LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
This is in Spain in our apartment, not our motorhome.:D2

So we have a 1.4m satellite dish, and were having a thunderstorm and we loose some of the channels, :rolleyes: and it's always the one your trying to watch. :LOL:
So got me thinking about internet tv, ;) but we rent it out in the summer months, and we don't want people saying the tv keeps breaking up or going off, at the moment we cannot control weather conditions with the dish. :whistle:
So I did a speed check and it's 29.3 mbps download and 17.1 mbps upload we have fibre is that good, and will we still have problems in a storm. :eek:
Anyone have this modern internet tv that folk keep going on about. :rolleyes: (y) Bob.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I reckon you'll need an unlimited Internet contract if you use it all the time.
We just started watching stuff on Amazon prime TV and our connection speed is right down there with pen and paper... 3 or 4mbps at best....but we seem to manage without freezing or pixelating.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yes we have unlimited John, so you think we would not have a problem, we will have to look into it more, at the moment with sat tv we have a humax box that records that we like but our renters record corri and emadale not only the week or two they stay for the 5 months we are not here. :eek: Bob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

rrusty

Free Member
Dec 4, 2009
Scotland
Funster No
MH
None sold sept 2019
Exp
I have got Dragonet 100mb unlimited fibre (reality 74mb ) only had it for a few weeks but no probs with Netflix and Amazon but not sure about getting Uk tv without paying a monthly rental. Any ideas

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We see people advertise all UK tv channels, but Janie has a box in the kitchen but only watches Netflix she can't hide our location on the box. :LOL:
The trouble I have is she watches the first half of something cooking dinner and I can hear it, then she comes in the living room and puts it on, :rolleyes: and I watch the rest of it. :LOL: Bob.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Get rid of the telly and tell them to enjoy the holiday... not stuck indoors watching Corrie ....:D2

Your speed will be ok but do you have a smart tv to watch the likes of Netflix and amazon...

Chances are if your sat has gone down it’s because lightning has hit the local internet mast...:LOL::ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yes we have unlimited John, so you think we would not have a problem, we will have to look into it more, at the moment with sat tv we have a humax box that records that we like but our renters record corri and emadale not only the week or two they stay for the 5 months we are not here. :eek: Bob
rusty makes a good point, you may not be able to get UK TV via the Internet without using a (bugger forgot what it's called, it hides your IP address and makes out your aren't where you are)
Usually a subscription thing but such as Amazon will think you are in the UK so you will get UK TV.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
NO Garry you have to look after the punters. :LOL:
Yes we have smart tv, no problem with Netflix, I know our European guest plug thing in to watch their channel's. :LOL: Bob.

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Yes VPN to hide it but can't work out how to do it with the box, could do it on a laptop or tablet.

Dec 16, 2017
Almuñécar, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low Profile - Globebus T7
Yes VPN to hide it but can't work out how to do it with the box, could do it on a laptop or tablet.
Just install it as an app. For example, go to Play Store, search on VPN. All the main players are in there (we use IPVanish in order to see uktv on tablets, phones, a minix set top box, as well as a laptop).

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just install it as an app. For example, go to Play Store, search on VPN. All the main players are in there (we use IPVanish in order to see uktv on tablets, phones, a minix set top box, as well as a laptop).
How do you set an app to a set top box?
There's no keypad to access the playstore

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Get rid of the telly and tell them to enjoy the holiday... not stuck indoors watching Corrie ....:D2

Your speed will be ok but do you have a smart tv to watch the likes of Netflix and amazon...

Chances are if your sat has gone down it’s because lightning has hit the local internet mast...:LOL::ROFLMAO:
Satellite goes down during heavy rain storms because of signal attenuation - try a wet cloth over the LNB for the same effect. Or it could be a lightning-afflicted internet mast :D:D.

Deleted User
@bobandjanie Bob, get one of these, use apps like showbox, Mobdro and TVCatchup, all free, don’t get sucked into a Magbox subscription by some ex pat ripping you off !

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/273453255018

What does it do?

I am in a similar situation as yourselves, in Portugal with the 60Gb Vodafone contract, currently download to iplayer and watch on the laptop,speeds are not the best here and streaming is a bit hit and miss.

We don't have a smart TV and we have never been able to get the laptop connected to the TV with an HDMI cable, laptop doesn't recognise it.

I have got a Sumvision Cyclone multimedia player adapter which is a few years old and I have forgotten how to use it, is it the same sort of thing?

