Trip to Amsterdam (1 Viewer)

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi people's thinking of a trip to Amsterdam in June, which is the best time, not bothered about bulb fields, and which port is best to go from I'm in Manchester and which is the best ferry company and what other things will I need, all ideas will be much appreciated

Mar 30, 2019
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
Exp
Since 2017
Watch out for the cycle lanes if you go near the station, mopeds are allowed to use them aswell.
It’s easier to cross the road.
Interesting place, don’t fall in the canals they don’t have railings.

OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Hi Off da grid , already been just want to go back but in the van , also done the sex museum ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
If your not bothered about the bulb fields of which Amsterdam doesnt really do tulips.
Harwich to hook of Holland.
Stay first night at or two at delft then head off to the GREEN fields of the bigger cities.

Oct 12, 2013
Filey
Funster No
MH
N and B Flair
Exp
Since 2014
You go m62 to Hull sail overnight to Europoort, and in Amsterdam for coffee. Stay at camping Zeeburg, a great experience. Enjoy ..

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
We went there, Sailed from Harwich to Hook of Holland went to Gouda first, used ACSI for a campsite with Fishing outside of the city then rode in every day taking the free ferry from the foot of the Adam Building,

The Adam building (and the Amsterdam sign in front of it is definitely worth a visit but beware it's card only even at the roof top bar

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Without doubt the easiest, most convenient port to use if you’re coming from Manchester is Hull (to Rotterdam). I use this route fairly regularly. The company is P & O ferries. The ships sail once per day, in the evening and you arrive the next morning. Reckon on a drive of over 2 hours to get from Rotterdam to Amsterdam.

Dont try and drive in Amsterdam as it’ll be bewildering if you haven’t done it before. Hundreds of bicycles bombing around and they are always in the right if you have an accident. Parking costs in the city are astronomical and never, ever try to avoid paying for parking as they have cars driving around reading car number plates and checking if you’ve paid. If you haven’t paid it’s going to cost you an arm and a leg. That being said Amsterdam is a beautiful city, so full of history and architectural gems and an absolute must see.
There are many other beautiful cities too and things to see.

Public transport in the Netherlands is very good and mostly bang on time.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Done Amsterdam a couple of times, both times we flew in and got the train to the city. I wouldn't want to take a car there let alone a MoHo. If you only want to see the city leave the MoHo behind and fly. If you want to see more of Holland then find a pitch outside and use the train to get to the city.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Been several times, though not for about 10 years, there are several sites with variable public transport links. My favourite is Zeeburg. Short walk to swimming pool where you can get a tram into the centre. Waterlooplein market well worth a visit, all sorts of things for sale and the flower market nearby.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
Nightmare driving in Amsterdam,
The hotel we stay in when we visit is right in the middle, has its own parking but the cyclists take no notice of road signs.
Was going down a one-way street and they were coming the other way, apparently if you knock one over it’s automatically your fault!!

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Always use Newcastle to IJmuiden, late-ish start and arrive 10.00 am refreshed. IJmuiden is stated as Amsterdam on some websites but it's the same port.

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Ijmuiden to Newcastle route is possible but if you’re in Manchester its not ideal. Hoek van Holland to Harwich, would be my last choice. Hull is the easiest route.
The driving in Amsterdam leaves a lot to be desired. Scooter riders and bicycles make it an awful experience even for me who has lived here for 20 odd years. A lot of cyclists don’t even bother with lights at night and if they’re wearing dark clothing, well, it’s an accident waiting to happen. If you’re just coming to Amsterdam alone then fly here, don’t drive, and do not even attempt to bring a motorhome.

OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Ijmuiden to Newcastle route is possible but if you’re in Manchester its not ideal. Hoek van Holland to Harwich, would be my last choice. Hull is the easiest route.
The driving in Amsterdam leaves a lot to be desired. Scooter riders and bicycles make it an awful experience even for me who has lived here for 20 odd years. A lot of cyclists don’t even bother with lights at night and if they’re wearing dark clothing, well, it’s an accident waiting to happen. If you’re just coming to Amsterdam alone then fly here, don’t drive, and do not even attempt to bring a motorhome.
Hi Bonnie, was going to get ferry across to Rotterdam and drive to camping Zeeburg or somewhere else and use local transport to get around do you think that is doable ??

OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Always use Newcastle to IJmuiden, late-ish start and arrive 10.00 am refreshed. IJmuiden is stated as Amsterdam on some websites but it's the same port.
Hi Geistguy, that's what I thought but the dates on DFDS seem to be blocked out ?? so thinking of Hull to Rotterdam instead but after some of the replies might reconsider !!

BonnieCat

Free Member
Dec 17, 2019
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
Hi Bonnie, was going to get ferry across to Rotterdam and drive to camping Zeeburg or somewhere else and use local transport to get around do you think that is doable ??
Yes that’s the best plan. Tram 26 will take you into the center from camping Zeeburg. It stops at Centraal Station, and from there you can catch any tram or bus. If you want to go further afield then trains from Centraal Station will take you to everywhere you want to go.
if I was going to Scotland I would definitely use the Ijmuiden ferry but I have family in Bolton (Lancs) and Wetherby in West Yorkshire so always use the Hull route. I wouldn’t consider anything else.
Hope this helps

OP
OP
P

POH

May 29, 2018
Funster No
MH
Pilote 740c
Exp
5 years
Yes that’s the best plan. Tram 26 will take you into the center from camping Zeeburg. It stops at Centraal Station, and from there you can catch any tram or bus. If you want to go further afield then trains from Centraal Station will take you to everywhere you want to go.
if I was going to Scotland I would definitely use the Ijmuiden ferry but I have family in Bolton (Lancs) and Wetherby in West Yorkshire so always use the Hull route. I wouldn’t consider anything else.
Hope this helps
so are you a red or white rose??? or just edging your bets

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
I like to visit Belgium on the way up so travel via Dover Calais, twice I have stayed at Edam 'cos public transport is second to none and goes right to the central train station.
Phil

Feb 11, 2017
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740FC
Exp
Hi Geistguy, that's what I thought but the dates on DFDS seem to be blocked out ?? so thinking of Hull to Rotterdam instead but after some of the replies might reconsider !!
I looked the other day at that route - availability seems to depend on size, and for an average size MH there seems to be none basically from late April through to the end of August. Change it to small MH and the situation improves, and for cars no problem.
Anyone know if that’s a) right and b) normal? (We’ve not used the Ijmuiden ferry for years.)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Newcastle to Ijmuden is very convenient on the Dutch side but not so this side if you are coming from Manchester so Hull Zeebrugge is handy, the P&O Hull ferry is also better stabilised that the the Ijmuden one Mrs funfair says it's a cork and won't go on it again, we stayed at the City camp which is very handy for the city with a free ferry every 15 minutes or so, http://www.amsterdamcitycamp.nl/?lang=en

Martin

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
We went in to Amsterdam with a MH never agane use trains trams or bus unless you like stress
bill

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Went last year in van stayed at the city camp its a basic aire but a short walk to free ferry. This drops you of at station had a great time. Drive in was no bother and easy to find.
Really enjoyed Holland will go again but not to Amsterdam unless its with the lads ?

Jan 27, 2018
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
Living in Aberdeenshire, Newcastle is our closest port but I only use this when on my motorbike, in the motorhome we drive down to Harwich for the morning sailing. This is so our dog can stay in the motorhome for the 6 hour ferry trip. Never had a problem with either.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back