Unknown dashboard warning light (1 Viewer)

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Anyone know what this light means (red water tank with fan). It's on the instrument panel but I cannot find it in the Ducato handbook.

IMG_5703.JPG

OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
The obvious one would be low coolant level..... But that may be too obvious.
Doesn't mean its overheating but the expansion bottle may be low.
But it's not in the Fiat Ducato handbook. I think I'd better head over to the Dethleffs forum...

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
But it's not in the Fiat Ducato handbook. I think I'd better head over to the Dethleffs forum...
Definately not Dethlefs, they can't add lights to the dash cluster no matter how good they are.
It's 100% Fiat.
You need a Fiat Professional garage if anything.... Or you could top up the bottle and see if it goes out.

Upvote 0

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Just found the following on a Google search...
It could potentially be a faulty temperature sensor if the engine isn’t over-heating.
“X250 Ducatos do not have a ‘fan warning light’, though there is a red “Hot Engine Coolant” light that should illuminate briefly when the vehicle’s ignition is switched on and should illuminate when the vehicle is being driven if the engine overheats.

Current-model (X290) Ducatos have a “Engine Coolant Temperature Too High” light with an accompanying ‘temperature' symbol. The Owner Handbook advises that this should illuminate briefly when the vehicle’s ignition is switched on and should illuminate when the vehicle is being driven if the engine overheats, adding that a warning message should also appear on the instrument-panel’s display screen.”

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Definately not Dethlefs, they can't add lights to the dash cluster no matter how good they are.
It's 100% Fiat.
You need a Fiat Professional garage if anything.
Strange it's not in the handbook...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Just found the following on a Google search...
“X250 Ducatos do not have a ‘fan warning light’, though there is a red “Hot Engine Coolant” light that should illuminate briefly when the vehicle’s ignition is switched on and should illuminate when the vehicle is being driven if the engine overheats.

Current-model (X290) Ducatos have a “Engine Coolant Temperature Too High” light with an accompanying ‘temperature' symbol. The Owner Handbook advises that this should illuminate briefly when the vehicle’s ignition is switched on and should illuminate when the vehicle is being driven if the engine overheats, adding that a warning message should also appear on the instrument-panel’s display screen.”

Thank you, that's very helpful. The warning light has a dull glow - not bright like all the others and it is 'spurious' in as much that there is no mention of it in the Fiat Ducato handbook. I've just had the cam belt changed by local garage - it's come back with the bloody light on and a strange 'buzzing' sound from the top of the dashboard. I'm wondering whether the garage has done something.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As said earlier, either low water or overheating.
Could also be your instrument panel is starting to fail. Usually get some warning lights glowing faintly.

Upvote 0

Euphony

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
B Class
Exp
3 years of weekending with the odd month here and there.
Thank you, that's very helpful. The warning light has a dull glow - not bright like all the others and it is 'spurious' in as much that there is no mention of it in the Fiat Ducato handbook. I've just had the cam belt changed by local garage - it's come back with the bloody light on and a strange 'buzzing' sound from the top of the dashboard. I'm wondering whether the garage has done something.
As you said that “ The warning light has a dull glow....” There was another forum post about “phantom glow” that went on to say that it was a known dashboard problem and required cluster replacement.
1F73EE0A-5E2C-44CA-A717-F82B0A0B2551.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
With your help, have just found this (see screen shot) in earlier Ducato handbook online. Just going to check coolant level now. But... this warning light is a very dull red, not bright like the others - and not mentioned in the handbook, so wonder whether it has something to do with the earth leak mentioned above.
Screenshot 2019-10-05 at 19.03.04.png

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Have just been out to check coolant level - and as I thought, it's spot on where it should be. I'm now wondering whether the buzzing sound from the dashboard, the dim red coolant warning light - and the occasional starting problem (turn key in ignition - but just clicks rather than turns the starter motor) are all related to the 'earth connection failure' mentioned above.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Oldgustaf

Oldgustaf

Free Member
Jun 28, 2019
Far west Wales
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs T6501B
Exp
Since 2019
Have just been out to check coolant level - and as I thought, it's spot on where it should be. I'm now wondering whether the buzzing sound from the dashboard, the dim red coolant warning light - and the occasional starting problem (turn key in ignition - but just clicks rather than turns the starter motor) are all related to the 'earth connection failure' mentioned above.
An update for anyone with a Ducato based MH...

The phantom coolant light seems to have gone away for now at least. I phoned Cartronix, who were very helpful and who said phantom instrument panel lights on Ducatos are very common problem.

The buzzing from the centre of the dashboard was cured by replacing the EGR control valve (something to do with emissions). A Fiat EGR control valve is not cheap.

The intermittent starting problem (turn the key, nothing happens) was traced to a faulty starter motor. This has also been replaced.

All done under warranty at our local garage in west Wales - and I have to say that Webbs of Reading, where we purchased the Dethleffs, have been great and okayed the warranty work no problem.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back