Up Plated - garage load capacity (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Hi all - after any guidance please. We have a 2015 Adria A Class and the previous owner had it up plated with full VB air suspension which now has +1000kg of payload. The rear garage has the original sticker stating 150kg loading capacity. Does anybody know if this can be exceeded following the up plating? Many thanks in advance đź‘Ť

Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Very unlikely to be honest. The hab area beyond the original chassis is quite often cantilevered off the back so the 150kg limit could be driven by this. If you look under your van to see if you can see any extra supports to the back end off the chassis extensions then you may be ok to add more weight but Adria are the only ones that can really advise you

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Very unlikely to be honest. The hab area beyond the original chassis is quite often cantilevered off the back so the 150kg limit could be driven by this. If you look under your van to see if you can see any extra supports to the back end off the chassis extensions then you may be ok to add more weight but Adria are the only ones that can really advise you
Thanks! I guess I can just load up the main hab area of the van then, if needed.

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Broken most bits now
Thanks! I guess I can just load up the main hab area of the van then, if needed.
Sometimes a towbar mounted carrier can help but the towbar manufacturer must clearly state what additional vertical load the installation is capable of carrying. Towbars aren't usually designed for heavy vertical loads but some may have a reasonable capacity.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Might be possible to get the support extensions beefed up/added to? I have always wondered about the strength of the garage (I put a electric motorbike in mine), If you look underneath it doesn't look like much supporting that overhang at all!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Sometimes a towbar mounted carrier can help but the towbar manufacturer must clearly state what additional vertical load the installation is capable of carrying. Towbars aren't usually designed for heavy vertical loads but some may have a reasonable capacity.
Thanks, it does also have a tow bar installed.

Upvote 0

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Once at Apple Campers in Wellington, Somerset, (well recommended BTW) I saw the repairs necessary to repair an A Class garage that had been overladen/overweighed.
Emma (joint owner) told me in would cost the owner about 2 thou. to repair.

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
As above I would not have thought so.
Would imagine its more about the floor structure and strength.
I have seen garages rate at 150kg, 250 kg (mine) and the biggest vans at 350kg.
Be aware to check the rear axle load limit, as sometimes uplates can increase the payload but only give a small increase to the rear axle. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
As above I would not have thought so.
Would imagine its more about the floor structure and strength.
I have seen garages rate at 150kg, 250 kg (mine) and the biggest vans at 350kg.
Be aware to check the rear axle load limit, as sometimes uplates can increase the payload but only give a small increase to the rear axle. (y)
Thanks, up plated paperwork is; Axle 1: 2200kg Axle 2: 2750kg

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
It is likely to be a structural umbrella, ie a known weak point, so if it fails, they are safe knowing that they told you. Less likely it may be the rear axle is already close to the limit. Have you weighed it?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
It is likely to be a structural umbrella, ie a known weak point, so if it fails, they are safe knowing that they told you. Less likely it may be the rear axle is already close to the limit. Have you weighed it?
Thanks Jim - no haven’t weighed the van as I would think we are fine within the axle limits due to the up plating, rear axle now has a limit of 2750kg. We do monitor what we put in the garage, but thought I’d ask the question in case we carry additional “stuff!” In that case we will just load the hab area!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
So! Adria U.K. have already responded (within 30 mins!) here is their response, I have asked for clarification:

As long as the MTPLM and the individual axle weights are not exceeded, and load in the motorhome is suitably distributed, there isn't a specific weight limit for the garage.

Upvote 0

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Thanks Jim - no haven’t weighed the van as I would think we are fine within the axle limits due to the up plating, rear axle now has a limit of 2750kg. We do monitor what we put in the garage, but thought I’d ask the question in case we carry additional “stuff!” In that case we will just load the hab area!

Between the wheels is best. Most Garages, including yours are only really designed for light bulky items, like push bikes..

Problem is, the garage has become a most popular must-have and can be seen in vans that are just not suited to such storage. In some light vans you'll find 80% of the useful storage is now 4feet behind the rear axle; it's plain crazy.

IMO It's not even useful storage. In a garage, most stuff has to be junked on top of other stuff. For every tidy garage out there you'll see ten junk lockers where people have to remove half a ton of crap to find that tent peg.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Garages are great for storing bicycles, safe from prying eyes and the wind/rain.

I’ve seen small lockers with junk stuffed in too, you don’t have to keep loads in a garage.

To me it’s like saying” Let’s buy a small house with hardly any storage then it won’t look a mess”

If your the type of of person with a big garage crammed full of junk and can’t find anything then you will change to a smaller Motorhome with no garage and have small lockers full of junk can’t find things.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

TOAD on Tour

Free Member
Nov 7, 2020
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
VW Grand California
Exp
Since 2020
Here’s Adria UK’s clarification, seems I can load more than 150kg if within the payload;

Adria Mobil applies that sticker as it is the simplest way of bringing to customers' attention to respect all actual payloads of their motorhome.

In some cases, loading more than 150kg in the garage of a motorhome could be the majority of the motorhome's total payload.

Kind regards,

Team Adria

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back