Tow bar for Auto-trail that can carry and small motor cycle (1 Viewer)

Essex Buoy

Free Member
Dec 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Just starting out
Does anyone make such a thing, I want to fit a tow to an Auto-trail that can tow and trailer and carry a small motor cycle at the same time

not having much luck when i google it

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Google motorcycle trailers UK......plenty of choice.

I’ve had a towbar fitted to our van to tow our motorcycles. (y)

Wikky

Free Member
Aug 6, 2020
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065+
Exp
Since 2003
Does anyone make such a thing, I want to fit a tow to an Auto-trail that can tow and trailer and carry a small motor cycle at the same time

Have a look at Watling Towing. They undertake the loading calculations and manufacture of bespoke towing brackets and scooter platforms.
They designed and manufactured the towing bracket when we had an Autotrail Cheyenne.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

It would depend on which Autotrail you have..and what trailer/weight you would like to tow............ but which ever model Autotrail it is I think you might struggle and suspect the only answer will be a bespoke bar

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Don't know about at the same time, check your axle weights and the plate to see what you can actually tow.
This is ours a 3500kg panel van so 3500kg 🙂
The train weight 6000kg so I can tow 2500kg then it's front axle 1850kg rear axle 2000kg.
https://www.watling-towbars.co.uk/ 🙂 Bob.
Screenshot_20201211-113429_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
There are very few Autotrails that have the capacity to carry a scooter on a rear rack (legally). Most will overload the rear axle. So do your calculations carefully.
If the van is registered BEFORE April 2012 then you can get something fabricated.
After April 2012 it must be "type appoved" and i would say 100% no one has ever made somthing to do what you want as its not viable due to costs of the approval and limited demands..

If your Autotrail has a long back end it will most likely have chassis extensions, these can limit the tow weight and also be a factor in fitting a towbar.

What model and year is the Autotrail ???

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Also depends what type of bike you wish to carry.
Dave Cooper does this type, but wouldn’t think it would be suitable for a scoote.
<Broken link removed>

Cheshirecat57

Free Member
Feb 3, 2018
Mid Cheshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years on and off
Notwithstanding all the other capacity/weight issues, a lot of towbars only have 100 kg nose-weight capacity which wouldnt be enough, so select wisely

OP
OP
Essex Buoy

Essex Buoy

Free Member
Dec 9, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Just starting out
There are very few Autotrails that have the capacity to carry a scooter on a rear rack (legally). Most will overload the rear axle. So do your calculations carefully.
If the van is registered BEFORE April 2012 then you can get something fabricated.
After April 2012 it must be "type appoved" and i would say 100% no one has ever made somthing to do what you want as its not viable due to costs of the approval and limited demands..

If your Autotrail has a long back end it will most likely have chassis extensions, these can limit the tow weight and also be a factor in fitting a towbar.

What model and year is the Autotrail ???
Comanche

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back