Traction battery instead of Leisure (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
sorry, wrong forum.

i forgot euroboxs can manage on a handfull of AA duracells. :winky: :roflmto:

i was thinking about fulltime RVers....you wont find many longterm off grid.

jb0371old

Free Member
Jul 8, 2011
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
1 year
I have 2 of these reccomended by a fork truck service enineer

Link Removed

Cant remember the last time we were on hookup and we use our van all year round.

From what I remember they were only about £30 ish more than a supposedly expensive leiusre battery.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I'm surprised at Sterling's attitude to batteries. They seem to provide a very cursory review that omits some important facts and plays more to a comedy audience.

I would have thought useful advise is more like, maintenance free batteries don't emit gas and, therefore, won't initiate rust. Their contents can't be spilt so there is less personal danger. But most importantly they are not likely to cause an explosion. Slightly more important than being able to "eat your dinner under one".

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
To be fair, Sterling manufacture kit primarily for boats.

If your boat decelerates or rolls enough to spill acid from batteries, the batteries are the least of your problems!!!!::bigsmile:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we replaced failing 3 year old leisure batteris a year ago with 6 v trojans and so far so good
however if you have the large capacity truck battery and it doesnt owe you a fortune id use it,worst thing that can happen is it will fail and your back to the same point
also it will depend how reliant you are on your batteries if you wild camp in the alps every winter then maybe its a bigger gamble if your only of grid for the odd rally or show its not going to be catastrophic if it fails
how good your charging systems are is also going to affected its life span
im really trying to say is if you've got it use

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
I have 2 of these reccomended by a fork truck service enineer

Link Removed

Cant remember the last time we were on hookup and we use our van all year round.

From what I remember they were only about £30 ish more than a supposedly expensive leiusre battery.

these would have been my second choice after trojans some one here reccomended them to me

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
To be fair, Sterling manufacture kit primarily for boats.

If your boat decelerates or rolls enough to spill acid from batteries, the batteries are the least of your problems!!!!::bigsmile:

They deal with advanced mobile power systems for all sorts of transport:thumb:

I'm sure Sterling would agree.:winky:

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
most fulltimers will be on hookup indefinately so their batteries will last forever.....until they do go off grid.

on hookup your batteries are just there as a reserve supply if you exceed your chargers output....then you draw any excess power requirements from the batteries....ie: 15 amp charger....20 amp current draw....5 amps from battery and 15 amps from charger until excess load is removed then charger recharges batteries as well as providing power.

I can't remember the last time we were on hook-up. That's why we've got solar panels... :Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back