Tow ball mounted bike carrier (1 Viewer)

Aug 31, 2020
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Audi tow bar is costing me £1,800.00 to fit then the £500 + for the bike rack . Has to be done by an Audi dealer so i am stuck in their price cartel !
Wow... I'm shocked!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 9, 2018
Funster No
Thule EasyFold XT 2 with 2 e-bikes weighing 25kg each. Absolutely brilliant. Folds up to put in boot when bikes are off. Very secure when in use. Cannot fault it.

josephR

Free Member
Mar 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
burstner 590 lyseo
Exp
since 1978 on and off
Hi I am wanting a 2 bike tow ball mounted carrier any recommendations
Duffie
i have a atera Strada 4 bike rack it’s not cheap but top quality
good deals from Roof box company they do a 2 bike rack as well

May 23, 2015
Weston super Mare
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
Since 1992
Your profile shows that you have an IH630. Do you need to be able to access the rear doors with the bike rack in situ? If so the Atera Strada DL3 will tilt and slide far enough away to be able to do this. It's not cheap but does the job. Otherwise one of the van-swing system with any tow bar mounted rack will also do the same.

If it's the rear lounge model you've got then you probably don't need to access the rear doors and a better value rack would suffice.
I have an Atera Strada 3 which I bought for my vw T6 which was able to clear the door to open. I now have a Peugeot boxer with barn doors and unfortunately it doesn't quite clear the doors with the bikes on.

Dec 21, 2016
Pyrenees France
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact Access
Exp
Since 2017
Thule Velocompact for two ebikes. Downside unable to open the rear doors fully, but enough to access if you need to.
20200608_142717.jpg

Lucky

Free Member
Nov 9, 2019
Limousin France & Yorkshire UK
Funster No
MH
Sunlight Cliff 600XV
Exp
Since 2016
Audi tow bar is costing me £1,800.00 to fit then the £500 + for the bike rack . Has to be done by an Audi dealer so i am stuck in their price cartel !

I'm not sure you are stuck. I bought a new Skoda recently (also part of the VAG) and the franchised dealer was happy to outsource the work to a local firm on the condition that a genuine VAG electrical loom was used, in which case the warranty is maintained. Total cost about £600 for a detachable bar with full electrics for a caravan.

Gixer

Free Member
Dec 16, 2018
South Wales
Funster No
MH
2018 Chausson EB
Exp
None
Used the Thule clamp-on type with my car for several years, including long trips, with no issues, easy to use and seemed secure - at least it never fell off with me !!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Wow... I'm shocked!
I used to think that until I was talking to a friend who ordered it supplied new on his merc. It wasn't just 'fit a tow bar' .It also got a modified turbo, uprated brakes, ecu modified programme for when towing,. It knows as soon as the plug for electrics is inserted , Couple of other thing s that I can't remember. That cost 2000€ & was also only the manual foldaway one!

Zoobec

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 11, 2020
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer PVC
Exp
You might like to look at Pendle bike racks, made for 2,3, or 4 bikes. I’ve had a two and four bike , strong, durable and simple, traveled all over Europe never had a problem with them.

seconded(y) we’ve got the 4 bike ones for our car, also been all over Europe without any issues.

davida71uk

Free Member
Apr 7, 2021
Solihull, UK
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohawk
Exp
Fairly New
Wow... I'm shocked!

Audi wanted to charge me near £2k also on an A3, apparently it also needed a larger cooling fan. I said I only wanted to carry a bike rack, not pull the Space Shuttle onto a launch pad. I had one fitted at tow-trust.co.uk in Atherstone (Warwickshire), £500 for a detachable towbar and replacing the rear valance which I purchased as part of the install from Audi. I found Audi strangely adverse to selling me the valance, asking all sorts of questions and saying it wasn't a part for my vehicle.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Audi wanted to charge me near £2k also on an A3, apparently it also needed a larger cooling fan. I said I only wanted to carry a bike rack, not pull the Space Shuttle onto a launch pad. I had one fitted at tow-trust.co.uk in Atherstone (Warwickshire), £500 for a detachable towbar and replacing the rear valance which I purchased as part of the install from Audi. I found Audi strangely adverse to selling me the valance, asking all sorts of questions and saying it wasn't a part for my vehicle.
I wanted to add a laughing emoji as I imagined you pulling a space shuttle. Interesting to hear the prize saving.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back