Tow ball mounted bike carrier (1 Viewer)

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Is this for standard bikes, or e-bikes? The carrier may need to take added weight?
What size bike, especially wheels / tyres - some carriers offer wider tracks than others?
Does you bike have cross bar, used for clamping to the carrier, or is it step through where you may need added attachment?
Do you need the carrier to move out of the way whilst mounted so you can open doors?
Are you limited with storage space when the carrier is not in use?

Personally I have a Thule Velocompact 925. I use it with just one e-bike, but two would potentially overload. In theory it tilts - which was great to open hatchback of a car boot, but insufficient clearance to move it out of the way so the barn doors of the PVC will open.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nasher

Free Member
May 6, 2016
Pontardawe
Funster No
MH
Pug Boxer
Exp
Since 2013
Have a look at Maxx Raxx (they work great for unicycles as well🙂)

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
We've had a Thule one for years -- very sturdy. Ours also has a wire basket that you can bolt on instead of the bike rails for carrying more general luggage. Once used the rack to transport a garden bench -- I was a bit worried about stopping at traffic lights during pub-chucking-out time, in case anyone fancied a rest and a sit-down. It looked a bit too tempting for my liking, but we got through unscathed.

Aug 31, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
I don't have a tow hitch on my MH but have one on my Audi Q3 and i am looking for one to transport two electric bikes . Audi have quoted me just over £500 for the 2 bike Audi bike carrier . I don't think this is a bad price , the Thule bike racks are about the same price , what do you think ?

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
I don't have a tow hitch on my MH but have one on my Audi Q3 and i am looking for one to transport two electric bikes . Audi have quoted me just over £500 for the 2 bike Audi bike carrier . I don't think this is a bad price , the Thule bike racks are about the same price , what do you think ?

With me being a tightwad, I'd consider resale.

A used Thule product will be sought after and valuable. An Audi product less so. It might make a significant difference to the 'cost of ownership'.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Think about how you will want to use the Bike rack, I have two racks the Westfailer and a Thule, the better engineer one appears to be the Westfalia and it allows things like access to the boot or on he Hymer the rear doors as it just Drops down whereas the Thule blocks the rear doors don't just buy any Bike rack based on cost, after all you have to live with the thing.

Bigbass

Free Member
Jul 26, 2020
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis CV 60 Chatsw
Exp
5 years but tent camper previously
Try Bosal, we carry two ebikes, it's steel and well-made, hinges down to access rear doors and after 5 years use still going well

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Is that the price for the bike carrier and installation of a tow bar, electrics and hitch? If so, not a bad price. If just the carrier, :eek:

We have the 4 bike version of this https://www.pfjones.co.uk/witter-to...qzOBr6UKtYAaek19lqIm4-Wo2hp0sOJRoCd_sQAvD_BwE

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We have an Atera e-bike carrier like this but no longer have a vehicle equipped with a tow bar...

AA8C58A9-0CD1-467E-A535-88BF95CC91B3.jpeg

Hadn’t really thought about advertising or selling it, but as we can’t currently use it we may as well let it go to someone who can. Let me know if it would be of interest.

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Thule easyfold XT, can take two ebikes that you can lock on rack, rack can be locked on to towball, you can fold it down with bikes on to gain access to boot etc and the whole thing folds up so easy to store and carry. (y)

John_B

Free Member
May 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Since 2016
Take a look at RoofRacks.co.uk they have a good range of tow ball racks for ebikes and normal ones. They offer good advice on suitability of different racks if you need to access a boot or open rear doors.

Oct 13, 2019
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Ar
Exp
Since 2016
Thule Easyfold XT2 is perfect, 2 e-bikes, and folds away for easy storage.

Mar 24, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Thule do a good range of bike racks. I have a Velo Compact for my car - expensive but a good piece of kit. BUT I don't use it on my MH because of the additional load. Do your calculations before you buy. A towball mounted rack weighs approximately 18kg. Add two bikes at say 11 kg each and that's a total of 40kgs on your overhang. Two e-bikes (excluding batteries) weigh approximately 21kgs each so that could potentially be a total load of 60kgs on your overhang which will affect your axle loads etc. So, proceed with caution and check the additional loading that you add to your MH. Best of luck!

mike_hafryn

Free Member
Sep 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic
Exp
On and off since 2010
Take a look at RoofRacks.co.uk they have a good range of tow ball racks for ebikes and normal ones. They offer good advice on suitability of different racks if you need to access a boot or open rear doors.

Can recommend Roofracks.co.uk - they offer an exchange scheme if the first rack you buy is unsuitable (as mine was!). I now have an Atera GenioPro, not cheap but very well designed and copes happily with 2 x 24kg eBikes.

Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
Comanche B16 1 MAN
Exp
Since 1992
We have a Thule two bike rack for our electric bikes. About £250 from Halfords. Excellent, well made and easy to load.

Feb 6, 2014
suffolk
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
You might like to look at Pendle bike racks, made for 2,3, or 4 bikes. I’ve had a two and four bike , strong, durable and simple, traveled all over Europe never had a problem with them.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Hi I am wanting a 2 bike tow ball mounted carrier any recommendations
Duffie

Your profile shows that you have an IH630. Do you need to be able to access the rear doors with the bike rack in situ? If so the Atera Strada DL3 will tilt and slide far enough away to be able to do this. It's not cheap but does the job. Otherwise one of the van-swing system with any tow bar mounted rack will also do the same.

If it's the rear lounge model you've got then you probably don't need to access the rear doors and a better value rack would suffice.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
With me being a tightwad, I'd consider resale.

A used Thule product will be sought after and valuable. An Audi product less so. It might make a significant difference to the 'cost of ownership'.
Couldn't agree more. I picked up my two bike Thule for £50.
Doubt it would carry two ebikes but then, I only have one.
Tips more than enough to open the cars tailgate with my bike attached.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back