Tyre decision - what would you choose? (1 Viewer)

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
My nearly new van is a '20 reg and came with Michelin Campers with 10k miles on. The ride was incredibly bad at the recommended 80psi. Even when I reduced the pressure to 60psi, they were still awful. While trying to manoeuvre in a tight cul-de-sac, I needed to mount the kerb due to a parked car and it did a wheelspin in the dry. I changed them even though they were virtually new.

Went to Continental VanContact 4Season. Mostly changed to Continental because their handbook provides recommended pressures for axle weights, so I have a justification for running at 50psi. Ride is far better and driving the van is no longer a chore. Still not a magic carpet, but half as bad as it was before. Not exactly pushed them, but not had any issues with grip so far either. Manoeuvred and easily drove out of a wet field when the VW Transporter next to us needed to take a second attempt with a run-up to get out.
We ran ours at 55 and was a more comfortable ride. It suited us but I know other experts will say different. All one can do is what suits them.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
So which tyres do you use pleas?
Not so relevant a question as the current tyres were supplied with the new vehicle, Michelin All seasons, and they are a hard tyre so will change them when appropriate. The set I was referring were Continental All Season tyres and they were brilliant but that was 10 years or more years ago so not current spec.

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
Which ever you choose, try Blackcircles.com

Terry

I use Blackcircles too, but their website has indifferent search options.
Asda are cheaper and they use the Halford fitting centres. Direct with Halfords will cost you £10 - £15 more per tyre. Use Asda.

We use our motorhome five to seven times a year, but it does spend winter stationary. We have Conti VancoCamper 215 R15. Can't see our van usage changing much over the next few years so we'll keep the Camper tyres. However, might go up to 225 R15s which means Michelin because I don't think that either Conti nor Pirelli do the 225 R15 camper tyre we need. Happy to be proven wrong, as I like Pirelli's 'A' wet weather performance.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 30, 2019
Worksop, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
Just a note van /commercial tyres can only be inflated to 65 psi some MHs run on pressures exceeding that limit bear that in mind as the roll on a tyre at 30 mph when under inflated if frightening

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
I have just replace all four Continental Vancocamper's with Hankook Vantra RA18, only done a few hundred miles but they seem a bit quieter and slightly better ride. The Continental tyres had plenty of tread but at 8 years old needed changing for my own peace of mind.

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
Just a note van /commercial tyres can only be inflated to 65 psi some MHs run on pressures exceeding that limit bear that in mind as the roll on a tyre at 30 mph when under inflated if frightening
This isn’t true of all of them. My Michelin Agilis Cross Climates had a max PSI of 76.

Sep 13, 2019
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Bailey 79-4T
Exp
Since 2019
I had the same tyre dilemma earlier this year as my rear Michelin CP tyres had cracks showing (5 years old). I replaced with the same tyre (Conti on back order at the time) the difference is night and day. I have reduced the pressures front and back and the noise reduction and handling has improved no end. I think when all said and done it’s a personal choice.

Oct 14, 2018
Nantwich, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781C Emotion
Exp
Caravanning over 30 years, Motorhoming 16 months
My nearly new van is a '20 reg and came with Michelin Campers with 10k miles on. The ride was incredibly bad at the recommended 80psi. Even when I reduced the pressure to 60psi, they were still awful. While trying to manoeuvre in a tight cul-de-sac, I needed to mount the kerb due to a parked car and it did a wheelspin in the dry. I changed them even though they were virtually new.

Went to Continental VanContact 4Season. Mostly changed to Continental because their handbook provides recommended pressures for axle weights, so I have a justification for running at 50psi. Ride is far better and driving the van is no longer a chore. Still not a magic carpet, but half as bad as it was before. Not exactly pushed them, but not had any issues with grip so far either. Manoeuvred and easily drove out of a wet field when the VW Transporter next to us needed to take a second attempt with a run-up to get out.
Just checking them out to perhaps do as you have - swap 3000 miles Mitchelin because of the poor grip and awful ride. we are plated at 4500kg and have to run at 80 psi. going over cat's eyes almost has your fillings out. We also have full air suspension.
However, I found this test result on the Continental VanContact 4Season :

Latest Tyre Test Results​

2020 Commercial Van All Season Tyre Test - 1st of 7 tyres

• Positive - Very good traction, cornering and braking on snow, easy to control in the wet, very good in the dry, pleasantly quiet.
  • Negative - Long dry braking distances.
The egative that they quote is how I find the Mitchelins.

Apr 22, 2018
Herts.
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral lowline
I wanted a winter tyre, and something that would be better on grass.

