Two Questions- When to Drain Down and What is the leaver for on the toilet? (1 Viewer)

Jul 20, 2018
Bridport Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 655
Exp
Trailer tent for 10 years Motorhome since 2018
Hi, I'm just about to collect our first motorhome and have a couple of questions, its a Swift Kontiki 655 and there is a leaver on the toilet near the base. what is it for, what position should it be in? Also we intend using the van during the winter, some weekend breaks to get used to it, should I drain the water down (inc boiler) every time we get home?

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Is the lever the at the back of the toilet? If so it could be the one that opens and closes the casset. :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

It sounds like the lever on the toilet is the one that drops the contents of the toilet into the cassette below after use. It opens a blade at the bottom of the toilet, drops the contents, then close it again to form a seal. The cassette will need to be emptied once filled.

Wyn

Upvote 0
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
Not sure about your model but do you mean the lever that opens and closes the blade across the bowl outlet? If so then you open the blade to do what you have to do then close it to stop pongs coming up.

Re water. Depends if you intend to keep it on electricity whilst stored. If you can keep a little heat in the boiler and 'van then the water should be ok. If left in the cold then most boilers dump their water when the temp drops close to 5 deg or less. Also, the internal piping can freeze so best to drain to avoid damage to the fittings.

Enjoy your first mh.

Edit.....Beaten to it.!!!

Upvote 0

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands.

It sounds like the lever on the toilet is the one that drops the contents of the toilet into the cassette below after use. It opens a blade at the bottom of the toilet, drops the contents, then close it again to form a seal. The cassette will need to be emptied once filled.

Wyn
Damn need to type quicker! Beaten to it again. :rolleyes:

Wyn

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hi, I'm just about to collect our first motorhome and have a couple of questions, its a Swift Kontiki 655 and there is a leaver on the toilet near the base. what is it for, what position should it be in? Also we intend using the van during the winter, some weekend breaks to get used to it, should I drain the water down (inc boiler) every time we get home?
When you collect it make sure you get shown where everything is and how to use it best to video on your phone so you don't forget later

Upvote 0

mfw

Banned
Sep 16, 2017
Worthing
Funster No
There is at least 2 different ways to drain boiler red knob( frost protection) or a 3 way valve which 1 have you got

Upvote 0

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
Perhaps the people you are buying it from will show you how it all works. Make sure its water tight before you take delivery. They don't call them KONLIKI's for nothing.

Upvote 0

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
If your not using the cassette worth putting a but of olive oil on the seal so it doesn't dry out.

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
If travelling in mountainous regions, be careful to open the toilet cassette blade VERY slowly and carefully because of the possible change of pressure in the tank - suggested as a result of a couple of unpleasant experiences... ;) (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave Scadding
Jul 20, 2018
Bridport Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 655
Exp
If travelling in mountainous regions, be careful to open the toilet cassette blade VERY slowly and carefully because of the possible change of pressure in the tank - suggested as a result of a couple of unpleasant experiences... ;) (y)
Thanks for the warning, however mountainous areas may be for the future!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave Scadding
Jul 20, 2018
Bridport Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 655
Exp
Perhaps the people you are buying it from will show you how it all works. Make sure its water tight before you take delivery. They don't call them KONLIKI's for nothing.
Thanks I'm sure they will however I would imagine the demo will be quite intense and there's a lot to take in for a beginner. I think "KONLIKI" is more to do with the rhyme than fact otherwise the Kontiki model would have been replaced long a go??

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think "KONLIKI" is more to do with the rhyme than fact otherwise the Kontiki model would have been replaced long a go??
Oh no they wouldn't. :LOL:

To be honest, I never had any more problem with damp than most other makes on either of my Kontiki's, a 1999 and a 2001.
I had to remove and reseal one window.... That's it, nothing else.
I think it's pot luck, you either get a good one or a not so good one but they're all fixable.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dave Scadding
Jul 20, 2018
Bridport Dorset
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 655
Exp
Thanks, I'm sure she will as prior to emptying we are likely to have a discussion on who's doing it!! although I'll lose :D

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back