Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Wales last time I checked.
Funster No
MH
Caravan: Buccaneer
Exp
Caravan before 2000 / Motorhome From 2018 to 22 / Now Caravan again.
Hi all,

Well me, wife and dog Jacko are planning a two week trip to France next July 22 and looking for advice and tips.

I know I need to get a dogs passport ready so here we go…….

Looking for in a site/town…

Dog friendly.
Near beach.
Near shops, restaurants etc.
Within walking distance of something interesting to look at.

Tempted to travel and stay the first week on site as above and the 2nd week start travelling back home but stay in sites as we go so on the last Saturday we can just jump on the shuttle and get home.

So plans afoot tips etc.

Regards.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
You need an Animal Health Certificate, for your dog, not a passport, Has it had the Rabies vaccination? If not you’re stuffed. If it has then you need to find a vet that does the AHC, pdq.

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
If it’s next July 22, ie 2021 then I think you will be too late unless you have already got your dog passport as I think you have to have the injections 3 months before travelling?
Campsite at Chartres is great for walking into the very historic city, If a bit dated re facilities.
Ex municipal campsite at Pont de L’Arche on the River Seine outside Rouen is basic but great location. Small town with shops & bus to beautiful Rouen.
Campsite at Laon is excellent for facilities & can walk, up the big hill, into the medieval city with beautiful things to see & plenty of restaurants.
Any of the sites by the river at Millau give foot access to the wonderful city with all you want, fantastic scenery around the Gorges du Tarn & the viaduct.
Campsite at Dieppe a good walk into the town & harbour.
Campsite at Nevers on the river edge easy walk into the historic city over the bridge.
Campsite at Bordeaux great for visiting this large beautiful city via the tram.
I could go on but really without more info on where your travelling from etc 2 weeks is a very short time to suggest places. I’ve given a smattering of some we really like & others closer to the channel.
Hope this gives you soon food for thought.

OP
OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Hi all,

Thanks for the info so far much appreciated indeed.

Locations I have no idea never been it’s all new to us but we have 12 months to plan and yes I know 2 weeks is short but work will not allow 3 weeks or more off so we are stuck to two week blocks.

I like the south of France myself, weather, heat, locations but I’m presuming it’s a 2 to 3 day drive down and the same back and that’s a chunk out of a two week stay.

The only other thing I can think of is split it between a range of sites down and up but that puts me off due to the packing up lark between locations, hence I want to drive down, stay and drive back say over 2/3 days.

But you lot know more than me so Hence the question.

Thanks.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
I’d head down Vendee way - it should be nice and hot there in July. Plenty of coast line to research
and I’d head back more slowly through Brittany.
careful to check your chosen French beach is dog friendly in July - many have restrictions though most allow access morning or evening

May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
Hi again Realist. It is hard to be able to access just my stories on the CAMC site to post a link here but HERE is a link to the overseas section of stories. I have 108 on there in total about our continental tours, but unfortunately don’t post anymore, but if you trawl back over the years you should spot mine and the titles will indicate where the story is about, including those in France which will give lots of info about that place. Other authors well worth looking at for info is Chasncath & DavidKlyne who are both next to me in the Top Authors list. If you are a member yourself you may be able to log in and click on the author & go straight to all their stories to make it simpler.
As I said an important aspect of where to advise is which port you will be entering France to gauge driving times for the limited stay To give some idea we avoided toll motorways unless essential and setting off from Zeebrugge in Belgium at 0930 on our way to Spain, depending on route, we would stop on the way at Rouen, Nevers or Poitiers, then Millau or Bordeau, then Costa Brava in Spain or Aire sur L’Adore or St Jean du Luz in France before crossing the borders 4 night stops on the way 😊.

PS. If you look at any of my stories they are all titled ‘Post It from ….’ and the photos now attached to them are not the original ones posted with the story, hence my no longer posting them, a long story. :cry:

Last edited:

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
We like this site, which is on a huge dog friendly beach. The town is walking distance, with plenty of bars, restaurants and shops and an excellent market. The town is next to a salt water lake.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

claude et maude

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2018
Kent
Funster No
MH
Hymer B664 CL
Exp
Since 2018
Our last trip down south in France before lockdown was:

lailly-en-val - little village, few small shops but lovely aire.
Royan - looks great but arrived on super hot day at wrong time and couldn’t get on the aire but planning on having another try when we eventually get back to France.
Bordeaux - as Roy & Sharron say, it’s lovely, going to go for longer next time but just spent a day there.
Biarritz - stayed for 10 days I think, stunning, a number of camp sites with full facilities. Can’t remember if the one we stayed on allowed dogs but close to beach and €2 to ride the bus all day which we used for getting in to the amazing town.

it worked for us but whatever floats your boat, I’m planning on a sabbatical next time to do a longer tour, down to southwest France again then head east and end up in Italy or wherever Hymer decides to take us.

OP
OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Guys great info something for us to read over and at least its a starting point.

I would love to go back to Benidorm but 2 weeks is no way long enough and ferry costs £1600 return against tunnel £320 its a no brainer.

I do fancy a slow drive down, take in the sights and sounds and go with the flow but I'm the type of chap that likes to pitch up, set moho up and bang job done and from their on its enjoy the weather, food, surrounds until its home time.

Thanks all.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Guys great info something for us to read over and at least its a starting point.

I would love to go back to Benidorm but 2 weeks is no way long enough and ferry costs £1600 return against tunnel £320 its a no brainer.

I do fancy a slow drive down, take in the sights and sounds and go with the flow but I'm the type of chap that likes to pitch up, set moho up and bang job done and from their on its enjoy the weather, food, surrounds until its home time.

Thanks all.
You sound more like a Tugger,😆😆BUSBY.

James-Alex

Free Member
Oct 3, 2020
Bath. Somerset
Funster No
MH
Autotrail excel 640G
We’ve been watching Rick Stein in Spain and France to try to gather some places we like the look off. It’s thrown up some great spots and we’re really looking forward to going to them one day

Aug 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1986
We like the programme but he admitted that although he likes cooking in or outside the campervan he doesn't sleep in it

Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
Yep I think the rabies jab need to be done 22 days before travel.. then AHC .
Then your good to go.

OP
OP
Realist

Realist

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 4, 2018
Funster No
MH
Exp
Well I have 12 months of planning, sites to find, tunnel to book, dog to jab and misses to argue with.

Jul 13, 2021
Launceston, UK
Funster No
MH
Majestic 175 2013
Exp
Since 2011
Hi I am new to this site we were in the same situation as yourselves 6yrs ago. We live in Launceston Cornwall decided to visit the Normandy landing museums and beaches. there are lots of camps sites with dog friendly beaches and with eup. spent 5 days out of our 14 there excellent the wife suggested we visit our twin town of Plestin les Greves in Brittany sent whole day travelling to the town. tourist shop directed us to a campsite 2km away called St Efflam right on the coast indoor heated pool eup etc 15 euros a day all in. local walks to town etc good good cafes Sunday market lots to do in Brittany dog friendly beaches we stayed the rest of the time there.
We go every year but now from Plymouth to Roscoff £440 return fare van 7.2 mts 2 adults and cabins approx 45 mins drive from roscoff to St Efflam 35- 40 miles no tolls. Type in " Plestin les Greves Brittany " and a whole lot of info comes up with lots to do . we now stay longer and have travelled to Italy, Spain, Portugal, Austria Germany . and the low countries It all depends on the planning and we sometimes do single journey on the ferry depart and return from different ports.I wish you good luck and happy times.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back