Tow Bar Bike Racks - choices (1 Viewer)

Jun 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
Ok - so after last post about storing bikes in the MH when travelling, we have decided to go with Tow Bar / Cycle Rack as the better option for two bikes.

Had a look at Thule and they seem ok, are there any other makes that you would recommend ?

Don't need folding racks and can lift bikes as required onto the rack, just looking for other options to choose from.....

Thanks in advance

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Thule are good bits of kit. I have one, Thule easyfold XL and when not in use folds up like a suitcase for storage. Can be locked on to towball and bikes can be locked on to rack. Bit expensive but well made. (y) Got mine from roof box.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

gradyp

Free Member
Aug 18, 2011
Widnes
Funster No
MH
Elddis Supreme 155
Exp
I use this one , but temp out of stock , very good rack

This one is a little cheaper and in stock , but for lighter bikes

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have a Thule tow bar rack.

With one electric bike @ 23kgs + my road bike at 9kgs it has never moved, even at 85mph on German Autobahns. We have found it superb and one friend, and our Son-in-Law have also bought one as a result.

Highly recommended by us! (y) :giggle:

Jan 1, 2017
eastbourne
Funster No
MH
van conversion, Peug
Exp
4 years
I’ve just been through this, ended up , after doing the forum to death, with Thule compact. Lovely bit of kit from Roofbox Company.
Easy to use ( youtube) and Roofbox Company khped me out with selection. Be aware its not just about weight but also wheelbase of bike.
Still cant fathom how it doesnt fall off, its rock solid .

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Thule eMTB on our car, works for us perfectly, not cheap but secure, easy to load...

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We’ve had a Thule and now have the Atera Strada DL3 as we have a PVC with rear doors . The thule is much sturdier for two electric bikes and we’d go back to it tomorrow if we didn’t have a PVC.

Jun 11, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840 SE
Exp
I went for the economy version, Halfords own brand for 4 bikes. It has carried two electric bikes to Spain and back more than once, no problems at all great bit of kit for the money.

1625725842358.png

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We’ve got a PVC with a detachable tow hook. The standard tow bars allow spacer plates and it can be lowered, so allowing adjustments. There is nothing on the market that will allow us to mount our bikes on the detachable hook and be able to open the back doors.

Sent measurements to various companies and none have one to suit. Yes there are the expensive swing out arms etc, but then we’d have to get rid of our tow bar.

We’ve had to stick with our Thule rack, and have to remove it to access the rear of the van. 🤷‍♂️

Oct 17, 2021
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Navajo
Exp
May 2020
Hi, has anyone used the Thule XT with an Autotrail mounted wheel cover. Will the wheel cover interfere with the bikes once on the rack? Thule say not suitable for rear mounted spare wheels.

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We’ve got a PVC with a detachable tow hook. The standard tow bars allow spacer plates and it can be lowered, so allowing adjustments. There is nothing on the market that will allow us to mount our bikes on the detachable hook and be able to open the back doors.

Sent measurements to various companies and none have one to suit. Yes there are the expensive swing out arms etc, but then we’d have to get rid of our tow bar.

We’ve had to stick with our Thule rack, and have to remove it to access the rear of the van. 🤷‍♂️

Our van has a detachable tow ball I got a longer one it's about 4" longer as would be fitted on a vehicle with the spare wheel on the rear like 4x4 have, and a Atera Strada DL3 and our doors open, when I take the rack off I put the standard ball back on. 😁 Bob.

20190512_110109.jpg

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Bob, liking that idea. I’ll see if my towbar manufacturer make a longer one, but the trouble with ours is the measurement between the top of the tow ball and the bottom of the door. Even with the extended tow ball the measurement will be the same. 🤷‍♂️ ……or am I missing something obvious…..not a surprise for me. ;)

E58DBE9C-F819-4371-B037-E78DBB124ACA.jpeg

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012

If you have barn doors, there are versions that attach to just one of the doors, so you can open them even with bikes attached, let alone just the rack. However, most are only good for 2 bikes.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
If you have barn doors, there are versions that attach to just one of the doors, so you can open them even with bikes attached, let alone just the rack. However, most are only good for 2 bikes.

