SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Fulltiming since February 2013
Ps if you want to get close to a volcano try stopping at Vulcano Solfatera ACSI site on the way back through mainland Italy (if you haven't been already). Its at a place called Pozzuoli and you camp inside the crater, sadly though its dormant so it detracts from the excitement a bit..:). Its very interesting though and you get free access to the touristy bit. The steam room is quite good (really) though the sulphur smell isn't great..:D2

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
sadly though its dormant

No such thing in southern Italy, it's sat on one ginormous magma chamber just waiting to blow taking out southern Europe, northern Africa. No-one is sure when it will blow it's top but within the next 10,000 years.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
High temperatures, forest fires and water shortages are amongst the natural hazards we may have to face. I have also loaded an app onto my phone called "Volcanoes and Earthquakes" which will alert me to any seismic or volcanic activity near us. What me, worried? Not at all! :) We are looking forward to seeing Mount Etna which I understand after being quiet for the last few months has started rumbling again. It must be getting as excited as we are at meeting each other.

Compared to previous trips the Murvi is now loaded with luxuries - a hairdryer for Mrs DBK and a small espresso machine for me. Knowing my luck the cheapo inverter powering these will pack up depriving us of their joys but we can at least set out in hope. :)

I would love to visit Stomboli but not on this trip - the downside of having a dog who doesn't like the heat!
Are you planning to visit Sardinia then return to mainland Italy? We had originally considered island hopping from Corsica to Sardinia then on to Sicily. But again, consideration for the wretched dog :) ruled that out. The hops to Corsica and Sardinia are short but Sardinia to Sicily is quite a long way. We haven't ruled this route out, ditto a return from Palermo to Genoa (24 hours) but I need to confirm the dog accommodation side first.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMB
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
OK, only one place left for you to miss, Montalbano's House.
I've got a map of all the filming locations!

Screenshot_20170908-215157~2.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Again entirely out of context there is one of those MoHo washers by the Camping Mar Azul at Balerma not far from Almeria Andalucia Spain!!

Just saying! :)
There should be more of them. On a par with the invention of the printing press for the advancement of civilisation. :)

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
I would love to visit Stomboli but not on this trip - the downside of having a dog who doesn't like the heat!
Are you planning to visit Sardinia then return to mainland Italy? We had originally considered island hopping from Corsica to Sardinia then on to Sicily. But again, consideration for the wretched dog :) ruled that out. The hops to Corsica and Sardinia are short but Sardinia to Sicily is quite a long way. We haven't ruled this route out, ditto a return from Palermo to Genoa (24 hours) but I need to confirm the dog accommodation side first.
Etna is quite spectacular, and a lot more accessible than Stomboli. Careful though we got caught in a blizzard at the BOTTOM of the ski lifts.

Dick

Ps you can view it at night when it is erupting from camping Jonio in Catania.

Reactions: SMB

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I've got a map of all the filming locations!

And while you are away we are watching a new series of four two hour episodes. I'm not over impressed though, but they are visually exciting.

Maybe when you get to these locations you can confirm or deny that there are never people walking the streets or any traffic.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Charlie and I walked down to the beach this evening. There is a saying "what a difference a day makes" but here it should be "what a difference a ferry makes". Tropea was heaving, this place is empty. Charlie couldn't get a swim in the last place, tonight he had the beach to himself. :)

OI000121.jpg

Beware sea monsters!

A few random shots from the beach - note absence of people.

OI000120.jpg

OI000113.jpg

OI000112.jpg

The mountains in the far distance in the last shot are mainland Italy. I hadn't realised just how close Sicily was to the rest of Italy until we arrived at Villa San Giovanni when what I thought was a headland sticking out from the coast turned out to be a bit of Sicily. :) Our ferry crossing was only about three miles but at their closest the two land masses are half that distance apart just a little further north.

Immediately to our west from the site is the Tindari reserve which has a famous sand spit with lagoons sticking out into the sea. We will explore this tomorrow but here is a picture of one of the lagoons just behind the beach.

