Free Member
May 18, 2011
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
Since 2008
Hi, i thought i would ask all you expert motorhomes, and not so expert about your truma boilers, i have just been to Truma near Derby to have my broken boiler repaired, it is 4 years old so out of warranty, anyway the problem ws a pinhole in the stainless steel tank, they said it was caused by me pouring a bottle of milton in my water tank so diluting it about a hundred times and running it through my system for which they charged me £830, my question is has anyone else had a similar problem as i am disputing this charge and taking it up with trading standards as i believe it is a fault with the tank thank you for reading to the end

big map

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2009
Poole
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
How did they “know” you put a bottle of Milton in your tank?

Jul 6, 2018
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
burstner brevio t640
Exp
Since 2010
If you look at the Milton data sheet there is nothing in Milton that would react to cause a pin hole it’s <5% chlorine. I think they are looking for a reason to charge for a manufacturing fault

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Many years ago I was given a 1gallon tin of bleach by a driver who worked in a giant factory that made domestos it had only been filled that day and was a brand new tin ,when I came to put it in my car at five o clock the bottom of the tin had been eaten away and needless to say there was none left in the tin ,luckily it was on a quarry tiled floor .

Aug 18, 2017
SK10
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Not impressed with my Truma boiler. It gave up working on gas at 18 months old and the dealer can’t work out why.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
A quick google will produce loads of evidence of sodium hypochlorite attacking stainless steel. Although Milton is very dilute I would never use it in a water system with a steel tank. Why take the risk, those boilers are expensive.

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
The state clearly no chlorine products. - Page 6 from the link

Feb 23, 2013
St Austell
Funster No
MH
Vantage max
Exp
since 2014
We just got back from Vantage having are van serviced and they were tilling me that the other van in that day had to have a new heater due to using Milton did put a thread a few weeks ago

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We had a similar problem with the Truma in our previous motorhome, which was 7 years old at the time. We used to use Milton to disinfect it regularly. Never used it since.

Johns Cross diagnosed it and fixed it. Can't remember exactly how much it cost but it was a lot lower than £800.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
After travelling g around europe for past 7 weeks I've noticed white deposits in our kettle. As I'm from the Highlands we don't get this.
So I'm wondering as our van was a southern/Midlands van could the Truma boiler be the same ? If so could we use some Calgon in it ? Or best leave it?

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I think at 4 years old it would be difficult to prove it was a manufacturing fault to manufacture a stailess boiler that would last 4 years then perforate would be tricky!. It does however sound a bit ott in cost.

JohnJan

Free Member
Jun 26, 2019
England
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2011
I'm not sure if I'm missing something here as you say "it is 4 years old so out of warranty" so what exactly have trading standards got to do with it failing/being punctured/pin holed etc Surely that's just bad luck or wear and tear(coupled with Milton)?

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
After travelling g around europe for past 7 weeks I've noticed white deposits in our kettle. As I'm from the Highlands we don't get this.
So I'm wondering as our van was a southern/Midlands van could the Truma boiler be the same ? If so could we use some Calgon in it ? Or best leave it?
I have to regularly descale ours. Bristol water is terrible for limescale and so are parts of Europe especially Germany.
I use citric acid bought in bulk ( 1 kilo) online. I use it in camper kettle, home kettle and coffee machine. You can use white vinegar but that can leave a taste. As recommended on Truma website. I use 4 tablespoons of citric acid.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
If its in your kettle it will be in your boiler too. Use citric acid as recommended by the manufacturers, I don't know what's in Calgon but I wouldn't risk it.

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Many years ago I was given a 1gallon tin of bleach by a driver who worked in a giant factory that made domestos it had only been filled that day and was a brand new tin ,when I came to put it in my car at five o clock the bottom of the tin had been eaten away and needless to say there was none left in the tin ,luckily it was on a quarry tiled floor .
So not a pin hole then ?

I find it hard to believe that anything corrosive would only create a pin hole.

