Two more for you experts to look over if you wouldn't mind?! (1 Viewer)

Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Hello, me again! When I last posted a Hymer i was planning to look at, a forum member gave me some invaluable advice regarding its foreign registration (to me living in Poland). That was incredibly helpful and saved me a rather long and pointless journey. I was wondering if you would be so kind as to spare a few minutes and cast you eyes over two other adverts which have caught my eye and see if anything instantly sets alarm bells ringing? As much as I have learnt from my time here, I still appreciate I have a lot more still to learn and so I hand it over to your collective wisdom! Many thanks and as always I am extremely grateful for your time.

Number one

Number two
<Broken link removed>

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
We used to buy older motorhomes. We are not experts but if we were looking we would question the change in upholstery and what looks like damp staining in the dining area. I am only going by the pictures.

Invest in a damp tester would be my best advice. Out of the two the second one looks better but looks can be deceiving.

In England this one costs PLN 20491

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-...0001&campid=5338547443&icep_item=392689790417

Motorhome fun has a buyers guide you may find it extremely helpful.

Wishing you good luck in finding your motorhome xxxx

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
The first one has had a repair below the window by the table and looks damp stained

the second has obvious signs of rust repairs underneath

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
At under £5k GbP then you must expect a need for some remedial work and ongoing repairs

Upvote 0
Jan 2, 2017
New Forest
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autostratus
Exp
full timing since beginning 2017
My vote , for what it's worth ?, and being another low budget moho owner, is the second one
It looks quite close to original inside, that's good, basic, not too complicated
Outside doesn't look to bad, doesn't need anything immediately, and yes the older ones do need more maintenance as you go along
At the end of the day it's just a van with a few electrics thrown in, it's nothing that you can't handle
Take a damp metre
Even if you do find a small amount of damp it's up to you if you want to repair it, it can easily be done in small areas
My son bought very similar and him and his wife and two dogs spent a year round Europe, van is still going now!
I think the layout is the key for you and your family, if it feels like a good fit then maybe worth the extra time to look after it?

Upvote 0
Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
I see the repairs under the table looks like it’s been repaired with pallets
The Fiat looks like the previous owners love their van and looks more original just by the photos my choice would be Number 2. Take care only one lot of money mate

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The first one just doesn't look right there has been too much bodging going on.
The Fiat looks much better you need to fiat part carefully for bodged repair, the scuttle under the bottom of the screen are know for rusting out but repairable. Just allow some cash for repairs.
Has it got power steering? If not it will be a pig to drive.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RubyOptics
Nov 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Challenger 287GA
Exp
Since 2020
Thank you all for your time and your replies. You have basically confirmed by thoughts, the first looks nice on first impressions... But what is underneath? The second does look promising. TheBig1 may I ask what you see with regards to rust repairs?

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thank you all for your time and your replies. You have basically confirmed by thoughts, the first looks nice on first impressions... But what is underneath? The second does look promising. TheBig1 may I ask what you see with regards to rust repairs?
that advert is now gone, but as you looked underneath there were several areas repaired and oversprayed to prevent fast rusting caused by the welding.. Blow the pictures up large and you can see more areas of concern

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back