OI000115.jpg

The ripples are due to Charlie, his head is just visible at the bottom of the shot. Children and animals, don't work with them! :)

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
No such thing in southern Italy, it's sat on one ginormous magma chamber just waiting to blow taking out southern Europe, northern Africa. No-one is sure when it will blow it's top but within the next 10,000 years.
Now you tell me, I've been there three times :Eeek:

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
Pooch comes first (y). Our plan is to get the ferry from Barcelona to Sardinia then from there to Sicily before getting the ferry from Messina to mainland Italy. I've done it before and its quite an easy crossing both from Barcelona and then Cagliari to Palermo. The Sardinia ferry from Barcelona also travels to Civitavecchia and I've seen people walking their dogs around on the decks so they must be dog-friendly (unlike some Italian buses).

SMB

Apr 26, 2013
Spain
Funster No
MH
Coachbuild
Exp
savoca (18).JPG
savoca (20).JPG
If you like film locations a good place to visit is Bar Vitelli in Savoca, its famous for being in the movie The Godfather where Michael Corleone meets the father of his future wife. The bar itself is very pretty and there is a 12th century church called Chiesa Madre as well as other interesting places. The views are also very good, on a clear day you can see Etna. I stayed at an ACSI site nearby called La Focetta Sicula which was ok, I walked up which took me about an hour which would be too much for the pooch I would imagine but there is a bus service as well. The person in the photo is not an itinerant I just hadnt shaved for a while...

savoca (67).JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A gentle day today but after lunch I went for wander to see the Laguna di Oliveri - which is best viewed from the air and ideally from a photograph stolen off the internet. :)

31_tindari-archaeological_site-sicily.jpg

It's a sand spit with several lagoons near the shore. Our campsite is immediately beyond the furtherest lagoon. There are some ruins on the hillside above, a Greek theatre and the remains of an ancient Greek town and Roman villa. We plan to visit these tomorrow.

At ground level the lagoons look like this.

LRM_EXPORT_20170909_185006.jpg

The water is salt and there were small fish swimming amongst what looked like eel grass. The water was warm and Charlie had great fun running in and out of it.

The building on the cliff is the Sanctuary of the Madonna di Tindari which houses a Madonna Nera or Black Madonna. Once a year there is a pilgrimage to honour her - and the day we arrived here was the very day of the pilgrimage - which we missed of course - but our excuse is it was raining.

Later I saw a Peregrine Falcon grab a bird, possibly a Swallow) out of the air above one of the lagoons. It then flew in a very wide arc over the sand spit before landing momentarily low down on the cliff before flying away again. It was too far away to see what had happened but I suspect either a juvenile was sitting on the cliff or its mate was there and he gave her a present. It was too low on the cliff and the wrong time of the year to be a nest. Of course it just might have been an Eleanor's Falcon but they breed communally at this time of year (feeding on migrants) and this was a single bird and it looked like a Peregrine - as does an Eleanor's of course :) but I'm fairly convinced it was a Peregrine but I must remember to take my binos with me! I bought a small pair this year so they would be easy to carry and less likely to be left behind!

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The last picture above shows the Sanctuary of the Black Madonna from the seaward side.

Here it is from the landward side. :)

LRM_EXPORT_20170910_180419.jpg

Today was the hottest of the trip so far 34+°C and we weren't looking forward to the walk up the hill - but there is a bus! After spending just €1 for a return ticket we were swept up to the church in air-conditioned coolness. :)

There was the annual pilgrimage on Friday and today was Sunday. The church was busy!

LRM_EXPORT_20170910_180415.jpg

There was a service being held so we didn't go in but went instead to the real reason we were here - the ruins!

On the way we saw forest fires in the distance. The wind was extremely strong at times so I hope they were brought under control eventually.

LRM_EXPORT_20170910_180438.jpg

There are at least two in the picture above and there was a third off to one side. Later in the day we drove past a house in the country where they had a lit a fire by the edge of the road to burn rubbish. It was completely unattended and which suggests one plausible explanation of why these fires start. :rofl:

The ruins are not the most spectacular of their kind. Here a Greek/Roman temple I think.

LRM_EXPORT_20170910_180417.jpg

The site is Tyndaris, founded by the tyrant of Syracuse, Dionysius in 395 BC, after which thing get a bit hectic, taken by the Carthaginians, who held it only for tens years or so before being chucked out by the Romans. Eventually the Arabs came this way and occupied it to be expelled in their turn by the Normans - yes that lot who poked our* Harry's eye out with an arrow.

There is a theatre, originally Greek but modified by the Romans. The blue plastic seats are of more recent origin. :)

LRM_EXPORT_20170910_180425.jpg

And some proper Roman baths complete with mosaic floors. This is the Tepidarium where warm heat came from below the floor and through the walls - note clay pipes.

