Trailer vin (1 Viewer)

Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
Does anyone know if I need to have a vin plate or register a trailer to tow a motorcycle abroad (France and Spain mainly) from what I can decifer on .gov it looks to be over 3500kg only. I have been offered an older trailer with no plate, however I see you can get plates made up?

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I think it depends on the age. Newish ones need a Certificate of Conformity. Older ones under 3500 don't need a plate or certificate.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I bought a trailer a couple of years ago from a Polish seller.
It came with a cert of conformity for the UK market..... The fog light is on the wrong side!
If its a UK built trailer the CoC will be good, if its foreign built its probably not worth the paper it's written on.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
I bought a trailer a couple of years ago from a Polish seller.
It came with a cert of conformity for the UK market..... The fog light is on the wrong side!
If its a UK built trailer the CoC will be good, if its foreign built its probably not worth the paper it's written on.
The CoC will be correct it's the fact it won't pass UK regulations that's the concern.
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
csd4t
Aug 4, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Since 2003
So the question is, for this trailer manufactured prior to 2010 and around 400kg max, do I have to have a plate and/or a CoC In order to tow it abroad? If we’re ever allowed over the borders again!!

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
I'm thinking that a foreign made trailer even with it's CoC won't be compliant with UK standard so no insurance valid in the UK.
The trailer with it's CoC maybe ok for EU standards and it's insured in the EU. But I'm guessing the OP is UK national and therefore the vehicle insurance will need to be UK insurance.
Have I got this right?
Phil

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
So the question is, for this trailer manufactured prior to 2010 and around 400kg max, do I have to have a plate and/or a CoC In order to tow it abroad? If we’re ever allowed over the borders again!!
I towed a 350kg trailer all over Europe with no issues. It was about 25 years old. As long as it looks ok and all the lights work you should be good to go.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I'm thinking that a foreign made trailer even with it's CoC won't be compliant with UK standard so no insurance valid in the UK.
The trailer with it's CoC maybe ok for EU standards and it's insured in the EU. But I'm guessing the OP is UK national and therefore the vehicle insurance will need to be UK insurance.
Have I got this right?
Phil

A trailer displaying the Registration No. of the motor vehicle which is a UK Vehicle, being driven by a UK National does not need Insurance as a separate entity. (Assuming the Insurance of the motor vehicle doing the towing is covered by the Insurance Co. and they have been told that the Motor vehicle has a tow bar and may be used for such purpose.)

As soon as the trailer is attached to the motor vehicle, it is automatically insured courtesy of the towing vehicle.

It is of no significance as to where the trailer was manufactured.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
A trailer displaying the Registration No. of the motor vehicle which is a UK Vehicle, being driven by a UK National does not need Insurance as a separate entity. (Assuming the Insurance of the motor vehicle doing the towing is covered by the Insurance Co. and they have been told that the Motor vehicle has a tow bar and may be used for such purpose.)

As soon as the trailer is attached to the motor vehicle, it is automatically insured courtesy of the towing vehicle.

I believe the trailer must be to UK specs. as I thought the OP said the lights were on the "wrong" side?

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000

In respect of a trailer of less than 750kg total mass, France is the same as the UK where the trailer takes the reg of the towing vehicle and is protected by that vehicle's insurance. I am aware that other countries require all trailers to have their own reg. With regards to the o.p., csd4t, there is an international requirement to follow the legalities of the home country, the exception being A-frames. There!!!!! I have brought up the subject for the popcorn to come out.

J

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The Spanish are unbelievably strict on some things, ? towbars for instance, when we inquired about one for our van, first thing was email all your details, they then told us our nearest approved fitter, and delivered it to their premises, where he fits it, you then go to the itv (mot) station, and they inspect it and add it to the vehicle log book. ?
Trailers under 750kg do not need an itv or it's own registration document, but I would think the first policeman that looked at your trailer would expect to see a vin plate with some weight figures on it, without that he might consider it stolen over loaded, and being Spain probably impound it until you have proof it's yours. ? ? Bob.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
As far as I’m aware so long as you are legal in the country of registration then you can use it abroad.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back