Touring Italy and Greece

Discussion in 'Greece Turkey' started by StephandJohn, Aug 2, 2018.

1. StephandJohn

StephandJohn Funster

Ratings:
    +644
    We have just come back from a fantastic tour of Austria, Slovenia, Croatia and Italy and were talking about next year and how to possibly beat what has been our best trip ever.

We were wondering about Southern Italy and then Greece. One idea is to see Lecce, Alberobello, Matera, etc and then get the ferry, possibly from Brindisi to Igoumenitsa, and then tour Greece, which will be our first time.

Any suggestions welcome.

2. tony_g

tony_g Funster

Ratings:
    +403
    Surprised you had no response to this. Plenty of Greece experts on Fun. We too have just had a fantastic autumn in southern Germany and Austria....possibly among our finest trips and Slovenia and Croatia are great, too. We have long intended to do a long Spring to Summer tour of Greece, so hope there might be some answers eventually. Mind you, there are plenty of other threads about Greece.

3. pandas

pandas Funster

Ratings:
    +333
    Lecce, mini Florence, is well worth’s visit along with the rest of the heel. Don’t forget Matera of course. Loads of great places in southern Italy - been exploring it for 8 weeks every year for the past 6 years and still more to see.

4. The Dudess

The Dudess Funster

Ratings:
    +6,213
    We've done this a couple of times and will be doing it again next Spring. I will try to answer any specific questions, however the one thing I would definitely recommend is 'Camping on Board' with Anek/Superfast. This means that you can stay in your van but also make use of the on board restaurants/bars and have access from the car deck to toilets and showers. Don't confuse this with Minoan Ferries offer of camping on board - they specify that you have to have a cabin. I think this is because they don't have open decks on their boats.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  5. Offagain

Offagain Funster

Pembrokeshire, Greece and everywhere in between
    Ratings:
    +10,199
    We’ve driven to Greece and back in a car several times but next year will be our first in a motor home. So rather than rushing straight down to Ancona and onto the ferry we will be taking our time exploring on the way and will be watching this thread with interest.

• Like it Like it x 2
    • Nice One! Nice One! x 1