Tow Bar Bike Racks - choices (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2018
Northampton
Funster No
MH
Rapido & Bongone
Confused. The OP does not post a picture.
Take a look at the photo in #17……I don’t have any back plate or bolts. ;)
For your application I'm sure a clamp or access to to lower clamp could be fabricated, if not an a less than simple, change the towbar.
i believe a dutch manufature produces a swanneck to flange adaptor

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Confused. The OP does not post a picture.

For your application I'm sure a clamp or access to to lower clamp could be fabricated, if not an a less than simple, change the towbar.
i believe a dutch manufature produces a swanneck to flange adaptor

It cost £850 to have fitted…. ;)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Bob, liking that idea. I’ll see if my towbar manufacturer make a longer one, but the trouble with ours is the measurement between the top of the tow ball and the bottom of the door. Even with the extended tow ball the measurement will be the same. 🤷‍♂️ ……or am I missing something obvious…..not a surprise for me. ;)

View attachment 549065
Yes the thule rack sits higher, the Atera Strada DL3 is only slightly higher on the ball, but I did have trouble with the factory in Germany the most unhelpful company I have ever delt with, we purchased ours in Germany but we couldn't take it to a supplier in Spain for a replacement bracket it had to sent back to the factory, it only has 3 screws and a tiny spring. 🙂 Bob

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Yes the thule rack sits higher, the Atera Strada DL3 is only slightly higher on the ball, but I did have trouble with the factory in Germany the most unhelpful company I have ever delt with, we purchased ours in Germany but we couldn't take it to a supplier in Spain for a replacement bracket it had to sent back to the factory, it only has 3 screws and a tiny spring. 🙂 Bob

I spoke to The Roof Box Company who supply them in the UK. Sent photos and measurements and they said it won clear the doors. 🤷‍♂️

Feb 18, 2018
South Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2018
We have a PVC and a Busbiker swing out rack that allows both doors to open fully. We can use the tow bar when we are not carrying bikes.

May 25, 2021
Scotland
Funster No
MH
RP Rebel on order
Exp
I have a Thule for the back of my Jeep. Very pleased with it. We have hard tail Whyte mountain bikes & chose a 3 bike carrier to fit 2 bikes, partly due to rear tyre on the Jeep. My wife's bike is a little smaller, so I put my seat down to fit both bikes facing opposite directions.

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Ok - so after last post about storing bikes in the MH when travelling, we have decided to go with Tow Bar / Cycle Rack as the better option for two bikes.

Had a look at Thule and they seem ok, are there any other makes that you would recommend ?

Don't need folding racks and can lift bikes as required onto the rack, just looking for other options to choose from.....

Thanks in advance
Thule one works for me fine with two electric bikes , very sturdy

Oct 17, 2021
Maidstone, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since September 2020
Another vote for the Thule xt2. We carry two electric bikes; a Trek @ 23kg and a Ribble @ 16kg. Works well and also tips away from the tow bar (although not a function we need). Like another poster, I have no idea how it stays on and am always anxious for the first ten minutes of driving!

Mar 18, 2013
Glossop
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
Since 2013
Hi, has anyone used the Thule XT with an Autotrail mounted wheel cover. Will the wheel cover interfere with the bikes once on the rack? Thule say not suitable for rear mounted spare wheels.
Hi, I bought a Thule Velocompact3 to carry our two ebikes because of the same concern re the rear mounted spare wheel on my Autotrail. I also bought the additional "bent" frame to clear the wheel. In the event I didn't need the bent frame as the standard one clears the wheel, but the two ebikes sit better on positions 2 and 3 of the rack without having to turn the handlebars. Hope that helps.

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
I have an Atera Strada dl3 on a PVC Rollerteam Toleno and with electric bikes mounted it slides back far enough to allow the doors to open. I believe the dl3 allows more clearance the the dl2.

Feb 6, 2014
suffolk
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
Hello, we have a Pendle bike rack, easy to load even with two heavy ebikes, been all over Europe without a problem.

