Tyres: Are Michelin really worth an extra £500? (1 Viewer)

Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
my van is in the MOT today and I’m collecting tomorrow

all 6 tyres (twin axle) are perished and 1 is a failure. The others are 'advisory'

i don’t mind replacing them all, but 6 * Michelin tyres are £500 more than 6 * Falcon 'standard' tyres

is it really worth it? The fact they perished before wearing out is a message

or are Michelin tyres better for some other reason?

I’m very much tempted to go for the cheaper tyres but interested to hear any thoughts, thanks

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
Interesting discussion 🙂. I have Michelin campers on my Kontiki, after lots of experimenting I'm running at 65psi all round and find the ride fine at that pressure. My car ( a Merc 4x4 ) is on Hankook winter tyres and I find these excellent too. My works transit however runs on any part worn available at the time and is almost fully loaded all the time. No tyre problems in 10 years.

Upvote 0

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
I was looking for 3PSMF tyres as I regularly drive to Austria for snowboarding

Using the EU tyre labels and lots of research I went for General Eurovan A/S 365

It's a brand I know well as I've always used General 'Grabber' tyres on my four wheel drive vehicles

Very happy with them and the wet grip is excellent (not that we ever get rain here in Wales) when used in anger on a icy hill that no-one managed to get up, my van drove up easily without resorting to chains

Wear rate seems really good and comparable to standard tyres

At the time they were 100 notes per corner fitted - that was about 3 years ago, so maybe a bit more now

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
Hankooks for me
4 season are better in winter by far and less road noise
down side slightly less life due to softer compound

A lot depends on the actual Tyre itself. Softer compounds do not always mean faster wear.

I once ran a FWD VW T5 on Nokian Winters, they wore like butter, less than 17,000 miles where my Michelin Winters lasted twice that.

Upvote 0

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
A lot depends on the actual Tyre itself. Softer compounds do not always mean faster wear.

I once ran a FWD VW T5 on Nokian Winters, they wore like butter, less than 17,000 miles where my Michelin Winters lasted twice that.
I had Pirelli P Zeros and the rears were wearing out at 5000 miles I was very surprised the first time it happened

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We replaced all 7 on our last van then sold it😥
They replaced a mixed set---- continental all season, they were a weight category more than old set as they were borderline with van fully loaded-- 6t
I wouldn't hesitate to buy the same again--- but would not sell van soon after!!!
The old fiat van we just bought has set of goodyear dated April 2020 still like brand new------ we haven't been allowed out for most of the last year😭😭 no idea what they are like, only done about 10 miles in the van😥

Edit----- I forgot to answer your question!!!! No

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
I have Michelin on my van... but not campers. Was a tose up between Blizzaks and Cross Climates but got a deal on Cross Climates so went for them.
Everyone to their own but I cannot understand the mentality of folk who in effect are driving around in commercial vehicles but insist, because their V5 says " Motor caravan" or as they do now "Van With windows" that they need camper CP tyres... WHY?

Upvote 1
Apr 3, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Travel Van
Exp
Few years now
I have Michelin on my van... but not campers. Was a tose up between Blizzaks and Cross Climates but got a deal on Cross Climates so went for them.
Everyone to their own but I cannot understand the mentality of folk who in effect are driving around in commercial vehicles but insist, because their V5 says " Motor caravan" or as they do now "Van With windows" that they need camper CP tyres... WHY?
How do you find them? I am looking at fitting them to my van.

Upvote 0

Buzz67

Free Member
Feb 10, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
I have the Michelin CP tyres.
Rock hard ride.
Michelin say rear must always be 80 psi.
Does anyone ignore that and adjust based on axle loading ?
I know people do it with other makes, but what about Michelin Agilis CP

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
5 psi below the recommended pressures. Still feels too hard!

Is that at 75psi, or lower?

Rock hard ride.

we run at 70psi based on axle weight.

Ian

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Rock hard ride.
When the Michelins were on the van I tried dropping the pressure didn't make any difference, I run the Toyo's at 72 rear & 62 front I may drop them further.

Upvote 0

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Tyres are tyres and they are all sold in the same market, so ought to be good enough for their task if the producers are to survive. So long as the spec is right, it wouldn’t bother me which ones I had. I’ve not tried many and maybe I’m too insensitive to notice the differences but they all seem to do the job. Wear has been a problem (but not at the moment) but I guess that harder wearing tyres may come at the expense of grip. If your mileage is low, wear will not come into it. If you buy Michelin, there’s bound to be a premium for the name and to cover advertising, although that will also be true of other major brands.

I’ve heard owners getting enthusiastic about their tyres (possibly to justify an expense?) but it’s a subjective thing and not something that can be easily measured. If price is an issue, I’d go for the mid-range. How long are you likely to keep the van?

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
How do you find them? I am looking at fitting them to my van.
I fitted them mainly for wet grass rally fields which I have to say have got me out when many around me have been stuck. (Yes I know some will say driving technique rather than tyres). Also did not let me down 3 winters ago up on the very snowy Yorkshire Dales.
Much more aggressive tread than Agilis CP's which incidentely are only M&S and not 3PMS.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
Michelin cp tyres came fitted on our Brand new Burstner, horrible ride feel every bump, cant wait to be shot of then, grip is not that good on rough roads when raining, the van itself is literally shaking to bits, mind the build quality good be a lot better.

Upvote 0
Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Michelin cp tyres came fitted on our Brand new Burstner, horrible ride feel every bump, cant wait to be shot of then, grip is not that good on rough roads when raining, the van itself is literally shaking to bits, mind the build quality good be a lot better.
I have read a lot of similar comments on numerous tyre threads whilst I have been a member on here and if they really are that bad and if it was me I would bite bullet and to hang with the expense and bin them and fit more "fit for purpose" ones. !!!!

Upvote 0

Buzz67

Free Member
Feb 10, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
So, just to confirm, are people out there running Michelin Agilis CP tyres at lower pressures than the 80psi that Michelin insist on ?

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Is that at 75psi, or lower?

we run at 70psi based on axle weight.

Ian

Approx. 68 psi front, 75 psi rear. I don't have any weighbridge numbers for axle loading. My tiddler 5.4m PVC could be running at around 2800 kg (shopping mode, not camping mode).

Upvote 0

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Approx. 68 psi front, 75 psi rear. I don't have any weighbridge numbers for axle loading. My tiddler 5.4m PVC could be running at around 2800 kg (shopping mode, not camping mode).

Ahh, that does sound high for a small van.

Ian

Upvote 0
OP
OP
russ the rambler
Dec 31, 2016
southampton
Funster No
MH
Hobby Toskana 750
Exp
Since 2019
on the way home i couldnt really tell the difference between old and new tyres to be honest...what i do know is that my annual mileage was about the same number as the total cost! I could start a new thread here..."do you bother with a full service every year?"

Upvote 0

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
on the way home i couldnt really tell the difference between old and new tyres to be honest...what i do know is that my annual mileage was about the same number as the total cost! I could start a new thread here..."do you bother with a full service every year?"
If you’re thinking of this past year, it depends how far you drive to get an mot because I bet that is how far a lot has gone.

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
So, just to confirm, are people out there running Michelin Agilis CP tyres at lower pressures than the 80psi that Michelin insist on ?
Mine was run at 50psi when I had them on the coachbuilt.
I run mine at 55psi

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back