Toyota hiace campers (1 Viewer)

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
My dad advises me that toyota hiace vans were indestructable! Anyone have any experience of one of these? First time buyer...for a solo female traveler. Looking for reliability and build quality above all else.
https://www..co.uk/classified/advert/201809240822343?advertising-location=at_motorhomes&sort=datedesc&make=TOYOTA&transmission=Automatic&price-from=500&page=3

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Toyota may be indestructable... But your link is definetaly broken. :LOL:
There's something missing between www and co.uk but it may have been edited by the forum software.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bennyyorkie

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Toyota may be indestructable... But your link is definetaly broken. :LOL:
There's something missing between www and co.uk but it may have been edited by the forum software.
ah ok. Its a
Toyota HI-ACE TOURER 1995 gl 2 berth 2.8 litre, japanese import

Upvote 0

Deleted User
My daughter has one, 1998 Japanese import, with pop top, better for getting under barriers than high top versions.

Had it 2 years now no major problems, not great on fuel economy and a bit of a chugger.

If a recent import the underside should be ok but if it has been in the UK for a while make sure that there is no rust underneath, check previous MOT history.

Other drawbacks:

No room for even the smallest porta potty due to badly positioned electric box but this is probably down to UK converter, the main conversion was originally Japanese but they do not have a national standard mains voltage in Japan so a new system was needed for UK mains.

Only room for small camping gaz bottle which will be expensive if using off site much, hers has diesel heating so does not use much gas.

Upvote 0
Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Dont Toyota Hiace vans suffer from severe rust issues? Spares will also be dearer than on a transit or similar.

Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
I used to run a fleet of service engineer vans and our van of choice was Toyota Hiace. Unbelievable reliability and mileage possibilities. Not exactly fast vehicles nor the largest load space but if you look after it, it will look after you. Never had any corrosion issues must have bought 20 or more in my time.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I used to drive a 2.7 lt petrol version and it was thirsty .. very thirsty.. 20 mpg .. great van, bomb proof, fortunately the company paid for the fuel..

they are extremely popular in Australia and S Africa .. reliable and tough.

diesel should be a better economy but it's also automatic so do check .. just a guess, but 25 -30 mpg

will you be happy without a toilet and shower .. ?

if you plan to be independent of campsites, you may want to re-think and look at vans with these facilities..

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
We have a 2.7L petrol toyota granvia auto (so different from the Hiace that you posted) It's the same engine as the old Landcruiser I believe. Its a joy to drive. Had it 6years and no mechanical issues at all apart from a suspension arm. Does 25mpg including using the aircon and Webasto petrol heater when required and bowling along at 65mph. Has v little rust (superficial) despite being 22 yrs old. Haven't even replaced the brake pads in 6 years! Tax is quite a lot -ÂŁ255. It has still only done 80k km -

Upvote 0

Deleted User
As an addendum to my earlier post and having looked at the MOT history of the one advertised I would look at a recent import rather than one that has been in the UK for 8/9 years.

Japanese imports are virtually rust free as no salt is used on the roads over there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bennyyorkie

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
My daughter has one, 1998 Japanese import, with pop top, better for getting under barriers than high top versions.

Had it 2 years now no major problems, not great on fuel economy and a bit of a chugger.

If a recent import the underside should be ok but if it has been in the UK for a while make sure that there is no rust underneath, check previous MOT history.

Other drawbacks:

No room for even the smallest porta potty due to badly positioned electric box but this is probably down to UK converter, the main conversion was originally Japanese but they do not have a national standard mains voltage in Japan so a new system was needed for UK mains.

Only room for small camping gaz bottle which will be expensive if using off site much, hers has diesel heating so does not use much gas.

Many thanks for the info. Everyting looks great in theory but its only when you get to the nitty gritty, you can get a full picture. I saw one today by change in a car park, they do look very small in person. I'd be a little afraid of cabin fever. Also, as Id be carrying my dog with me, there is so much glass, theres nowhere to hige his crate if I went out for a few hours...have such a fear of someone taking him. Not totally logical.....

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bennyyorkie

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
We have a 2.7L petrol toyota granvia auto (so different from the Hiace that you posted) It's the same engine as the old Landcruiser I believe. Its a joy to drive. Had it 6years and no mechanical issues at all apart from a suspension arm. Does 25mpg including using the aircon and Webasto petrol heater when required and bowling along at 65mph. Has v little rust (superficial) despite being 22 yrs old. Haven't even replaced the brake pads in 6 years! Tax is quite a lot -ÂŁ255. It has still only done 80k km -
I'll have a look into these. Havent heard of them...but really I'm a novice so no surprise there! :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bennyyorkie

bennyyorkie

Free Member
Nov 10, 2018
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
I used to drive a 2.7 lt petrol version and it was thirsty .. very thirsty.. 20 mpg .. great van, bomb proof, fortunately the company paid for the fuel..

they are extremely popular in Australia and S Africa .. reliable and tough.

diesel should be a better economy but it's also automatic so do check .. just a guess, but 25 -30 mpg

will you be happy without a toilet and shower .. ?

if you plan to be independent of campsites, you may want to re-think and look at vans with these facilities..
Thats the question. I do need a toilet! Especially at night....with all the glass, there isnt much privacy for such things, even for a morning routine come to think of it!

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
MOT history looks good. Expires Jan 2019.
Straight pass every year except below...

Fail in 2012 for a loose exhaust mount

Major fail in 2010.....windscreen, fog lights... Loads of stuff.
Advisory for corroded sill and discoloured lights but that must have been repaired 8 years on.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
We had one that we self-converted back in 1990 ish. It was a Tokyo taxi before we had it!

Overall it was a great vehicle.

The main problems we had:

1) The starter battery was in a wire cage behind the driver's seat, sort of suspended part way under the floor and in cold weather it wasn't happy.

2) Exhaust parts were VERY expensive and had to be imported from Japan as they weren't standard.

3) It drank engine oil and in spite of lots of investigation we never got to root cause. In fact that is what killed it as I had loaned it to someone with instructions that they MUST check the oil levels on a daily (or twice) daily basis. They "forgot" and the engine seized. We were unable to source a new engine at economical cost.

Spares for the vehicle are now available from http://www.bbcspares.com/

Good luck

Upvote 0

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
My son has a Toyota import which was converted last year. It's got a 2.8 litre petrol engine, automatic gearbox and air conditioning. I think it's circa 2001 era, very low mileage and in excellent condition, but cost more than the one in your link. Yes, it is a bit thirsty, but he tells me it drives very well. He has a young family and they've been on a couple of long jaunts across France without incident. His is a pop-top, which has advantages and disadvantages - less well insulated than a fixed-high-top, but more convenient for getting into car parks with height barriers and slightly more fuel efficient (less wind resistance).

As others have said, small campers tend to use a single 2.7kg Camping Gaz bottle, which are very expensive to use on a frequent live-in basis.

In order to get more living space in a small camper, try to get something where the driver and passenger seats swivel round to become comfy daytime chairs - it can make a real difference!

Good luck. (y)

Upvote 0
Dec 17, 2016
Malvern
Funster No
MH
Hymer B525 2006 A cl
Exp
Thats the question. I do need a toilet! Especially at night....with all the glass, there isnt much privacy for such things, even for a morning routine come to think of it!
Its likely to have curtains for privacy. We quite often have them closed during the day when in car parks etc so that might deal with your concerns re the dog. We have a portapotty in the Granvia. It is a Wellhouse conversion by the way. They now covert the Alphard.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back