Trip to Southern Spain (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2007
suffolk
Funster No
MH
Trigano tribute hi top
Exp
since August 2009
On February 10th 2015 I am planning a trip in my Tribby from Bilbao across Spain to Madrid and Granada to the South coast and I will be staying for a couple of months As I have not done this journey at this time of the year befor am I likely to have problems on the roads due to bad weather if so what's the best route to take Any useful advise will be received with thanks

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Neil, by the time you will be travelling most all the iffy weather will be done and dusted..
We often pick up a bit of snow and freezing fog in mid January but the Spanish authorities do a bang up job of keeping the roads pretty clear :)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The motorway to the south via Madrid is quite high up, geographically speaking, even though the surrounding landscape is flat. At regular intervals you see marked exits to large emergency parking areas for if it gets too snowy - a bit unusual in a country you normally associate with heat, but logical given the elevation.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
As posted roads are usually very good but I have a set of chains just in case,coming home last year early Feb we came across snow in the mountains but was cleared before it could settle.:party2:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
We go early January on the road down to Madrid it's usually clear we often see snowploughs at regular intervals but we have never come across any snow. Pete

OP
OP
Neil
Aug 18, 2007
suffolk
Funster No
MH
Trigano tribute hi top
Exp
since August 2009
Thanks very much for the information it looks as if I don't have much to worry about I am going on a Camping and Caravan Club rally for 2 months for the first time and would be interested in other Funsters experiences of them

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks very much for the information it looks as if I don't have much to worry about I am going on a Camping and Caravan Club rally for 2 months for the first time and would be interested in other Funsters experiences of them

Rallies usually good if you have decent stewards....BUSBY

OP
OP
Neil
Aug 18, 2007
suffolk
Funster No
MH
Trigano tribute hi top
Exp
since August 2009
I'm going with The Camping and Caravanning Club to Camping Castillo de Banos Costa Tropical Spain

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
From experience you have chosen the least popular of destinations for your first trip. We went to Banos 9 years ago and would not go back. Also last year many of the ralliers gave up on the rally and came up to La Manga as it was that bad.
Best of luck.

Mike

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Depends what you want. La Manga sounds like Hell on earth to me, but obviously it's what some people want. Maybe he would like a quieter rally first time round.

The Somosierra Pass north of Madrid, referred to above, sometimes gets snow. To get round Madrid use the M50 as it's further out and (relatively) less busy.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
Depends what you want. La Manga sounds like Hell on earth to me, but obviously it's what some people want. Maybe he would like a quieter rally first time round.

The Somosierra Pass north of Madrid, referred to above, sometimes gets snow. To get round Madrid use the M50 as it's further out and (relatively) less busy.

I was not referring to the rally being quiet just that many people were unhappy with the way it was run. The other downside is the location of the site which is no good unless you have some other means of transport. Bikes are no good and walking is not ideal.
For the last two years we have gone through the centre of Madrid on the M30 without too much bother.
I guess that we won't see you at La Manga then but as it gets full every year with over 200 units then that's not a problem.
Very sunny today.

Mike

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
We have done La Manga 4 times good rally , espesially when Arthur & Carol ran it, rally pitches ok, but the parcelas & shower block let the place down, this year first camp not on a rally at Los Gollardas it's near Mojacar a private site not been before so will give it a try, M30 through Madrid ok BUT stay in the second or third lanes saves getting caught out by the first lane going off and on, from Los Gollardos we go to Almafra then Bonterra Park both on C &CC Rallies. Pete

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Not interested in rallies. Prefer to do our own thing away from the crowds of Brits, Dutch & Germans encamped for weeks on end.

OK, try the M30, but we met a guy who had a horrible time driving through the centre motorways.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Not interested in rallies. Prefer to do our own thing away from the crowds of Brits, Dutch & Germans encamped for weeks on end.

OK, try the M30, but we met a guy who had a horrible time driving through the centre motorways.

Each to their own we prefer to meet up with friends we have met over the years and have a good time both on the rally and off, We have done the M30 4 times with no more trouble than the M25 or Spagetti junction but having said that you have to watch what you are doing anywhere. Pete

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
We have done the M30 4 times with no more trouble than the M25 or Spagetti junction. Pete
That's fine, but where we live a traffic jam is 3 cars nose to tail, so we're not accustomed to high traffic volumes, so when I read on a motoring website that the M50 is less likely to be congested we took that option.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
I see your point on less traffic, we have done the M50 early morning in the dark and rush hour , but the M30 only during the afternoon in the sunshine so I can't compare the two at different times, we will be using the M30 on the 6th Jan as we like to stop over at Aranjues which is nicely past Madrid for a good run the next day, we have stopped at Pico de lamil North of Madrid but then an early start on the M50 gets you in to rush hour traffic , I dont mind going through Madrid never had any probs, but like I said each to their own. Pete

Geejay

Free Member
Dec 25, 2011
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
Agreed. We've stopped at Aranjuez on the way back and Riaza on the way down and we'll be stopping there again for a few days soon. Pico de la Miel looks nice. Graham

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Agreed. We've stopped at Aranjuez on the way back and Riaza on the way down and we'll be stopping there again for a few days soon. Pico de la Miel looks nice. Graham

Hi Graham
Yes Pico's ok BUT lots of overhanging trees going in to the camping area and on the pitches, saw one guy cutting branches off so as not to damage his van. Pete

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
We came down the E5 from Burgos and continued down the E5 to Granada, circumnavigating Madrid at lunchtime on Monday 6th Jan in 2009 (I think). It was lunch time and the weather was "cool and grey/drizzle". I haven't got a clue which motorway we took :whistle: - we followed whatever the satnav (tomtom on pda) was displaying and the big motorway signs.

The traffic flowed freely and at a reasonable pace (50mph?): we just sat in our lane with cruise control operating much of the time. Apart from paying in a "foreign currency" from the wrong side of the vehicle, it was all very easy. (I do recall paying at one booth, crossing a junction and then paying at another booth about 90s later: 45c from memory.)

Nothing to worry about - Gordon

PS we avoided Madrid every other time, in order to see more of the country.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back