbooth building, got a percentage of the fines and, towards the end of the Summer and Ski sessions, there was certainly more checks of tachographs, vehicle etc. and on the spot fines for the slightest infringement.

So, I guess, you makes yer choice and pays her money? 😄

Correction: that should have read, Summer & Ski seasons, not sessions! 😡

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back