Tyre decision - what would you choose? (1 Viewer)

Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
After 6 and a half years I am about to change my tyres. The Michelin Campers have done 37,000 miles and still have 3 mm across all 4 tyres and no signs of the dreaded cracks many have experienced. I would like to replace them with something with a softer ride and from what members have suggested over the last year, I am looking at the Hankook Vantra RA18 and the Michelin Agilis cross climate. Both are not dedicated MH tyres but as I regularly use the van and am not convinced MH tyres are essential (or plan to go to Italy!) I am happy with van tyres. Having used the MH for the last 6 years I have not needed All season or winter tyres but I do travel to Spain in January so could have been lucky. That said if I did encounter heavy snow I would just stop ASAP and wait for a change / roads to be cleared.

The current MH tyres are 225/75 R16 Q116 Summer tyre on a 3500kg Hymer Exsis 6.2 mt

Hankook is about £524 from local dealer and is rated C C 70 with 10 ply load rating 121 - Summer Tyre

Michelin Cross Climate are £586 from Qwik Fit rated C A 73 load rated at a confusing 116/118 - All season tyre (15% discount on line)

What do members think and have I missed other tyres I should consider?

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
We swapped out our Michelin CP Campers for Cross Climates. Personally I found them to be a big improvement over the camper tyres.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
TeamBandS
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Thanks, The Toyo is classed as a Winter tyre by the company and as the vast majority of my mileage is in the summer and often in quite hot weather I was not sure about these tyres.

Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I know tyres are a personal choice, and what suits one, does not suit others. I had two sets of conti’s and found the hard. Before that had a set of budgets that I liked. I wanted cross climates but 600 is too much. Goodyear matador close to 600. I went for a medium budget maxxis vansmart for 85 each fitted. The reason I wanted to give them a try, as I got maxxis winter separate set, that I had the chance to test on snow and ice, very impressed. So far the new maxxis vansmart mcv3, are supple and much better ride than conti.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I went with Continental VanContact all season - I looked at Michelin but they get so much negative press I decided not to risk it and I’m on a Merc chassis so they don’t do a CP tyre for my wheel size

OP
OP
TeamBandS
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
As expected, a cross section of preferences, currently 5 to 3 for the Michelins! However, the good news is both my choices have received favourable comments. Many thanks ....

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Although Cross Climates are an all season tyre they differ to other all season tyres in that others are winter tyres that have summer capabilities whereas Cross Climates are summer tyres with winter capabilities which IMV are more suitable for our milder climate.
They are also excellent on wet grass/muddy conditions

OP
OP
TeamBandS
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Although Cross Climates are an all season tyre they differ to other all season tyres in that others are winter tyres that have summer capabilities whereas Cross Climates are summer tyres with winter capabilities which IMV are more suitable for our milder climate.
They are also excellent on wet grass/muddy conditions
If I follow you correctly, the Michelin Cross Climates are more summer biased with good winter capabilities hence better for most UK weather and indeed my own driving .

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
I've changed to cross climates. Better ride.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The Michelin Campers have done 37,000 miles and still have 3 mm across all 4 tyres
There is a good clue as to why you do not want to buy them again
There is a direct trade off between grip and longevity
Personally U would go for grip every time

Out of the option you present, Hankooks are head and shoulders above the rest

Apr 12, 2013
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Carthago 144
Exp
I have Michelin cross climates on the rear of my 4.6 ton Hymer at less than two years old They were showing signs of cracking on side walls , at three years old I have just replaced one and will replace another one soon, the inner tyres ( as there's four on the back axle ) still look ok.
They seem to have plenty of grip on wet grass and seem good on the road.

OldCodger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 1, 2017
Surrey, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
Which ever you choose, try Blackcircles.com

Terry
We had great service from Kwikfit on the drive. and their prices were good due to an offer. And I never thought I’d say that! I always feel I’m being played when I go into their depots.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Got rid of the Michelin campers at 3 year, 25,000 they still had over 4mm tread depth but such a hard ride even with full air and they must be the worst tyre for grip ever made they were diabolical.

Fitted Toyo Observe Van, far better grip great ride quality, don't notice any difference in hot weather.
I also wanted a non-directional tyre so I can swap them round with the spare.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
Couple of points/observations: driving in Austria, Germany etc from specific dates in October to February ish to be legal you need a tyre that has the actual alpine/snow flake symbol.
In our experience an all weather tyre gives a much better ride, less teeth fall out, have much better grip including driving on wet grass, the noise level at the usual motorhome traveling speeds is not an issue and the wear is just as good as summer tires. So for us no contest.
As mentioned earlier BlackCircle are good to buy on line from.

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
My nearly new van is a '20 reg and came with Michelin Campers with 10k miles on. The ride was incredibly bad at the recommended 80psi. Even when I reduced the pressure to 60psi, they were still awful. While trying to manoeuvre in a tight cul-de-sac, I needed to mount the kerb due to a parked car and it did a wheelspin in the dry. I changed them even though they were virtually new.

Went to Continental VanContact 4Season. Mostly changed to Continental because their handbook provides recommended pressures for axle weights, so I have a justification for running at 50psi. Ride is far better and driving the van is no longer a chore. Still not a magic carpet, but half as bad as it was before. Not exactly pushed them, but not had any issues with grip so far either. Manoeuvred and easily drove out of a wet field when the VW Transporter next to us needed to take a second attempt with a run-up to get out.

Alesupper

Free Member
Dec 15, 2020
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 600 SP
Couple of points/observations: driving in Austria, Germany etc from specific dates in October to February ish to be legal you need a tyre that has the actual alpine/snow flake symbol.
In our experience an all weather tyre gives a much better ride, less teeth fall out, have much better grip including driving on wet grass, the noise level at the usual motorhome traveling speeds is not an issue and the wear is just as good as summer tires. So for us no contest.
As mentioned earlier BlackCircle are good to buy on line from.
So which tyres do you use pleas?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back