Very very impressed with these. Had mich camp, and before that Conti camp

Attachments

• 2ABFFFA0-CAD4-4172-BE0B-CBD77CBA1745.jpeg
    2ABFFFA0-CAD4-4172-BE0B-CBD77CBA1745.jpeg
    636.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 7ECDE342-F7D3-4F7A-9B6C-EF504DF9588B.jpeg
    7ECDE342-F7D3-4F7A-9B6C-EF504DF9588B.jpeg
    786.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 83EB0AA9-CD09-4740-94D3-1B14E45810B4.jpeg
    83EB0AA9-CD09-4740-94D3-1B14E45810B4.jpeg
    606.2 KB · Views: 77
Jan 1, 2020
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymercar Ayers Rock
Exp
Since 2008
I’ll second the Michelin Agilis Camping CP tyres having poor grip. They will be removed soon despite having been on the van for just over 12 months and 10,000 miles, not for tread wear reasons but for the same reasons of grip that Guigsy reports. Wheelspin in the dry on tight uphill turns at times.

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
Dont think that's right, the tyre pressures for the base van on its van/commercial tyres is usually higher than 65psi.....I'm sure they are 80psi on some of the fiat Van's

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Disagree... when looking for my Cross climates ( if memory serves) the max tyre pressure was 90 psi.
In addition how many Funsters on here run camping tyres and were so appalled with the ride at 80psi they reduced pressure to 50/60 psi and are now much happier with the ride !

Apr 3, 2018
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
1995-2004 & 2017》
Think there may be a bit of confusion creeping in.
There is 2 different Michelin Agilis tyres.
The Agilis camping tyre and
The Agilis Cross Climate tyre....
2 totally different tyres.

dhall26

Free Member
Aug 19, 2012
South lincs
Funster No
MH
Self Built Ducato
Exp
Pirelli All Seasons are good. Very quiet and great in the wet. Have the '3 peaks/snowflake' marking for German winters.

Feb 29, 2012
Reading & Surgeres France.
Funster No
MH
Hymer 584
Exp
Motor homing since 1998.
I've been following various threads here about tyre choice. I have Michelins on my Hymer & really regret buying them as a replacement for the original Michelins. The ride is so harsh, even with pressures reduced it's as if there is no suspension. I was drawn to the comments of Lenny B on Toyo Observe tyres & as the Michelins on my car we're splitting & had always seemed a harsh & noisy ride.
I've now replaced them with Toyos & having just driven 250 miles into France can say they are a vast improvement in both ride & noise.
When funds permit it will be Toyos for the Hymer.
I have seen the on the internet at around £110 a corner, although I would want to check manufacturing dates before I bought.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have seen the on the internet at around £110 a corner, although I would want to check manufacturing dates before I bought.
When I bought my Toyo's last year the manufacturing date was 9 months previous, not a problem I'll wear then out within 4 years.
One problem for low mileage Motorhomers is the tyre industry considers a tyre brand new up to 2 years old.

Denis Stone

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2009
The question as to which tyre to choose is closely related to the subject of tyre pressures. Annoyingly, Michelin won't discuss the possibility of reducing the fronts below 65 (the rears should be at 80, they say), presumably because of the threat of a blow-out if you run the pressure too low? I too have Michelin Agilis Camping tyres on my 6m Ducato-based motorhome - they came with the vehicle - and have had lots of problems with stability on motorways (have been blown half-out of my lane on occasion) and a general lack of feel and questionable grip. I can't say for sure that this is down to the tyres, but other posts in this thread seem to point that way.
On the subject of tyre pressures (should I be starting a new thread?), there are a couple of brilliant web links worth viewing:-

Sunny

Free Member
Sep 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Im a newbie
I’m just about to change all four tyres due to age/wear, and can’t decide between the cross climates and conti VanContact Camper CP apparently a newish all season CP tyre - but can’t find any reviews has anyone tried these?

Denis Stone

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2009
...oops, hit the wrong key, sorry. The other link is to TyreSafe, where they list most tyres individually as the recommended pressure varies between makes. See here:-
For my 'van, running on the Campers, the recommended front pressure is significantly below 60.

Jamesh

Free Member
Jun 28, 2020
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Caravaning since 2010
I’m just about to change all four tyres due to age/wear, and can’t decide between the cross climates and conti VanContact Camper CP apparently a newish all season CP tyre - but can’t find any reviews has anyone tried these?
Avoid if using van regularly - they give a harsh ride.

Better off with standard van tyres tbh.

