Trims Combi D6E or D4E (1 Viewer)

Jun 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
na
We’re looking to install a Truma Combi diesel but can’t find anything that really helps you decide which size you need (D6E vs D4E). We have a Fiat Ducato L4H2 and from what I understand it’s important to get the right size. I’ve read that diesel heater don’t like to be run low as there is a build up of soot.
We will be spending time in zero to -15 for part of the year at altitudes around 1500 - 200 metres.
Any advise on deciding between them would be well received.

Thanks

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
at -15 C' i would be looking at the 6 as i assume that means 6kw output as oppsoed to 4Kw on the other. hope then van is well isulated and draft proofed ;)

ps: i have no knowledge of Doesel heaters but plenty of experience of -15'C and well below.

OP
OP
mikeje99
Jun 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
na
at -15 C' i would be looking at the 6 as i assume that means 6kw output as oppsoed to 4Kw on the other. hope then van is well isulated and draft proofed ;)

ps: i have no knowledge of Doesel heaters but plenty of experience of -15'C and well below.
It will be. We’re making sure of that. Any tips on where to focus on insulation and draft proofing. We’re having a PVC.

May 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Carthago
We had 6DE in a 6 metre Mercedes Sprinter PVC. Worked very well, heated up the space pretty quickly and used it quite a few times around 0 to -5 deg. You will need the altitude kit over about 1500m, we didn't have it on ours and the heater really struggled to get going above that height. I think the new Truma very may have this as standard though.

I used to run it at max temp for about 30 mins once a month to de-soot it.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Any tips on where to focus on insulation and draft proofing
Apart from good quality overall insulation check the chassis ventilation between cab and van rear, there are vents in the chassis that pass air into the the door pillars. You can get blanking covers for them.

I’m assuming it’s a Ducato.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 29, 2021
Kotka, Finland
Funster No
MH
Hymer Van
We had a factory build Hymer PVC with a 4kw Truma (gas, but shouldn't matter) and I'd say the comfortable limit was around -13 celcius if it wasn't that windy. A true vanlifer will have the time of his/her life at least up to -20 with the 4kw with proper insulation, but my wife isn't a true vanlifer 🙃

And about diesel heaters collecting soot at low power settings. At least Webasto heaters 'lean' the burn process every once in a while (might have been as often as 10 minutes) to clean the burner, most likely other known brands do that too so I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. At least not overheating the van every night.

OP
OP
mikeje99
Jun 1, 2022
Funster No
MH
na
Thanks everyone for your responses. Sounds like the D6E is the way to go. Will do some final investigation between Truma vs Webasto vs Eberspacher before making final decision.

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
Stay away from the Truma “next generation” version it’s not as good as the original older model. The new version is noisy, liable to soot up, keeps throwing mysterious error codes which eventually cause it to lock out (then only a service centre can get it started) and dribbles condensation down the side of you van when it’s very cold.

I had a next generation diesel Combi 6E for 6 months before I gave up and replaced it with the old version. It’s slower to heat water on electric but apart from that much quieter and no silly error codes.

With the old model you need the altitude kit it an additional item.

Just took our van to north Norway everything worked well at -15! My van has an auxiliary diesel heater which was my backup strategy if the Truma failed- did not need it but it was relaxing knowing I had a second source of heat just in case!

May 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
sprinter self build
I have had nothing but issues with my D6E Truma, and nobody will touch it as it is a self build.
I have been having a 122 error code which started when using diesel, but now comes up if I try to use electric, either from battery or from teh mains. ive been months with no heating and only got hot water once last week when plugged in.

if anyone has any tips that would be great, or anyone that maybe able to help.

thanks

May 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
sprinter self build
I have had nothing but issues with my D6E Truma, and nobody will touch it as it is a self build.
I have been having a 122 error code which started when using diesel, but now comes up if I try to use electric, either from battery or from teh mains. ive been months with no heating and only got hot water once last week when plugged in.

thanks
sorry the hot water was actually when I was off the battery.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004

thanks
Have you contacted Truma Uk at Derby and spoken to one of their engineers? They also do installs and fixes and they support the dealerships nationwide. Have found them to be v helpful.

May 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
sprinter self build
Have you contacted Truma Uk at Derby and spoken to one of their engineers? They also do installs and fixes and they support the dealerships nationwide. Have found them to be v helpful.
I contacted Truma via their website 01283 587960 is this the one? they tried to be helpful, but basically told me to contact one of the TRUMA dealers listed on their website. I have tried all within a 60 ish mile radius.