Jan 10, 2020
Funster No
MH
Don’t own yet
Exp
Hi, has anyone used the Thule XT with an Autotrail mounted wheel cover. Will the wheel cover interfere with the bikes once on the rack? Thule say not suitable for rear mounted spare wheels.
Hi, I have an Autotrail Tracker LB with the Witter detachable swan neck. I use the Thule Velospace XT with two bikes. It’s spot on, great bike rack. I always turn the handle bars on the first bike to 90 degrees and have no problems with the wheel cover👍

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
I have an Atera Strada dl3 on a PVC Rollerteam Toleno and with electric bikes mounted it slides back far enough to allow the doors to open. I believe the dl3 allows more clearance the the dl2.
Have you got a picture please? Pondering same problem. Assuming you have a ducato base vehicle as well?

Aug 17, 2022
Middlesbrough, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Supersonic 890
Exp
We just use halfords own, excellent tow bar bike carrier. We have the 4 bike version

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
I guess it’s now a common problem:
1) base vehicle is PVC (Ducato)
2) 2 e-bikes is the cargo (so can’t use door mounted ones)
3) also want to be able to open doors, when bikes are loaded.
4) removable tow ball (swan neck?)
5) weight as low as possible…

Options
1) strada rack that swings out backwards
2) sideways pull out rack (look heavier…)

Anyone successfully achieve 1-4 above? Pictures appreciated.

enark

Free Member
Oct 28, 2022
Funster No
MH
burstner
Ok - so after last post about storing bikes in the MH when travelling, we have decided to go with Tow Bar / Cycle Rack as the better option for two bikes.

Had a look at Thule and they seem ok, are there any other makes that you would recommend ?

Don't need folding racks and can lift bikes as required onto the rack, just looking for other options to choose from.....

Thanks in advance
Witter, really good rack, did 1200 miles with two bikes on it recently, no bother. Much cheaper than Thule and also got a discount show code from MH show.

comes with built in no plate and lights, so can use on the car too.

Apr 11, 2022
Funster No
MH
Consort Oslo
Thule are good bits of kit. I have one, Thule easyfold XL and when not in use folds up like a suitcase for storage. Can be locked on to towball and bikes can be locked on to rack. Bit expensive but well made. (y) Got mine from roof box.
I second that, we use one on our 2023 Fiat Ducato Consort Oslo.

Jun 20, 2023
Funster No
MH
planning one…
Our van has a detachable tow ball I got a longer one it's about 4" longer as would be fitted on a vehicle with the spare wheel on the rear like 4x4 have, and a Atera Strada DL3 and our doors open, when I take the rack off I put the standard ball back on. 😁 Bob.

View attachment 549023
Have you got a link to the towball spec etc please? also which towbar are you using?
Thanks

Oct 27, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Frankia A Class
Exp
Since 2015
We have a Westfalia BC60. Folds up when not in use and can take 60kg.

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
Have you got a picture please? Pondering same problem. Assuming you have a ducato base vehicle as well?
I am away at the moment this is the only picture I have with the rack I will post more when I get back IMG_20220911_104355.jpg

Bobbydaisy

Free Member
Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV20
We’ve got a PVC with a detachable tow hook. The standard tow bars allow spacer plates and it can be lowered, so allowing adjustments. There is nothing on the market that will allow us to mount our bikes on the detachable hook and be able to open the back doors.

Sent measurements to various companies and none have one to suit. Yes there are the expensive swing out arms etc, but then we’d have to get rid of our tow bar.

We’ve had to stick with our Thule rack, and have to remove it to access the rear of the van. 🤷‍♂️
Some of the swing out ones re use your tow ball on it , you then fit a tow ball bike rack on to it . Having said that not researched it to confirm you can actually tow something with it if that’s why you want to retain the tow ball .

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Some of the swing out ones re use your tow ball on it , you then fit a tow ball bike rack on to it . Having said that not researched it to confirm you can actually tow something with it if that’s why you want to retain the tow ball .

Detachable tow hooks don’t usually have any adjustment on their bracket. Traditional tow hook brackets can be lowered and padded out using spacers, which then gives you enough clearance to be able to use several different bike racks on the market, and be able to open your barn doors. 👍

I no longer have a van anyway.😉

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back