I would have preferred a Frigidarium today.

LRM_EXPORT_20170910_180431.jpg

The attached museum was small but worth a visit - this is a larger than life head of Augustus I believe. I suspect he wasn't so innocent and boy like in real life. :)

LRM_EXPORT_20170910_180435.jpg

* Harold's claim to the English throne was probably weaker than William's but we like to think of him "ours". :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Love your photos, and ... blue skies!!!
Not always blue here. It rained on the first afternoon and it looks like we are having about 24 hours of unsettled weather at the moment.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Weather seems unsettled over a lot of Europe at the moment. Floods in Livorno Tuscany apparently.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Weather seems unsettled over a lot of Europe at the moment. Floods in Livorno Tuscany apparently.
I blame those butterflies in the Amazon. If they would stop flapping their wings or breaking wind, or whatever it is they do which causes storms, all would fine. :)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Glancing in the mirror this morning I found inspiration for today - it was time to find another ruin. :)

So we headed west, where the views along the coast were almost as craggy as the view in the mirror.

LRM_EXPORT_20170911_201133.jpg

Our plan was to visit Cefalù. Which is a pretty looking town.

LRM_EXPORT_20170911_201134.jpg

And so it seems other people think so. We tried two attempts to get close to it, both attempts ending in three or four point turns to extract ourselves. Every conceivable possible parking space had a vehicle on it and the streets get very narrow as you approach the town.

The place is by all accounts worth visiting but forget getting close in a MH. We could have parked well outside it but it would have been a long walk and dark clouds were forming. Bikes or taxi would be best, or take the train, the line of which follows the coast.

So we went inland a little way to Caccamo, a hilltop town crowned by a Norman castle, or rather it was founded by the Normans but much of what can be seen today are 17th century extensions.

LRM_EXPORT_20170911_201130.jpg

According to our guide book the castle is open every day except Monday (today :() but we wandered up to see it anyway. All the signs we passed on the way up also confirmed it was closed. However, when we got there - it was open! In our surprise (get the excuse in early) we somehow got in without paying. I'm not sure how we did it but sauntering passed the ticket office looking like two people walking their dog probably did it.

The castle is worth a poke around. This is the ramp up to the entrance.

LRM_EXPORT_20170911_201115.jpg

Note the usual signs of alterations you find in old buildings in this arch.

LRM_EXPORT_20170911_201122.jpg

Mrs DBK taking her Facebook pictures. :)

LRM_EXPORT_20170911_201120.jpg

And dungeons (or so claimed to be) - some had drawings scratched into the remaining bits of plaster on the walls. Must have been pretty luxurious dungeons to have plastered walls. :) The chains are real metal though, but not I suspect original.

LRM_EXPORT_20170911_201124.jpg

If you haven't paid to enter, leave quietly. :)

The town below the castle had some interesting bits.

LRM_EXPORT_20170911_201119.jpg

We had parked just below the castle in what we assumed was a normal car park. But then we noticed there were electrical and water points dotted around it for MHs. Sadly they don't work, as the reviews on CamperContact (#15614) and our own tap twiddling confirmed. :(

After eating lunch in the late aire we descended back down through the numerous hairpin bends to the coast and headed towards Palermo. The Satnav found a supermarket but just too late to get off the main road in time. So I took the next turn off and let the Satnav guide us back through the streets to the supermarket.

A lesson was learned here - the traffic of Palermo takes no prisoners. So if you come this way do your shopping beforehand in a smaller town. :)

We are now at another ACSI site a little west of Palermo. A gale is blowing and large waves are breaking on the rocky shore.

All is well. :)

LRM_EXPORT_20170911_201057.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The aim today was to see some more ruins - but when we got there these ruins didn't seem very ruined. Indeed apart from the missing roof, it was more or less intact.

LRM_EXPORT_20170912_180308.jpg

And it would have had a roof originally, probably cedar with ceramic tiles.

Today's "ruin" is the 5th Century BC* Doric Greek temple at Segesta. It has done well to survive not having its stones pinched for two and a half thousand years. This is probably because it is a long way from any major towns.

Getting to it was a bit involved. Naturally we ignored the parking signs and drove directly towards the temple. Folk must do this a lot as they employ a bloke full time to tell drivers like me to turn around and drive back to the parking area and catch the shuttle bus. €7 for parking a "camper" but this includes the bus fare.