Most likely it would do like in your experience and burn the whole bottom out of it.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
The tanks are not stainless steel, real stainless 316 or 318 is not damaged by any domestic chemicals. The tanks are probably made of nickel steel (cheap) which is badly corroded by anything alkali. Nickel steel will go "rusty" with cement dust.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
The tanks are not stainless steel, real stainless 316 or 318 is not damaged by any domestic chemicals. The tanks are probably made of nickel steel (cheap) which is badly corroded by anything alkali. Nickel steel will go "rusty" with cement dust.

Interestingly their web site states:
  • Stainless steel container
Whether they are talking about the water cylinder or not is maybe arguable. :D :D

Jul 24, 2019
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8096df
Exp
Over 30yrs and still learning
I have just purchased some Puriclean for my system.
It contains Triclosene Sodium and they claim it is safe to use with stainless steel boilers.

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I have just purchased some Puriclean for my system.
It contains Triclosene Sodium and they claim it is safe to use with stainless steel boilers.
I hope you correct, it's what I use most Spring's

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Boilers of any form have always been vulnerable to additives that change the water quality. I've heard of many domestic boilers that have been damaged / destroyed simply from connecting heating pipework through a water softener system instead of directly filling from the mains supply.

How many people have had to replace their home boiler within only a few years? That is moderately robust as it get's fixed to a wall once, doesn't then get bounced around as a vehicle moves, and how much it weighs isn't normally a concern. The Truma is going to be built lightweight, and yet has to cope with vibrations. Remember too that stainless steel doesn't mean it is corrosionless steel. It will be more resistant, but can still deteriorate.

Most leaks start with a pinhole. Sheet products like metal are rolled out. Under a microscope you would inevitably see deviations in thickness. That meets specification, as the sheet is a certain minimum, but the first faults will inevitably occur from those bits that are slightly thinner, not thicker. That weakness could easily be exacerbated by a minor deposit on the inside of the boiler aggravating the corrosion at that point.

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
So the cocensus is only use white vinegar? Is white wine vinegar the same as white? I have never used white vinegar ever for anything.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
So the cocensus is only use white vinegar? Is white wine vinegar the same as white? I have never used white vinegar ever for anything.
We use food grade citric acid bought in powder form from Amazon. Truma recommend their own cleaner but say white vinegar or citric acid can be used instead.

We disinfect and descale every spring. Drain all tanks and heater first. Put water and citirc acid into fresh water tank until full. Leave for a couple of hours to work on the fresh water tank. Then pump through so that water is running from all taps including hot ones. Switch boiler on and leave the mix to work on pipe lines taps and boiler again for a couple of hours. Then switch on tap and let the water drain into the grey water tank until it is full. Drain the rest of the fresh water tank and the boiler and water lines using the drain facilities on them. Leave the mix in the grey tank for a couple of hours to help clean that and then drain.

Then fill the fresh water tank and flush out the system by running the taps and drains at least twice until you can no longer taste or smell the citric acid in the water coming out of the taps.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Bloody hell Peter what a palava! I’ve never cleaned mine, or drained it down, I can’t say I’ve noticed any problems either, I’m sure someone will be along to tell me what a nob I am though:unsure:and that will really upset me:giggle:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I don’t think the consensus was for vinegar. It can be used but I prefer citric acid as per my post above and that of others above.
White wine vinegar different from white vinegar. You need quite a lot so expensive to use white wine vinegar bought here, I buy white vinegar in 5ltr containers as have to use it all around the house here due to excessive scaling up.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Bloody hell Peter what a palava! I’ve never cleaned mine, or drained it down, I can’t say I’ve noticed any problems either, I’m sure someone will be along to tell me what a nob I am though:unsure:and that will really upset me:giggle:
Us oldies have got to find something to do with our time Simon!

There is a school of thought that says with chlorine already in tap water you don't need to disinfect. But we have hard water so it needs doing to get rid of the scale anyway.

Can't see you getting too upset by anything others say. If you do just remember

OMMMMMMMMM.............. OMMMMMMMMM

:LOL: :LOL:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back