Tow bar arrived today. First attempt at fitting. (1 Viewer)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Just a quick question? I am considering this welder. What do you think?
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/135te-turbo-mig-welder/

Probably put a decent regulator on it though.

I have one of those. works a treat as long as you keep an eye on nozzles & liner. I use that with a "pub bottle" as it is referred to here, carbon dioxide. & full size regulator.This cuts out the requirement to have a yearly contract @ some 200€ + cost of botle @around 70€/refill.
I find it perfectly acceptable using 0,8 . I rewind the small reels from full size 15kg rolls.
Perfect welds on thin body panels & on thicker stuff up to 4-5mm.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have one of those. works a treat as long as you keep an eye on nozzles & liner. I use that with a "pub bottle" as it is referred to here, carbon dioxide. & full size regulator.This cuts out the requirement to have a yearly contract @ some 200€ + cost of botle @around 70€/refill.
I find it perfectly acceptable using 0,8 . I rewind the small reels from full size 15kg rolls.
Perfect welds on thin body panels & on thicker stuff up to 4-5mm.
I am going for the hobbyweld bottles as recommended by @Wildbill ....
http://www.hobbyweld.co.uk/products/

Just finished the electrics. Now have a chest freezer in my trailer. Great for getting beer cold in an hour (y)

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Lend out your welders :eek:
There's three things I would never lend out my chainsaw welders and grinders
In my experience e that always com back f:swear2: there cheep enough for home to buy his own do the job for him but never lend out best way to end a friendship In my opinion
Bill
My next door neighbors just been done for murder:Eeek:
Killed his wife by hitting her over the head with a hammer
Lying git said he didn't have one when i asked to borrow one:doh::groan:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I lifted my bonnet to have a look in preparation for an oil change later this week and it reminded me that my bonnet hinge was busted. So yesterday ordered a new bonnet hinge (second hand) off ebay. It arrived today so cracked on with it.

Tried the spanners first, couldn't get into two of the bolts. Socket set wouldn't budge one and was risking stripping the head as it kept slipping off due to a slight angle.

Then I remembered, My new toy the impact wrench...

Smallest socket in the set was the right size (phew) 3 minutes later the new hinge was fitted. I love my my new toy. Seriously if you haven't got one and spend even a little time undoing bolts, get an impact wrench... Best toy in my set at the moment.

Stainless steel washers arrived today as well so I can finish the tow bar off later this week.

Then it is back to joinery making all the shelving for my Trailer. Jeez @Wildbill you have really given me the bug.

I haven't done an oil change in 20+ year, getting all these toys and seeing your engine change has really motivated me.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I lifted my bonnet to have a look in preparation for an oil change later this week and it reminded me that my bonnet hinge was busted. So yesterday ordered a new bonnet hinge (second hand) off ebay. It arrived today so cracked on with it.

Tried the spanners first, couldn't get into two of the bolts. Socket set wouldn't budge one and was risking stripping the head as it kept slipping off due to a slight angle.

Then I remembered, My new toy the impact wrench...

Smallest socket in the set was the right size (phew) 3 minutes later the new hinge was fitted. I love my my new toy. Seriously if you haven't got one and spend even a little time undoing bolts, get an impact wrench... Best toy in my set at the moment.

Stainless steel washers arrived today as well so I can finish the tow bar off later this week.

Then it is back to joinery making all the shelving for my Trailer. Jeez @Wildbill you have really given me the bug.

I haven't done an oil change in 20+ year, getting all these toys and seeing your engine change has really motivated me.
Stop it my hands are getting soft I can't do nothing just now owing to my shoulder.
Can only do the softy wimp paper work at the moment for the business .
Just can't stand it anymore having to see my son pull on the overalls and leave me behind
Crying over a unused discarded spaner
:crying:
Bill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
IMG-20170528-WA0009.jpg

It seems so long ago now
:(

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
@Gromett you got me going today sitting around doing nothing is was driving me nuts I got on of my older welders out and serviced it.
It had a sticking feed roller so I gave it a blow down with compressed air and a good dust down
It's working like new now
Just dust and crap in the dead roller bearing
Don't know if you know this don't use any oil or grease on any moving parts it attracts welding dust and grinder dust
It will act like a abrasive and ware out the bearing faster
Just give them a blast of air or use brake cleaner spray
Bill

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
@Gromett you got me going today sitting around doing nothing is was driving me nuts I got on of my older welders out and serviced it.
It had a sticking feed roller so I gave it a blow down with compressed air and a good dust down
It's working like new now
Just dust and crap in the dead roller bearing
Don't know if you know this don't use any oil or grease on any moving parts it attracts welding dust and grinder dust
It will act like a abrasive and ware out the bearing faster
Just give them a blast of air or use brake cleaner spray
Bill
Yes I was aware of that, but thanks for reminding me Bill.

