Traction battery maintenance question? (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Got my current Trojan T105 battery's from Tayna.
Great service, they swapped a dodgy 105 for me no questions asked .
I can highly recommend Trojans had them on the Mizar to cope with the diesel heating fan.
I once left the heating on after a weekend away :rolleyes: returned to the storage facility the following Friday to a nice warm van o_O
The battery's held up all week though i will add though, we also have an 85w panel but not much use in the winter months.

As for venting i have always kept them in a sealed box vented through the floor.
you can see the clear plastic vent tubes in the bottom RHS

IMG_4183.JPG
IMG_4182.JPG

The box was made from one of those.... Realy useful boxes from staples. I put a rubber strip round the top and made a proper lid to create a seal.
Although i love these battery's i think i may go down the Deep Cycle AGM route for the conversion i am doing.....Any recommendations ??
I see Trojan have a new one coming out but don't think they are in the uk yet www.trojanbattery.com/reliantagm/

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i was in the same situation a while back trying to decide which batteries what swayed me was the amount of commercial companies using trojans for golf carts ,batteries must be a large expense for these companies and im sure
they have done the mathematics regarding cost not fool proof i know but so far about 20 months ive had no problems but then again im not full time

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
venting a battery space needs air flow through not at low level as hydrogen rises different if the batteries have tube fixed to them as the pressure expells fumes down the tubes in an open but sealed space the hydrogen would build up above the batteries im no expert but its what ive understood from a little research

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
venting a battery space needs air flow through not at low level as hydrogen rises different if the batteries have tube fixed to them as the pressure expells fumes down the tubes in an open but sealed space the hydrogen would build up above the batteries im no expert but its what ive understood from a little research

Think we have been here before as far as hydrogen venting goes....

www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/hydrogen-venting.96909/#post-1188609

Ralph (y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Thanks but not touching Gel batteries. Don't mind AGM but Gel are not good for me. Thanks tho.

You have got me interested now, what don't you like about them.

I am pretty sure our EXIDES are original on the van from new so now 9 years old.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Gel batteries have a number of disadvantages. They cannot sustain high charge rates, They cannot sustain high discharge rates, they are more sensitive to charging damage than flooded or AGM. They are also more heat sensitive. Basically they are delicate little darlings with a lower life span. The only time I would use one is if there was a risk of them being tipped up.

My preferred battery type is VRLA AGM. But finding high quality ones appears to be getting harder not easier.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I bought my Deep Cycle batteries from batterymegastore as well great price great service.
The moron that delivered them driving for DPD had them upside down in the van despite yellow this way up stickers all over them. Refused delivery despite the threats from the driver (moron) and phoned batterymegastore who immediately despatched another set of batteries.
Good company highly recommend them.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@funflair Because I fulltime and put my batteries to heavy use I do need the best. I also charge my battery bank up using a 50Amp charger to minimise the amount of time I run my generator for in emergencies.

You are obviously very gentle with your batteries to make them last 9 years (y) I spend on average at least 9 months a year off hookup so give mine a good pasting.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
@funflair Because I fulltime and put my batteries to heavy use I do need the best. I also charge my battery bank up using a 50Amp charger to minimise the amount of time I run my generator for in emergencies.

You are obviously very gentle with your batteries to make them last 9 years (y) I spend on average at least 9 months a year off hookup so give mine a good pasting.

I accept we don't live in the van, but it spends more than 6 months without hook up and just 320 watt of solar to charge, the batteries are 2x80ah and run 2kw inverter powering microwave and coffee machine and of course hair dryer. I accept that they don't like being charged as quickly as flooded lead acid but these don't seem to mind the discharge rate.

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
Hi
try these companies for info they supply our company with traction and as we call them monbloc batteries

GNB, manbat (powercell), enersys or hoppecke all have websites they are also manufacturers

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I am thinking about getting 4 of these to give me 500AH again.
Sorry if this has been pointed out, cant go through every post.

4 x 125ah wont give you 500ah.

You need to wire two batteries in series to get 12v then do the same with the other two.

Series doubles voltage but ah remains the same.

The wire each pair in parallel to double the ah.....2 x 125ah = 250ah.

You need 8 batteries to get 500ah.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I don't have an inverter. Everything I use works off 12V or only on hookup. Might have to get a small one for my leccy toothrush this year as I intend to spend a lot of time wilding.
My leccy toothbrush lasts about 6 weeks / charge.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
My leccy toothbrush lasts about 6 weeks / charge.
Which is great for the first 6 weeks you are off hookup. How would you manage for the next 32 weeks without hookup? :p

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
To be fair, my situation has changed and I have to spend most of my time on sites now due to work so that inverter I got for my toothbrush charger hasn't been used since I bought it..

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back