Tow bar arrived today. First attempt at fitting. (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Jeez it is heavy, going to have fun lifting that into place.

Thought I would do a little dry fit today so I knew where everything goes when it comes to fitting..

3 problems. The holes the bracket are supposed to be mounted to are not threaded and they don't provide nuts... My guess is that they were once threaded but 13 years exposed to the elements has fixed that for me. Luckily I can get behind them to fit some nuts. Just need to get those ordered.

The second problem was the bolt that holds the suspension plate in place are rusted solid. Plenty of WD40 on them and leaving it overnight. If that fails then I will have to splash out on the Impact Wrench I have had my eye on for a few months now.

The plate that is supposed to fit flush to the underneath of the van fouls on a lip on the suspension mounting plate.. I think my only choice here is to get the grinding wheel to the lip. But there will still be a gap caused by the plate itself. Head scratching time. Possibly a washer between the bracket and the plate...

Oh well, at least I know what I am facing now...

I have a shed loading of welding to do as well :(

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
The Impact Wrench has no battery unless you already have some on drills ect where are you if you need a hand I am near Mansfield

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Bloody hell geomett you certainly have got the DIY bug
Just disappointing your not making it Frome scratch
Bill
I won't be getting my welding gear till next month, don't have the gear to cut the metal just yet either. But most importantly of all I am not competent to design and fabricate a tow bar... It cost me £100.00 to buy it and would have taken me 2 days to design and make at my most optimistic. I can earn more than that in 4 hours of work so made sense to buy it.

Replaced the air blower control mechanism the other week. Installing a full new electrical system on my trailer this week. Really getting into this doing it for yourself thingy.

Even considering fitting an eberspacher to pre-heat the engine, although that might be biting of a bit much for me :whistle::rofl:

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Even considering fitting an eberspacher to pre-heat the engine, although that might be biting of a bit much for me
Go for it geomett you be never know till you try better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all
Bill

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Go for it geomett you be never know till you try better to have tried and failed than never to have tried at all
Bill
You really are an inspiration with your engine change. It has been fantastic to follow (y)

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
To be honest it Ben a challenge 225 miles from home and very little tools
But it's done now
Bill

Once you have recovered, might have to pick your brains on my engine issues :p

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Just a quick question? I am considering this welder. What do you think?
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/135te-turbo-mig-welder/

Probably put a decent regulator on it though.
I have this one I use no gas and get every good results with it as long as the weld aria is good and clean
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/MIGHTYMIG100_4.jpg
It saves on the cost of gas and gives a good weld never had any problems with weld quality
And MOTtan I take all my vehicle's to a very strict MOT station

Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I have this one I use no gas and get every good results with it as long as the weld aria is good and clean
http://www.justoffbase.co.uk/MIGHTYMIG100_4.jpg
It saves on the cost of gas and gives a good weld never had any problems with weld quality
And MOTtan I take all my vehicle's to a very strict MOT station

Bill

I was tempted by the gasless but gas is so cheap now I didn't want to risk it. It also means I can do basic ally welding by moving across to 100% argon.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I was tempted by the gasless but gas is so cheap now I didn't want to risk it. It also means I can do basic ally welding by moving across to 100% argon.
Whare are you getting your gas avoid BOC like the plague I do
Hobby weld for my TiG welder
Bill

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I won't be doing huge amounts so the little cylinders will last me yonks.
https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/co2-gas-cylinder-600g/
Check out hobby weld and a decent flow meter
Those things Frome machen Mart are a waste of time And a rip off
Trust me you won't be disappointed with hobby weld gas
It's all I use with my TIG I use it for stainless ally and mild steel
Nothing worse than runing out half way through a job
Bill

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Check out hobby weld and a decent flow meter
Those things Frome machen Mart are a waste of time And a rip off
Trust me you won't be disappointed with hobby weld gas
It's all I use with my TIG I use it for stainless ally and mild steel
Nothing worse than runing out half way through a job
Bill
That looks great Bill, Do you use the HobbyWeld 5 for mig ?

Wish I could afford a tig welder and a mig welder. Mainly going to be doing my van so having to settle on the Mig.

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Wat flow rat you going to weld at
Bill
Just did the maths on it, at 10Lpm I would get a max of half an hour. Looks like your hobbyweld will be a better option. Thanks (y)

chesterfield hooligan

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Hucknall, Nottingham, UK
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
10 years
The little cylinders don't last long it dose depend on the flo rate and if you are welding outside and it's windy 135 amp's is enough to weld a tow bar if you are welding the chassis perhaps 90 amps to 110 thinner material less I have a inverter welder which I built a motorbike trailer with it will be some trial and error but very satisfying as I say if you need a hand give me a shout

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
The little cylinders don't last long it dose depend on the flo rate and if you are welding outside and it's windy 135 amp's is enough to weld a tow bar if you are welding the chassis perhaps 90 amps to 110 thinner material less I have a inverter welder which I built a motorbike trailer with it will be some trial and error but very satisfying as I say if you need a hand give me a shout

I could have gotten away with the 90amp one for my van. But I will also want to occasional lend it to a friend for doing gates/fences and general fab work. Decided to spend the extra £70 now and get a decent one that will cover up to 5mm mild steel.

I have some wind shields and most of the places that need welding on the van are sheltered.(y)

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Just did the maths on it, at 10Lpm I would get a max of half an hour. Looks like your hobbyweld will be a better option. Thanks (y)
Can't remember the size but I use argon 8/10 L min CH
And when I weld with my TIG gas welder I use pub gas get to know a land lawrd abut a Fiver the last time a swapped a cylinder
That might even have a sapar regulator
Valve the rig up a flow meter and save your argon for aluminum
stainless
Bill

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
I could have gotten away with the 90amp one for my van. But I will also want to occasional lend it to a friend for doing gates/fences and general fab work. Decided to spend the extra £70 now and get a decent one that will cover up to 5mm mild steel.

I have some wind shields and most of the places that need welding on the van are sheltered.(y)
Lend out your welders :eek:
There's three things I would never lend out my chainsaw welders and grinders
In my experience e that always com back f:swear2: there cheep enough for home to buy his own do the job for him but never lend out best way to end a friendship In my opinion
Bill

OP
OP
Gromett
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Ordered all my welding gear today and a bunch of tools.

I am particularly excited about getting my Ryobi Impact Wrench though..

These I am looking forward to having a play with. Will look great in my tool collection...

Anyway, enough drooling. Better get back to wiring up the new consumer units. Sockets and EHU plugs/sockets in my trailer.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Ordered all my welding gear today and a bunch of tools.

I am particularly excited about getting my Ryobi Impact Wrench though..

These I am looking forward to having a play with. Will look great in my tool collection...

Anyway, enough drooling. Better get back to wiring up the new consumer units. Sockets and EHU plugs/sockets in my trailer.
Come on geomett haven't you got it done yet :rofl:
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back