We don’t want a door mounted rack. We want a rack that goes on our removable tow ball, but because of lack of clearance between the lower door and the top of the tow bar, there is nothing on the market that will allow us to open the back doors whilst rack fitted.

There’s a couple of threads about it. I’ve contacted various suppliers and manufacturers and they all say not enough clearance.

The detachable tow bars don’t allow for spacer plates etc like conventional tow bars. (y)

Apr 9, 2019
East Riding Of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
30 years Caravan 13 years Motorhome
We used to have the Thule cargo carrier box on the Fiama bike rack and the e bikes on the towball mounted folding thule type rack as it was easier to lift bikes on and off. The trouble was on the PVC was getting thru the back doors. The beat solution but expensive was the swinging arm attached to van chassis, it swings out on a jockey wheel.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We don’t want a door mounted rack. We want a rack that goes on our removable tow ball...

Yes, but it is another solution to consider if you want a cycle rack that enables you to open the doors. Obviously there are disadvantages that you need to drill the doors, can typically only take two bikes, aren't as portable between vans and it is very easy to close them on the back of your head! However, these disadvantages may or might not be important to you, and the search for a suitable towball mounted rack doesn't seem to be going well, so it is a potential alternative path to consider.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo TD590
Exp
Long time caravanner - almost 2 years a motorhomer
I bought an Atera Strada E-Bike M when my wife and I got ebikes. I like the way it tilts back to allow my Freelander's tailgate to be opened when the rack is loaded. It's able to take two e-bikes and is solid, easy to mount and demount from the towball. I'm going to use it on our Auto-trail moho shortly.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Bob, liking that idea. I’ll see if my towbar manufacturer make a longer one, but the trouble with ours is the measurement between the top of the tow ball and the bottom of the door. Even with the extended tow ball the measurement will be the same. 🤷‍♂️ ……or am I missing something obvious…..not a surprise for me. ;)

View attachment 549065
I don’t think it works with the swan neck type at all. Even with the other type you have to fix it to the lower two holes to make it low enough. This would be illegal for towing I think. We have the Atera Strada DL3.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Yes, but it is another solution to consider if you want a cycle rack that enables you to open the doors. Obviously there are disadvantages that you need to drill the doors, can typically only take two bikes, aren't as portable between vans and it is very easy to close them on the back of your head! However, these disadvantages may or might not be important to you, and the search for a suitable towball mounted rack doesn't seem to be going well, so it is a potential alternative path to consider.

Door mounted isn’t an option for us. We’d rather keep our present set up, pain that it is. (y)

We’re also looking into getting bikes, so not great for door mounting.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thule are good bits of kit. I have one, Thule easyfold XL and when not in use folds up like a suitcase for storage. Can be locked on to towball and bikes can be locked on to rack. Bit expensive but well made. (y) Got mine from roof box.
Got my Thule 2 bike rack 'used' for £50.
Bit of modification to take a slightly longer wheelbase electric bike... Just drilling the rivet from the plastic wheel carrier and moved outboard a few inches then self tapper and pop rivet.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
+1 for the Buzz rack. The version I have (on the car, we have a fixed Fiamma rack on the moho) locks on to the tow bar and can be tilted (with bikes in situ) to open the tailgate. Folds reasonably compactly when not in use.

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
An alternative to ball mounted rack the Witter zx88
The mainrack is added to the bolted on bit. The extention allows use of a thule rack 937?20211018_164241.jpg

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I don’t think it works with the swan neck type at all. Even with the other type you have to fix it to the lower two holes to make it low enough. This would be illegal for towing I think. We have the Atera Strada DL3.
I contacted Roof Box with measurements…….not enough clearance from ball to door. The DL3 would be our choice, but even that doesn’t work, so we May as well keep our current set up and hope something arrives on the market. (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back