Dec 28, 2015
lake district
Funster No
MH
low profile mh
Exp
Since 2015

So we have a 1.4m satellite dish, and were having a thunderstorm and we loose some of the channels, :rolleyes: and it's always the one your trying to watch. :LOL:
So got me thinking about internet tv, ;) but we rent it out in the summer months, and we don't want people saying the tv keeps breaking up or going off, at the moment we cannot control weather conditions with the dish. :whistle:
So I did a speed check and it's 29.3 mbps download and 17.1 mbps upload we have fibre is that good, and will we still have problems in a storm. :eek:
Anyone have this modern internet tv that folk keep going on about. :rolleyes: (y) Bob.
Where in spain are you? On the Costa del sol you can get Wi-fi and ip tv from avatel at approx 30 euros per month . Best thing is you only pay for calendar months you need . I can give more info if you want

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We have wifi line of sight 10mb down & 1up. Which in reality is around 5mb most of the time but at least the upload stays around 1mb.
Jackie watches tv on her lap top/tablet when she is here using a vpn. A paid one as ,so she says, the free ones aren't worth having.
You should be ok with fibre . Problem we have is that the signal comes from Lorca castle so in a storm/thunderstorm it isn't unusual for the signal to be lost.

I'm with smiffy(y)

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None

Most dishes in Spain will lose signals in heavy rain.
Last night my 1.8m dish (just up the road from you in Gandia!) lost all channels (very rare to lose all channels) for a few minutes, with the weaker BBC ITV C4 and Fives lost for about 15 minutes. So not much you can do, but luckily we dont have that much rain that often.

So you have a few options:
If you have a Sky+HD or Freesat box or a SMART TV, run a Smart DNS service to hide your Spanish IP address, and watch the missed programmes on "catch up"

Get an "android" box, and watch the channels from free streams - upside: the streams are free - downside: some quality can be poor, apps and links may not be always available, buffering and freezing at peak times since there is no onus on the stream "pirates" to upgrade their servers, and can be complex for "renters" to use.

Get an paid IPTV service, using the likes of a MAG box. These are paid private servers and are generally better quality and more reliable than the free option above. And less messing around and easy to use for renters.

All three of these options require good decent stable internet. Although you say you have fibre, i know in your area two fibre providers still have quite a few problems, especially at peak, high demand times (just need to look at some of the local FB pages!). They also have issues when it rains, as although your connection may be fibre, they use "wireless" to go to certain areas masts, which will be affected by bad weather,

If you want me to drop by and give you a demo, or explain things further, drop me a PM, and I shall see what I can do for you.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
What does it do?

Basically, turns any tv into a smart tv, and allows apps to run streaming free content. No VPN or anything. I have one installed in the MH and I too have the 60 GB Vodafone allowance, so that thethers to the box from my phone, and I’m able to watch anything and everything live or box sets etc. Been using it for years.

Camdoon

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 22, 2012
UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Matrix Supreme
Exp
You shouldn't need a VPN to watch UK TV in Europe these days. I use Opera in the UK (when not wanting to be here) which after connection I drop as there is no continuous checking.

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
You shouldn't need a VPN to watch UK TV in Europe these days. I use Opera in the UK (when not wanting to be here) which after connection I drop as there is no continuous checking.

Yes, you still need a VPN / DNS service to watch UK TV in Europe - as they all use ip address checking to seek your location and they block non UP IP addresses.

But for paid internet services, like Sky Go, new EU rules from May 2018, allow you "temporary" access to paid TV services in the EU. Sky Go gives you 35 days use in the EU before the device needs to be reregistered on a UK IP address.
But this is for paid services, and is not applicable to iPlayer, ITVHub, All4, Demand Five, which are free / non subscription services.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
TVTAP

OP
OP
bobandjanie

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We will speak with our neighbours about what they use and see what is best, we are lucky in being able to have our dish and Janie just pointed out that ;) Jon @Satandpcguy has a dish. :LOL:
So is it better the devil you know. :eek:
Thanks for all the comments it's given us something to think about. (y) Bob.

chrisinplymouth

Free Member
Aug 11, 2013
Plymouth UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact
Exp
Since 2015
If it helps, I use an amazon fire stick plugged into my avtex tv in the Moho. I connect this via a HUAWEI 4g mifi box using a uk vodaphone data sim. Works fine for iPlayer Netflix etc and doesn’t require vpn ( don’t know why assume it’s something to do with the uk sim)

Takes about 1 gig an hour to stream live tv and all runs on 12v.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
When I lived in Cyprus you could only get UK Channels with a huge dish, 4.2 metres, expensive, ugly and a danger if you had them mounted on a roof. Then broadband happened and friends have swapped to Smart TVs and get all uk freeview channels. No idea about a VPN, but in 5 years or so not a problem. I know one friend had hers all set up for her but I can ask any questions if that'd help.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back