Travelling with Dawg (1 Viewer)

Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
What do people do with their dog when travelling, how do you contain them? Considered teaching mine to drive but he's too young at the moment.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
car harness and fastened to a seat belt

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Mine's clipped to his own additional seat belt mounting but lays on the floor at the base of my seat at the bottom of the slope. Never moves until you stop & engine goes off.

OP
OP
simbadog
Sep 12, 2012
Wengen
Funster No
MH
A/S Broadway EL 2021
Exp
Since 2010
I don't have any spare travelling seats, so clipped to belts is not an option! :rollingeyes:

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Our sleep in her bed, on the side seat behind passenger seat.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
What do people do with their dog when travelling, how do you contain them? Considered teaching mine to drive but he's too young at the moment.
You teach it sit serenely contemplating the beauty of sausages while travelling with utter peace of mind and tranquility of spirit. If you don't believe me just look to the left.

Nov 28, 2018
Edzell Scotland.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
I have 2 Jack Russell's and don,t have seat belts in the back, I lifted the seat in the Habitation area and screwed down a Horse tie ring ( stole from my Wife ) like the one pictured , I screwed it to the corner of my Cabinet which holds my Water tank which is nice and strong and then attached 2 Dog leads, The Dogs still have movement but cant fall of the seat and are not going anywhere if I have to stop quickly. They are attached to the lead via a harness and not there collar for obvious reasons not to choke them in case of sudden breaking, It makes us feel better that they are safe. But remember they are small Dogs.
tie ring.gif

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Dillon is attached by a lead to one of the large handles inside the door on the end of one of the 'sofa' seats
The lead allows him to roam around the van but is just not long enough to get up on Maureen or indeed me !
Being a very social dog he does like to feel he is with us.. There is a flat cushion type bed on the floor between the front seats which he usually settles on

May 4, 2015
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
since 2000
We also use a seatbelt clip and Casper wears a harness. He lays on the floor, but nowadays stands up and talks each time we slow down. He thinks he is chief navigator. We have had to shorten his lead, as his nose could knock the MH out of gear.

Jan 22, 2012
Wigan
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun TI 2012
Exp
Sometimes on a body harness attached to seatbelt. But most of the time body harness attached to back of passenger seat with him sitting in his bed. That way in the unlikely event of vehicle ending upside down he is close to driver and passenger. Our dog is now 3 years of age but in the first two years we always took a cage with us. When they are young and excitable they sometimes need to be confined. He actually loved his cage and would cry to go in it at night to sleep. I would always recommend taking a metal cage with you if you have a young dog. We took the table out of our motorhome so could accommodate the cage.

Rosemary1

Free Member
Jan 23, 2016
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
1 year
:DWe have two little dogs. They wear harnesses and are attached to a seal belt via long straps which allow them to sleep in their bed on the floor between passenger and drivers seat close enough that I can put my hand out and touch them

Probably got too much length in case of an accident but if strapped tightly against the seatbelt sitting on the seat they wouldn’t settle and kept trying to jump off. The movement is only about 3 feet so if stopped very suddenly they couldn’t go flying into the driving area or down the bottom of the motorhome.

Don’t have to worry about them been able to wander about or try to jump out while getting fuel etc

Couldn’t have the wandering free as one would sleep quietly in his bed but “naughty” one would have a field day trying to help drive:D

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Our two have harnesses attached to seat belt fastenings. Spice sleeps all the time we are moving but Meg likes to look out of the window.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... I'm definitely hiding with the other lot ....! :mask:

Stretto Boy

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2016
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
We use a travel harness attached to a seatbelt in the car. This is not possible in the motorhome, as we only have two travel seats. Our dog travels on her bed, inside a folding travel crate. She absolutely loves it and usually sleeps throughout the journey.

Apr 24, 2012
Worcester
Funster No
MH
RMB Concorde
Exp
Since 2010
friends who lived in Spain were fined for not having their little dog "suitably" restrained while travelling in their car
They decided theyd been unlucky encountering that particular police man
but since then i usually at least put the harness on the dog ....
theres some eu regulation i think due for enforcement in Uk soon re restraining animals
quick Search suggests Rule 57 of Highway code..

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
Pre motorhome days we travelled a few times down to Spain in a Vito Traveliner which we had fitted out with two kennels on a raised platform above the wheel arches and a further two dog beds in the space where the removed rear row of seats normally locked in. The Traveliner has a double passenger bench alongside the drivers seat thus creating a solid 'barrier' between us and the dogs about 4 ft high with a 3" vertical 'gap' between the driver & passenger seats. This allowed us to rotate the 3 GSD's & 1 labrador between the kennels & beds.
We were driving down a dual carriageway towards Madrid when we were overtaken by two Guardia Civil Trafico motor cycles and a short distance further on we were waved into the side of the road.
Smart click of the heels and salute by Senor Trafico and documents were produced in order. Trafico Numero Dos goes round to the back of the Vito and presses his nose against the back (smoked) window to which Bo, our GSD, decides he is too near and sparks off. The other dogs join in and Trafico almost falls on his derriere.

Further inspections of the interior of the Vito and it is decided that all the dogs should be restrained and the ticket book is produced. My Spanish grovel routine is introduced and we manage to talk him out of the ticket whist allowing Ellie the lab to lick him all over!

Peace restored I tried to explain that the backs of the seats were looked on as a suitable 'restraint' in England. " Ah but Senor, you are not in England now".
Much stroking of dogs later they and us were on our different ways without any further ado. Probably lucky that Senor Trafico One was a dog lover!

All the dogs gone now so we don't have the situation in the MH.

P1010061.JPG

Image shows (l-r) Sky, Elly, Tiff & Bo waiting to go on a trip out from the villa we used to rent in Spain
"Are we going yet?" or " What are we waiting for NOW"?

JFD

Apr 9, 2015
Crawley Down, West Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
Pilote Aventura G730
Exp
since 2014!
We used to have two little Jack Russels, whom we used to harness to the passenger seat belt, and they were safe(ish), and miserable. We decided that, in the event of an accident, they would probably be left hanging, possibly injured.

We decided to pad out the floor and back of the passenger seat with their sleeping tunnels for one, on the assumption that an accident would likely primarily involve frontal deceleration. The other travelled on the passenger’s lap, in a harness attached to their seat belt - there is no passenger airbag in Eric.

Now we have only one, she travels on the passenger’s lap, still harnessed, and linked to the passenger seat belt, watching the world go by!

It’s a matter of balancing risk against ongoing discomfort for the goggles, IMHO.

skylinersi

Free Member
Nov 9, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
We've got four seat-belted seats and he travels in his car harness attached to one of the seatbelt points.

same here, we drop the table to the seat height and he has his large bed over the lot, then he is
20170811_173148.jpg

anchored via his harness (that we call his car pants lmao!) to one of the seat belts, he has tried driving, but now just settles for navigating......besides which he has shocking road rage

Jul 24, 2014
North cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Symbol Auto
Exp
since 2010
Someone was given a fine of £50. For having a dog loose travelling on the passenger seat! My two are attached to the legs of the slide out single bed from their harness, when I had the bigger MH I had a cage on the floor for them, a friend of mine has hers on a bed in the loo/washroom, ok if it gets caught short.:sneaky:

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
same here, we drop the table to the seat height and he has his large bed over the lot, then he is View attachment 276592
anchored via his harness (that we call his car pants lmao!) to one of the seat belts, he has tried driving, but now just settles for navigating......besides which he has shocking road rage
Jeeso check out the size of that bugger

That's no a dug it's a pony

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back