Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Our Carthago is now at the point where the front tyres need replacing, they have about 2mm max tread and as we're planning on having a 2 month holiday from mid-May we need to change them (rears are around 5mm).

We have Michelin Agilis camping ones (225/75/16 CP 116R) but these have been superseded by their cross climate ones although we may be able to still get the same as we have.

Were thinking of getting a new tyre to replace one of the front ones and using the spare for the other (putting it on our alloy) and having one of the existing front ones as a spare for the time being. The cost to do this all would be around £220 max with balancing.

We could of course just swap front and rear as that would still give us a year or two out of what we have then change the whole lot then.

The other option is to buy 5 new tyres but obviously this would be more expensive even if we went for a different make, although we could flog the unused spare to offset the cost.

Views?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I have heard that recommendation before but we'd soon need to swap the fronts again and be even less likely to be able to get hold of matching tyres to the existing.

We've done just over 19000 miles in 3.5 years (due to CV) and I've increased our insurance to 8000 miles as we hope to be able to get away more now, so the new front will probably be down to around 5/6mm in a year's time anyway and the rear probably around 4/5mm.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
I would get two new cross climate and fit to the front.
We thought of that but then our spare would be the wrong one if we had to use it in place of one ... And I ain't carrying 2 spares!!! 😄

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
We thought of that but then our spare would be the wrong one if we had to use it in place of one ... And I ain't carrying 2 spares!!! 😄
If the your spare and the cross climate tyres are the same load rating and same ply just different treads patterns I would not be concerned about using your spare on the front in an emergency if need arises.
It is likely only to be until the puncture is repaired or tyre replaced.

Another point to consider, if you search around a manage to get a tyre that is no longer readily available you will end up having to buy 2 new tyres if you had a tyre that could not be fixed in France.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If the your spare and the cross climate tyres are the same load rating and same ply just different treads patterns I would not be concerned about using your spare on the front in an emergency if need arises.
It is likely only to be until the puncture is repaired or tyre replaced.
Yes that's an option.
Another point to consider, if you search around a manage to get a tyre that is no longer readily available you will end up having to buy 2 new tyres if you had a tyre that could not be fixed in France.
Why? Our spare would match the existing ones, AFAIK this is only if you need to buy and have to put on a new tyre.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Yes that's an option.

Why? The spare would match the existing ones, AFAIK this is only if you need to buy and have to put on a new tyre.
I must have misread your original post. I thought you were considering only buying 1 and fitting the spare also.
My apologies.
personally I would fit 2 cross climate now, if that’s your choice of tyre.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Is everyone missing something here..? Mel, in your op you state that your front tyres have 2mm max..? So you need two new ones as yours are probably illegal…

I’d go with the cross climates, it’s only 4sq inches that keep you and your van on the road.. go for the best money can buy..😎

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Is everyone missing something here..?
Yup! 😄
Mel, in your op you state that your front tyres have 2mm max..? So you need two new ones as yours are probably illegal…
We're not illegal as the minimum is 1.6mm for > 3500kg and 1.0mm for < 3500kg, we're 3850 kg. We are thinking of putting the unused spare on one side and buying another for the other side, with one of the old ones kept as a spare.

I’d go with the cross climates, it’s only 4sq inches that keep you and your van on the road.. go for the best money can buy..😎
Yup which is why I've started this thread to get feedback on which option to choose.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Yup! 😄

We're not illegal as the minimum is 1.6mm for > 3500kg and 1.0mm for < 3500kg, we're 3850 kg. We are thinking of putting the unused spare on one side and buying another for the other side, with one of the old ones kept as a spare.

Yup which is why I've started this thread to get feedback on which option to choose.
Yours seem to have gone down a lot. Our 2019 van went in for service yesterday and still got 5mm and I thought your van was newer than ours and we are 4.5t?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Personally, I’d be cautious about mixing ‘3 peaks & snowflake’ marked tyres with ‘normal’ tyres; it isn’t recommended.

Ian
On the same axle or the same on one axle only?