At the site you queue for an entrance ticket. We were unlucky and arrived just after a bus of tourists arrived but we are well chilled after three weeks and took the enforced wait in good humour.

The temple must be built of limestone (we saw huge limestone quarries later in the day) so the surface is quite eroded. And in need of support.

LRM_EXPORT_20170912_180303.jpg

LRM_EXPORT_20170912_180300.jpg

On a hill above the temple is an intact (not ruined :)) 3rd Century BC* Greek theatre. It is a steep walk on foot so we paid €1.50 for the shuttle bus.

LRM_EXPORT_20170912_174715.jpg

The theatre is a bit unusual apparently in facing north - but this does give a sea view as a backdrop. Plays are still performed here from time to time.

We missed the shuttle bus for the return so we walk back down the hill - which wasn't difficult and gave the best views of the temple. The first picture above was taken on our descent.

After lunch of a focaccia sandwich bought from the shop - tasty - we drove to Castellammare del Golfo, a pretty fishing port.

LRM_EXPORT_20170912_174718.jpg

The port itself is attractive and sees the arrival of tour buses. We had one pull up behind us when we parked and found it was full of Brits. Which as an aside, in the car park for Segesta we saw the only UK registered car we have seen for a couple of weeks.

LRM_EXPORT_20170912_180255.jpg

The port is attractive, Charlie swam in it, with traditional fishing boats amongst the yachts. Finding a parking space wasn't difficult but getting out was tight. I suggest finding a bus driver for advise how to escape if you have anything bigger than a PVC. :)

Tonight we are staying on a site on the Capo San Vito reached via a dead end road through some of the most barren country I have seen for while - think the Burren in Ireland but hotter and dryer. But there is a sand beach here so it is heaving. :)

LRM_EXPORT_20170912_180155.jpg

*BCE for the politically correct. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Forgot to add above, €6 pp entrance to the Segesta site, which is reasonable I think as it is an impressive place.

And Castellammare del Golfo has some really good looking fish restaurants from what we saw on our short visit. We are contemplating returning, even though it means back tracking. There is a sosta there (CC #7956) which isn't the best of its kind but it would do for one night. There is also a campsite but it is slightly outside the town on a busy road so walking into town would be fraught.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Up until a few years ago there were regular dawn performances in the Segusta theatre that were magical.

Are you avoiding Palermo? Some very interesting sites especially left by the Normans. William the Conquer's brother (Roger) headed south and took the whole of Sicily, his dynasty then took a lot of S Italy and ruled it for centuries becoming Kings of Naples. Still buildings from his time in very good condition including his palace in Palermo and an out of town retreat with a wonderous chapel that has spectacular mosaics that date from Roger's time.

The old town and markets are an experience too but I'd get out well before dark.

Secure parking in the aire shown on Campercontact within a short bus ride of city centre, you can also park (over night) at his chapel out of town whose name I can't immediately recall.

Dick

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Up until a few years ago there were regular dawn performances in the Segusta theatre that were magical.

Are you avoiding Palermo? Some very interesting sites especially left by the Normans. William the Conquer's brother (Roger) headed south and took the whole of Sicily, his dynasty then took a lot of S Italy and ruled it for centuries becoming Kings of Naples. Still buildings from his time in very good condition including his palace in Palermo and an out of town retreat with a wonderous chapel that has spectacular mosaics that date from Roger's time.

The old town and markets are an experience too but I'd get out well before dark.

Secure parking in the aire shown on Campercontact within a short bus ride of city centre, you can also park (over night) at his chapel out of town whose name I can't immediately recall.

Dick
Hmm, yes. :) We have indeed deliberately avoided Palermo. Not because of the traffic skirmish yesterday, more because we tend to avoid cities. This is partly because of Charlie and also a preference for more countryfied (?) surroundings.

And the history of Sicily is indeed rich. I still find it extraordinary the Normans came here - and they had come from Scandinavia originally of course. The scenery the Jumars have been enjoying was not enough to hold them. :)

But we probably should have found time to see the Palatine Chapel. :(

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
Loving your updates and the pictures. We spent a wonderful winter in Sicily and your pictures are a real trip down memory lane for me. Thank you. Enjoy San Vito lo Capo. It was blowing an absolute hoolie when we were there last!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back