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
I contacted Truma via their website 01283 587960 is this the one? they tried to be helpful, but basically told me to contact one of the TRUMA dealers listed on their website. I have tried all within a 60 ish mile radius.
Ask to speak to Lawrie in the workshop, he runs the workshop etc and very helpful guy, you need to get past admin first!!

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life

thanks
This is what the Truma service database has to say about error 122.

It recommends the user does the following (it’s not very clear English!):

“ Ensure 12 V power supply under load at appliance input / Check for AC voltage components (disconnect power supply unit and solar system from on-board power supply)“

“Fill tank with fuel and then fill the fuel line (see operating instructions / initial start-up)”

“Make sure that the altitude kit is used for heating mode at altitudes above 1500 m”

“If using the altitude kit, make sure that the correct metering pump is selected”

“With an installed altitude kit: carry out a function check with an alternative metering pump”

And the technicians actions are:

“Check that metering pump is installed according to installation instructions”

And then the usual recommendations to use the diagnostic unit to check and clear error codes.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you want me to look up any other codes for you.

If you get 20 error codes the boiler will lock you out and only a diagnostic unit with Truma service software will be able to reset the count and get the boiler going. I imagine this is what has happened you got the error from a problem with the diesel 20 times and then if has locked you out preventing you from using it on electric as well. It’s a right pain this feature!

Matthew

Last edited:
May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
Hmm, there's me thinking buy a Truma diagnostic tool to reset, quick Google and they are £600 - £700 or more! Maybe not.

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
Yes that is exactly what I thought very expensive! But it’s so silly that the Truma boiler locks you out of electrical heating because of a problem with diesel (or visa versa)!

May 2, 2024
Funster No
MH
sprinter self build

“ Ensure 12 V power supply under load at appliance input / Check for AC voltage components (disconnect power supply unit and solar system from on-board power supply)“

“Fill tank with fuel and then fill the fuel line (see operating instructions / initial start-up)”

“Make sure that the altitude kit is used for heating mode at altitudes above 1500 m”

“If using the altitude kit, make sure that the correct metering pump is selected”

“With an installed altitude kit: carry out a function check with an alternative metering pump”

And then the usual recommendations to use the diagnostic unit to check and clear error codes.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you want me to look up any other codes for you.

If you get 20 error codes the boiler will lock you out and only a diagnostic unit with Truma service software will be able to reset the count and get the boiler going. I imagine this is what has happened you got the error from a problem with the diesel 20 times and then if has locked you out preventing you from using it on electric as well. It’s a right pain this feature!

Matthew

Matthew
Thank you Mathew,

Firstly thank you all for your help! and sorry for my late response I couldn't work out how to reply and then realised I need to sign up.

This information about the boiler locking out is very interesting, as it did work, like I say, one time on electric. after it had originally stopped and it has im sure been more than 20 times that it hasn't worked on diesel now. SO this does sound like it matches your description and could well be this. I have tried all combinations now for getting it going and they all go straight to the 122 code. there is a little click on tech boiler (maybe a relay) and then it goes straight to the 122 error code. either on diesel, electric, combined or mains. I have disconnected the 12 v and 230v supplies for a long period and it doesn't seem to reset the boiler fully , as the code still comes up very quickly. I have checked the led flashing code and it is for sure the 122 code.

It would appear that the lock out is most likely due to 20 attempts, so I will need to get this cleared.

re the original issue, when it first happened, the pump was knocking (as usual) even though the boiler wouldn't start, and had the 122 code. At the time I thought it was the pump so I replaced the pump (I did not prime the pump or the line after fitting it). After fitting the pump, the boiler would still try to start, for several minutes, all the fans sounded like they were starting and the pump sounded like it was starting too. a short time after this I would here the fans for several minutes still, but no pump (I think). Now when I Strat it a few seconds later I hear a click (like a relay), and no fans it just goes straight to the 122 code. I have a clear diesel line so can see that there is no diesel in the line at the boiler.

oh, I have also checked the 12v supply at the boiler and it reads 16V. Under load? this is hard as it doesn't change when I start the boiler, as all I hear form the boiler now is a click and then it stops, an shows the 122 code.

I have checked the 240 supply at the socket where it is plugged in, and also checked the fuse in its plug.

Im thinking next moves to be.

1 - clear codes with Diagnostic machine - does anyone know anyone that would do this have have tried so many of the numbers on the Truma website but none of them will go near a self build.

2 - purge the diesel line to the boiler - im guessing I will need to provide a direct feed from the battery to pump to do this?

3 - as everything was working fine before I am assuming the pump was installed correctly - and the tank is at least half full.

I have no altitude kit and live in London so no kit needed for testing.

thank you all for all your help.

Sean

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back