TV recording question (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I can record from my TV in the van onto a USB memory stick.
In an effort to get more capacity to load some films I bought a usb 2/3 hard drive with 1 TB of memory.
The TV recognises it's there as a usb but won't record onto it for some reason ?
Any ideas why ?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Afraid it is the way they are some TV's will work some won't our Sony at home will work with a hard drive but not a USB stick. Problem with TV's is you can't upate the drivers or codecs.

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Figaro

Just a guess but USB sticks are usually Fat32 format. Your hardive may be NTSF. I have an Avtex TV which will play files I have put on my Fat32 formatted hard drives but not NTSF formatted hard drives. I don't record from the TV.

Can you contact the TV maker?

Doug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
As Doug says it could be as a result of the formatting of the hard disc. You may find it is formatted as exFAT.
Our Medion TV (Aldi) recognises both FAT32 and NTFS. Never tried it with exFAT.
Alternatively, it could be a restriction on the capacity of hard disc it recognises.
Ours recognises, at least, up to 2Tb.
When connected can you see \ play files copied onto to the hard drive from a pc?

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I`ve dug out an old USB2 plug in external hard drive that I`ve previously used to back up my pc and that works fine so I`ll use that for films and the new 1Tb as my backup.
The old one only has 120 Gb so not going to fit so many films (n)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I think the answer is to partition it. I'm surprised @Gellyneck hasn't mentioned this, he's clued up.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
If it reads the 160Gb disc it's probably as as Lenny says, a restriction of capacity capability. Partitioning the 1Tb drive (would recommend Macrorit Partition Expert Free - https://macrorit.com/products.html) into a number of smaller partitions may work but not guaranteed.
Full HD movies (including subtitles, etc) tend to be around 3.5 - 4.35Gb so you'd get c35-45 on your 160Gb disc.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
OK, this TV recording is driving me nuts now.

The van TV wouldn`t recognise or record to my new USB 2/3 1 Tb external hard drive so I tried my old USB 2 drive that has PC backup stuff on it. That worked fine.
So I transfered all my PC backup stuff to the new hard drive and cleared everything from the old drive, plugged it in to TV and ... nothing, won`t record to it now.
I read online and tried formatting drive to NTFS and exFAT and neither worked. I don`t really know what the difference is. There was mention of FAT32 but I didn`t get an option for that.
The only thing that it will record to now is a small flash drive. I made a short recording and copied this in the folder it had created onto the hard drive but still nothing.
Any suggestions what I might try ? and what I need to format the hard drive to please
Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back