I ended up going for a dirt cheap AC Buzzbox. Funds last week wouldn't allow me to buy the Mig welder, the gas cylinder and everything else. There was also the issue that most of the welding I have to do is upside down stuff and I am not sure how long it would take me to get to grips with mig welding upside down. Last thing I need is jaspers running off into my lap or worse....

Have some 1.6, 1016 rods and some 1mm sheet steel. Will have a bit of practice before I get under the van with it. Stick welding such thin stuff is tough but I am hopeful I will get back in my stride with it fairly easily. Just worked out the last time I did any welding was 1991. So 26 years ago.... I am definitely going to be rusty. But spent a few hours on youtube refreshing my memory and most of it was refresher stuff.

I have not done anything physical/mechanical since 1995 when I got back into computers for a trade. My hands are so soft even carrying a welder gives me blisters :p

I am actually really looking forward to getting the set out and start at it. Can't do anything at the moment as I am on my own in the middle of nowhere.. I don't like operating a grinder without someone in shouting distance. I have seen one to many of those things explode and fortunately no injuries but worried if I hurt myself I wouldn't be able to get to medical assistance.

Looks like early next week for me to get the metal cut, the underneath of the van ground/wire brushed and welded. But so close I can taste it now..

My Axle stands and Trolley jack arrived today as well. So I am slowly getting the gear together.

I have been fulltiming for 8 years now and due to the small size of the van I haven't been able to collect tools like I used to. Now i have the trailer I have cleared the back of the van out and have lots of space for all the new toys. Looking forward to starting to use them (y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Yes I was aware of that, but thanks for reminding me Bill.

I ended up going for a dirt cheap AC Buzzbox. Funds last week wouldn't allow me to buy the Mig welder, the gas cylinder and everything else. There was also the issue that most of the welding I have to do is upside down stuff and I am not sure how long it would take me to get to grips with mig welding upside down. Last thing I need is jaspers running off into my lap or worse....

Have some 1.6, 1016 rods and some 1mm sheet steel. Will have a bit of practice before I get under the van with it. Stick welding such thin stuff is tough but I am hopeful I will get back in my stride with it fairly easily. Just worked out the last time I did any welding was 1991. So 26 years ago.... I am definitely going to be rusty. But spent a few hours on youtube refreshing my memory and most of it was refresher stuff.

I have not done anything physical/mechanical since 1995 when I got back into computers for a trade. My hands are so soft even carrying a welder gives me blisters :p

I am actually really looking forward to getting the set out and start at it. Can't do anything at the moment as I am on my own in the middle of nowhere.. I don't like operating a grinder without someone in shouting distance. I have seen one to many of those things explode and fortunately no injuries but worried if I hurt myself I wouldn't be able to get to medical assistance.

Looks like early next week for me to get the metal cut, the underneath of the van ground/wire brushed and welded. But so close I can taste it now..

My Axle stands and Trolley jack arrived today as well. So I am slowly getting the gear together.

I have been fulltiming for 8 years now and due to the small size of the van I haven't been able to collect tools like I used to. Now i have the trailer I have cleared the back of the van out and have lots of space for all the new toys. Looking forward to starting to use them (y)
I personally would go with a bit thicker steel and sun bits of solid bar to put behind the weld aria as long as it's asesibill the solid bar takes away the heat and helps to stop burnthroug or sum 10 20mm flat bar
Bill

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I personally would go with a bit thicker steel and sun bits of solid bar to put behind the weld aria as long as it's asesibill the solid bar takes away the heat and helps to stop burnthroug or sum 10 20mm flat bar
Bill

Not much is accessible unfortunately. However the bulk of it is 1.4 or 1.6mm steel I am welding to. I will be doing lap joints and probably using the drill a hole and weld through technique to attach it solidly then do small runs alternately round the edge after it is solid. I got the 1016 rods specifically because they are low penetration rods.