Cheers James

Oct 15, 2011
Not Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic eline
Exp
Since 2011
Have a look at Camskill tyres, I found them to be the cheapest supplier when I was looking to change my tyres. I went for Nexen Roadian CT8, as have others on here. Far superior ride than the Michelin Agilis Alpin tyres I had.

Denis Stone

Free Member
Oct 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2009
Dont think that's right, the tyre pressures for the base van on its van/commercial tyres is usually higher than 65psi.....I'm sure they are 80psi on some of the fiat Van's
With the Michelins, the max pressure is given on the tyre's sidewall (80 for Camping). Perhaps the same for other makes?

Feb 16, 2020
Taunton
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
We replaced our tyres a few months back (6 year old and with less than 5k miles total but signs of cracking). When deciding what tyres to replace I suggest checking stock. We had to wait several weeks for our Michelin and with the current general supply issues no matter what you go for supply could be an issue? The upside they come with a great manufacturers date.

Aug 6, 2018
Dorset
Funster No
MH
GLOBECAR CAMPSCOUT
Exp
Since 2019
After 6 and a half years I am about to change my tyres. The Michelin Campers have done 37,000 miles and still have 3 mm across all 4 tyres and no signs of the dreaded cracks many have experienced. I would like to replace them with something with a softer ride and from what members have suggested over the last year, I am looking at the Hankook Vantra RA18 and the Michelin Agilis cross climate. Both are not dedicated MH tyres but as I regularly use the van and am not convinced MH tyres are essential (or plan to go to Italy!) I am happy with van tyres. Having used the MH for the last 6 years I have not needed All season or winter tyres but I do travel to Spain in January so could have been lucky. That said if I did encounter heavy snow I would just stop ASAP and wait for a change / roads to be cleared.

The current MH tyres are 225/75 R16 Q116 Summer tyre on a 3500kg Hymer Exsis 6.2 mt

Hankook is about £524 from local dealer and is rated C C 70 with 10 ply load rating 121 - Summer Tyre

Michelin Cross Climate are £586 from Qwik Fit rated C A 73 load rated at a confusing 116/118 - All season tyre (15% discount on line)

What do members think and have I missed other tyres I should consider?
If you’re a member of the Facebook Hymer Owners Group you get a discount at National Tyres, it’s only 5% and that’s the same as the discount offered to Caravan and Motorhome Club members (who get better discounts than HOG members on other items at National Tyres).
We changed from Vanco camper tyres to Pirelli campers and noticed an improvement in ride, but the old tyres were 7 years old so an improvement would be noticeable whichever tyre we went for I think.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
After having to change all 7 of the tyres with Michelin camping tyres many years ago I decided on my 1st van conversion to give budget commercial tyres a go.

I have never looked back. For the last 10 years I have stuck with them just buying whatever no name is available. Never had a problem and never noticed any problems with grip, or comfort.
Saved myself a fortune.

OP
OP
TeamBandS
Jun 24, 2019
Shrewsbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer 504i A Class
Exp
Since 2016 & 20+ shed dragger
What a wonderfully helpful group of people - many thanks to all.

Having considered everything put forward I am favouring the Hankook Vantra RA18 tyres. I have managed for 6 years with the camper tyres (a summer tyre) and a softer ride and quietness are coming to the for and anything above a C and C rating should be OK. This said I have come accross the Continentals Van Contract 200 tyre that states B for fuel, A for breaking and 72 for noise! About £14 a corner more expensive but fuel saving and better breaking could well be worth it?????

A couple of questions if I may:

Some are stating that Michelin tyre still have an issue with cracking on the side walls??

I have read else where that Continental's can get worn quickly on the outer edges???

Any experiences on there points appreciated.

Pablotti

Free Member
Feb 25, 2021
Devon 🇬🇧
Funster No
MH
2020 AS Fairford
A couple of questions if I may:

Some are stating that Michelin tyre still have an issue with cracking on the side walls??

I have read else where that Continental's can get worn quickly on the outer edges???

Any experiences on there points appreciated.
There are far too many variables for anyone to answer this accurately. Usage, mileage, standing time, temperature, load, tracking, yadda yadda. Everyone's tyre experiences will be somewhat unique to them, and indeed subjective based on their own preferences, brand loyalties, and so on.

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
My Hankook Vantra RA18 tyres are 225/75/16 with a 120 load rating and can have a maximum pressure of 85 psi according to Hankook's website, other Hankook Vantra RA18 tyres at different sizes can be restricted with lower pressures. Trying to pick tyres is a mind bending experience with so many variables in play.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back