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yours seem to have gone down a lot. Our 2019 van went in for service yesterday and still got 5mm and I thought your van was newer than ours and we are 4.5t?
We like uppy downy roads and tracks. 😄

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Yup! 😄

In that case put a new one and the new spare on the fronts, at the speeds you do in a motorhome are not likely to aquaplane and bring the rear round, put the best old front for the spare then in a few years they’ll all have likely worn the same and then it’ll be 4 new tyres of the same ilk… I always research tyres and fit the best I can afford…

This YouTube channel gives good reviews on tyres, they may not show in their videos camping tyre but you’ll get the idea..😎

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Our Carthago is now at the point where the front tyres need replacing, they have about 2mm max tread
Flipping heck you run them low like to change ours at 4mm, changed all 5 on our fronts were at 4mm and rears at 4.5mm at 25k and 3 years.
Also if you ever go to Germany in the winter 3mm is the minium.
We have Michelin Agilis camping ones (225/75/16 CP 116R) but these have been superseded by their cross climate ones although we may be able to still get the same as we have.
Not superseded just another tyre they have bought out a camping tyre with the 3 peak rating.

Whatever you fit anything is better than Michelin camping tyres, very hard ride, very poor grip. I fitted Toyo Observe Van.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thanks bigtree for another tyre consideration to consider, I cant see if they are all season tyres 3 peak jobbies, or are they just a good summer tyre, scroll down and a list of tyres come up that are all season, but not the one you have mentioned.:unsure:
The Toyo Observe Tyres that Lenny HB has fitted are winter tyres, so have the 3 peaks needed in the EU over the winter months I believe.
So many of these tyre searches lead you up a garden path to find size, load rating plus 3 peaks for all season or winter tyres....then it says "Unavailable! :banghead: Kwik Fit are the worse for the Unavailable notice I find.
LES

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Thanks bigtree for another tyre consideration to consider, I cant see if they are all season tyres 3 peak jobbies, or are they just a good summer tyre, scroll down and a list of tyres come up that are all season, but not the one you have mentioned.:unsure:
The Toyo Observe Tyres that Lenny HB has fitted are winter tyres, so have the 3 peaks needed in the EU over the winter months I believe.
So many of these tyre searches lead you up a garden path to find size, load rating plus 3 peaks for all season or winter tyres....then it says "Unavailable! :banghead: Kwik Fit are the worse for the Unavailable notice I find.
LES

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Our Carthago is now at the point where the front tyres need replacing, they have about 2mm max tread and as we're planning on having a 2 month holiday from mid-May we need to change them (rears are around 5mm).

Were thinking of getting a new tyre to replace one of the front ones and using the spare for the other (putting it on our alloy) and having one of the existing front ones as a spare for the time being. The cost to do this all would be around £220 max with balancing.

We could of course just swap front and rear as that would still give us a year or two out of what we have then change the whole lot then.

The other option is to buy 5 new tyres but obviously this would be more expensive even if we went for a different make, although we could flog the unused spare to offset the cost.

Views?
Buy 4 tyres as long as the spare is in usable condition, if your happy with the rears leave then where they are and just change the front axle

Swapping rears to fronts / cross axle is a bit old hat and you would still need them to bed in to the new geometry so theee is a downside to doing this.

Had a nail in the front tire of the golf so I have just replaced the two fronts keeping the tread the same on that axle

My small track road car one tyre started to crack so I have replaced all of them.

So in summary change both fronts for now but if you can afford it change all 4.

I know you understand that Tyres are probably the single most important safety feature on your vehicle after a decent set of brakes….after all it’s what stops you careering off in to the green stuff and just being passengers to doom 😎👍

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
LES
They aren’t all season tyres, I previously had Michelin Agilis Alpins on but having never used the van in the winter decided just to get standard tyres when they were due for renewal. They run quieter and I would say more fuel efficient plus at 60mph the van handled much better.

Nov 22, 2018
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
S and L Apollo
Exp
Since 2018
I've just ordered Maxxis AL 2 all season tyres for my PVC. They come out well in reviews and with their qualities will hopefully avoid embarrassing and inconvenient wheel spin on damp grass. I've got 4 as I've read it's not recommended to mix all season with summer tyres on different axles. Just under £105 a corner fitted.
160575-166619-full--6276.jpg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back