If it doesn't work out, I will do all the prep work. get the metal cut and shaped to size and take it to my favourite garage for them to weld it in with their mig welder. But I honestly think I can get it done well enough for my needs.

I have bought some high zinc weld through paint, some seam sealant, some extremely good rust treatment and some spray on rust preventer. I have had good success with the Dinitrol in the past, expensive but worth it.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I also bought some 6 meter lengths of 5mm 50x50 angle for some other project.
I will be using a little bit of this to make a jig for making the convoluted sections. Hoping to make some nice fitting pieces to make the welding much easier.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Not much is accessible unfortunately. However the bulk of it is 1.4 or 1.6mm steel I am welding to. I will be doing lap joints and probably using the drill a hole and weld through technique to attach it solidly then do small runs alternately round the edge after it is solid. I got the 1016 rods specifically because they are low penetration rods.

If it doesn't work out, I will do all the prep work. get the metal cut and shaped to size and take it to my favourite garage for them to weld it in with their mig welder. But I honestly think I can get it done well enough for my needs.

I have bought some high zinc weld through paint, some seam sealant, some extremely good rust treatment and some spray on rust preventer. I have had good success with the Dinitrol in the past, expensive but worth it.
Plug weld everything pre drill the work piece
Make sure it's clean and you will be Ok
Bil

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Plug weld everything pre drill the work piece
Make sure it's clean and you will be Ok
Bil
plug weld. That was the word I was looking for. It ran away the second I tried to use it :doh::rofl::rofl::rofl:

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The last time I did any welding was on a pig farm. Everything was covered in pig muck, it was all galvanised and rotten.
I was up there as an electrician and they were trying to weld with 5mm rods on maximum current with a buzzbox.
They were blowing more holes and the gates were held together by previous attempts that looked like a bunch of hemaroids.

I asked if I could have a go. Once I had cleaned the window on the welder to see the settings and got some 2.5mm rods out of the shed (that they had never used).
I got a nice weld going and got one of the cross bars on the gate solidly welded in about 5 minutes. I then got roped into doing all the welding on the farm and ended up working there full time. Not bad to say I only went up to fix a wiring problem caused by rats chewing through cables in the barn.

So a long time ago but fond memories (y)

It's also where I learned to drive (on a 1950's tractors)

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
The last time I did any welding was on a pig farm. Everything was covered in pig muck, it was all galvanised and rotten.
Ha - me too! :D

Don't think I ever welded anything involving new metal since the day I left college!

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Sorry to burst your bubble boys BUT Plug and or stitch welding is not an exceptable repair standard for MOT prescribed areas, full seam welding is required for repair patches.

New Complete replacement panels may however be spot welded as per the original, "proving" all traces ie lips flanges etc are removed from the old pane,l what that means in essence is you cant spot weld to an old lip that is spot welded to the vehicle
The rumor that a tester may not scrape off any protective coating if unsuitable repairs are suspect only holds true for those that believe it, he can BUT must replace it if all is well
silicone produced welding seams do not escape us either;)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Sorry to burst your bubble boys BUT Plug and or stitch welding is not an exceptable repair standard for MOT prescribed areas, full seam welding is required for repair patches.

New Complete replacement panels may however be spot welded as per the original, "proving" all traces ie lips flanges etc are removed from the old pane,l what that means in essence is you cant spot weld to an old lip that is spot welded to the vehicle
The rumor that a tester may not scrape off any protective coating if unsuitable repairs are suspect only holds true for those that believe it, he can BUT must replace it if all is well
silicone produced welding seams do not escape us either;)

Sorry missed your post at the time. This is not in an MOT area fortunately. It passed with these holes in the van last time. I thought it was going to fail because of them but the MOT guy says not near anything structural.

I agree with what you are saying. I would never even consider plug welding near or on anything structural, and I would certainly want it done in something better than 1mm mild steel :p ;)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: Forgot to mention. I decided to clean it all up, do the rust treatment and plug weld the patch in place. I am then going to take it to my favourite garage and get them to mig weld the patches. They only persuaded me not to let them do it because of the cost and it's not MOT fail material. They suggested to save money I just rust treated it.

They reckoned the clean up, rust treat and welding would take 3 days which was prohibitively expensive and inconvenient for me. So doing it myself bit by bit made more sense.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back